Wikiposts

Helman's Mayonaise

Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:06 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Helman's Mayonaise

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If your Coles doesn't sell it (all ours around do) and you insist on decent mayo then I suggest you make it yourself. Very quick, very very fresh and probably takes as long as the time you can spend ripping the plastic wrapper off the shop bought jar
Ah but there's always the risk that the eggs might separate if you're a novice...

*best Nigella voice* I find a tiny splash of boiling water sorts that right out.

I went to Coles last night and I took a pic for the shy rustling one:

On the left, Best Foods (strangely identical label to Hellmans) and on the right, Hellmans.
Hellmans comes in a slightly larger jar. Claims to be 410g and costs $6.34
BF cost $5.85 for that size and is 405g.

Both owned by Unilever - (Gord bless ya, Lord Leverhulme) and the Hellmans is imported from Canada which is why it costs more.

Presumably Coles knows that stupid British people will pay more for a label and so it sells both.

Attached Thumbnails Helman's Mayonaise-image0111.jpg  
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by RussellCat
Does anybody know where to get Helman's Mayonaise from in Adelaide?

I've done a search on here and the posts are from 2006 - so a bit out of date - Coles seemed to have some random stores stock it back then.

I saw inside a woman's shopping bag on the bus the other day who had a jar, but didn't pluck up enough courage to ask where she bought it from!

HELP!!! Never realised how good it was until it was gone!!!
Best damn mayonnise on the face of earth especially when making devil eggs.....
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Best damn mayonnise on the face of earth especially when making devil eggs.....
Best damn mayonnaise because it come from Canada. As Willmore and I can both attest, the best things are Canadian.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Best damn mayonnaise because it come from Canada. As Willmore and I can both attest, the best things are Canadian.
Hellmans in Coles comes from Canada....

But Unilever is British... and Dutch... but mainly British. Which explains why you love it so in Canada...

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Aug 31st 2009 at 11:35 am.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:46 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If your Coles doesn't sell it (all ours around do) and you insist on decent mayo then I suggest you make it yourself. Very quick, very very fresh and probably takes as long as the time you can spend ripping the plastic wrapper off the shop bought jar
But unless you're using quail's eggs then you have to make a pint at a time.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

The IGA's in Sydney sell it. If you have them in Adelaide, try there.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RussellCat
I've tasted it! It's NOT the same. There is Real "Real Helman's Mayonaise" out there in Adelaide! I've seen the evidence!

I've tried shopping around a few places - but there are so many bloody supermarkets here - it's difficult to get round them all!

Will have to keep on trying!

Thanks
For God's sake! From the wiki (my bold)

"Hellmann's and Best Foods are brand names that are used for the same line of mayonnaise and other food products. The Hellmann's brand is sold in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains, and also in Latin America, Europe, Middle East and Canada. The Best Foods brand is sold in the United States west of the Rockies.

Hellmann's and Best Foods are basically marketed the same way. They both have similar logos and web sites, and they have the same English slogan: "Bring out the best."
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Heinz baked beans are deffo different though......
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Rachel13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I got some at Foodland in Fairview Park but they only had the full fat version.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by kporte
Heinz baked beans are deffo different though......
Yeah, and Cadbury chocolate isn't any good either.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Yeah, and Cadbury chocolate isn't any good either.
If you enjoyed an Aero in the UK they are the same here....
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:24 pm

If you enjoyed an Aero in the UK they are the same here....
I never enjoyed an Aero. Too many bubbles.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:31 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I never enjoyed an Aero. Too many bubbles.
Yeah. What's with that? I'm not paying $2.00 for a bar full of air! Give me chocolate or someone's gonna get hurt.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

Yeah. What's with that? I'm not paying $2.00 for a bar full of air! Give me chocolate or someone's gonna get hurt.
The texture dances on your tongue.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:49 pm

Yeah, you pay for something you could essentially breath in. Strange.

The texture dances on your tongue.
What kind of dance? A slow waltz?

Space dust dances on your tongue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.