Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

HELP!! Calling all Technogeeks! Need to register a domain name

Wikiposts

HELP!! Calling all Technogeeks! Need to register a domain name

Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default HELP!! Calling all Technogeeks! Need to register a domain name

I would like to register a domain name so I can build a website for my daughter.

So far I have figured out (I think), that I can only have a .id.au address as an individual - the .com.au and .net.au need you to have an ABN number and be a sole trader at least. Is this correct?

Then, to register the .id.au address the web address must include the name of the person who register's it....except that I want the name of my daughter in the web address and she's only 10. Is there a way around all this?

Any advice about it would be appreciated and also a cheap place to buy the registration from would be good.

Thanks

Rudi
x
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:19 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP!! Calling all Technogeeks! Need to register a domain name

Originally Posted by Rudi
I would like to register a domain name so I can build a website for my daughter.

So far I have figured out (I think), that I can only have a .id.au address as an individual - the .com.au and .net.au need you to have an ABN number and be a sole trader at least. Is this correct?

Then, to register the .id.au address the web address must include the name of the person who register's it....except that I want the name of my daughter in the web address and she's only 10. Is there a way around all this?

Any advice about it would be appreciated and also a cheap place to buy the registration from would be good.

Thanks

Rudi
x
Sounds to me mate like you have been reading some misleading info....

I have a domain name: myfullname.com

Costs me a fee per year to use it etc....but no restrictions otherwise!

Just do a google search for domain names, find the one you want and then shop around to get the best deal on hosting it!

Is there any reason why it has to be a 'com.au'? Whats wrong with '.com' or '.net' or '.biz' etc.......? No restrictions on these as far as I know!

Try this website as a starting point, just enter the name you want in the top right corner and it will show you whats available and the cost:

http://www.telivo.com/

An equivalent Aussie site to try could be: http://www.cheapdomains.com.au/

Another alternative (and a heck of alot easier) would be an online site builder, such as these guys: Homestead

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer; Aug 27th 2006 at 8:26 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:34 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Thanks

Rudi
x
Yes you have had some duff info.

Anyone can register almost any domain name as an individual.

If you are going for a non .com.au domain name give www.123-reg.co.uk a go.

Rich
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Sounds to me mate like you have been reading some misleading info....

I have a domain name: myfullname.com

Costs me a fee per year to use it etc....but no restrictions otherwise!

Just do a google search for domain names, find the one you want and then shop around to get the best deal on hosting it!

Is there any reason why it has to be a 'com.au'? Whats wrong with '.com' or '.net' or '.biz' etc.......? No restrictions on these as far as I know!

Try this website as a starting point, just enter the name you want in the top right corner and it will show you whats available and the cost:

http://www.telivo.com/

An equivalent Aussie site to try could be: http://www.cheapdomains.com.au/

Another alternative (and a heck of alot easier) would be an online site builder, such as these guys: Homestead
Thanks for the info, but I think my original info was correct..... http://www.cheapdomains.com.au/domain_names/rules.html

The domain name is not available as a .com, .net or .biz.

I'm not really looking for a website building site and hosting thing, so the Homestead one goes a bit too far for me.

Anyone know any more about the Australian rules and any way around them?

Thanks

Rudi
x
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:47 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info, but I think my original info was correct..... http://www.cheapdomains.com.au/domain_names/rules.html

I'm not really looking for a website building site and hosting thing, so the Homestead one goes a bit too far for me.

Thanks

Rudi
x
Dunno what to say to that.....

To be quite honest, I'm very surprised!!! Had no idea such rules existed!

Have you tried all of the extension alternatives? .tv, .org,.me.org etc.....there are loads out there.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Rudi
x
Can't you change the name slightly so that it is available as a .com ?

Not that I know much about it, but I'm thinking that if maybe jane.com wasn't available, for instance, you could use janetheaussie.com instead