Reload this Page >

Help - Definition of a 'POM'?

Wikiposts

Help - Definition of a 'POM'?

Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

berndbrot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - Definition of a 'POM'?

Apologies if this done before but i'm curious. What is the exaxt definition of a 'POM'?
I'm Welsh, does that make me a POM?
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:44 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Definition of a 'POM'?

Originally Posted by berndbrot
Apologies if this done before but i'm curious. What is the exaxt definition of a 'POM'?
Anyone from the British Isles is a pom, but you're less likely to be referred to as one if you're Welsh, Irish or Scottish.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

berndbrot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Anyone from the British Isles is a pom, but you're less likely to be referred to as one if you're Welsh, Irish or Scottish.
what if you don't consider yourself part of Britain
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'm Manx so I guess I am not a POM. In fact the Isle of Man has the same problem as Oz in the way that it has been invaded by the English and the Manx people have now become a minority.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Garsimm is a jewel in the roughGarsimm is a jewel in the roughGarsimm is a jewel in the roughGarsimm is a jewel in the roughGarsimm is a jewel in the rough

Go to this link for some ideas as to how the word "pom" originated.

It's quite a good read.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pom1.htm
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pom
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I think it makes you a TAF.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:29 am
Lovin it!!!!!!!!!

somedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to all

I thought it was Prisoner of her Majesties Service

as from the early days when prisoners went out there
POMS
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Turnbull is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was something to do with potatoes and scurvy???
Old Jun 28th 2006, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

TIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of lightTIFFIN SCOTT is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by somedogsdo
I thought it was Prisoner of her Majesties Service

as from the early days when prisoners went out there
POMS

I thought is was prisoners of mother england ...... kinda the same thing LOL
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TIFFIN SCOTT
I thought is was prisoners of mother england ...... kinda the same thing LOL
this is my understanding of it too
Old Jun 28th 2006, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I'd read somewhere it meant 'persons of means' referring to when people chose to go and live out there, way before the £10 poms!!!

N
Old Jun 28th 2006, 5:18 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Help - Definition of a 'POM'?

In my experience - and I speak as an Aussie who uses the word - only English people are classed as "poms."
Old Jun 29th 2006, 1:19 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
In my experience - and I speak as an Aussie who uses the word - only English people are classed as "poms."
The locals here agree with that - it definitely refers to English.

Something else I've noticed. When people (on here) mention "Prisoners of Mother England" they tend to infer this means "Prisoners from Mother England" whereas it's a bit of a joke really meaning the English are "Prisoners still in Mother England".

Yes - I know it comes from the word play Pomegranate - Jimmy Grant - Immigrant.

Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I agree, from a S.African point of view. A Pom is generally an Englishman