Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

HELP - anyone got a UK bank "Card Reader"

HELP - anyone got a UK bank "Card Reader"

Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

clan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really nice
Default HELP - anyone got a UK bank "Card Reader"

Hi

I just tried to transfer some money from our UK account (Nationwide).
Apparently, we need to use a card reader to finalise the transaction, and we haven't
received one yet.

I called the Nationwide, and they said the card readers are generic, and a Barclay's,
Nat West and Nationwide can read each others cards.

So, is anyone in Sydney (ideally on the Northern Beaches) able to let me borrow their
reader for all of 2 minutes so I can finish my transaction - PLEASE!!

Many thanks

Neil
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:48 am
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice
Default Re: HELP - anyone got a UK bank "Card Reader"

I don't have a card reader to lend, but I don't understand why you are having a problem either. Our Nationwide card works perfectly in any ATM and over the counter at Westpac, we had to transfer £14000 no problems at all, why may I ask are you needing a card reader to complete your transaction?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:11 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussiedreamz
I don't have a card reader to lend, but I don't understand why you are having a problem either. Our Nationwide card works perfectly in any ATM and over the counter at Westpac, we had to transfer £14000 no problems at all, why may I ask are you needing a card reader to complete your transaction?
Because the device that reads the card provides an identification sequence that will be recognised by the online banking system. It needs the card to read the details and then apply something akin to a cypher to it so as to ultimately generate an encrypted sequence that the online banking system will recognise.

The crux of this is that it is used in conjunction with online banking and not personal / physical banking.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:31 am
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

Oh! I see...
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:33 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

We have a Barclays one - but we are a bit of a trek away (best part of an hours drive and possibly a few tolls) I work in North Ryde if that might help?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

clan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarkMC
We have a Barclays one - but we are a bit of a trek away (best part of an hours drive and possibly a few tolls) I work in North Ryde if that might help?
thanks Mark - luckily, I had a friends whose wife had a Nat West one. I managed to use that and it all worked fine.

I've also ordered a card reader for myself.

Thanks anyway.

Neil
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by clan_campbell
thanks Mark - luckily, I had a friends whose wife had a Nat West one. I managed to use that and it all worked fine.

I've also ordered a card reader for myself.

Thanks anyway.

Neil
We had the same trouble with Nationwide in october. Order new car, try to transfer money via hifx and can't do it without card reader. Ended up paying for car on credit card incuring a 3% surcharge. Make sure they send your card reader to oz, we ordered one and they sent it to our old address in UK, we now have 3 of them.
Dave
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hunt66
We had the same trouble with Nationwide in october. Order new car, try to transfer money via hifx and can't do it without card reader. Ended up paying for car on credit card incuring a 3% surcharge. Make sure they send your card reader to oz, we ordered one and they sent it to our old address in UK, we now have 3 of them.
Dave
We had similar problems with all the banks issuing readers just after we came here last year. But there is another option, which is telephone banking. Of course quite often you need to be registered for that and I got lots of grief ringing UK etc as they had to call back and used an old mobile number they had. I kept telling them the number was not valid, but they kept calling it (to confirm who I was). Of course if I could have gone on line I could have changed it !