Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Heads up for people looking to book flights to Oz

Heads up for people looking to book flights to Oz

Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of
Default Heads up for people looking to book flights to Oz

Hi, not trying to be alarmist but a little warning here that prospective migrants should look at the safety procedures of airlines as well as the cost when booking a flight for themselves and their loved ones.

This is from today's Herald Sun Newspaper so hopefully a reliable report.
The article worries me because I have flown Emirates multiple times in the past and I thought they were a reliable and efficient company.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html

You can read the whole article yourselves if interested, but the parts that concerned me were ...

THE pilot of the Emirates flight that nearly crashed at Melbourne Airport with 225 passengers on board had almost no sleep the previous day and was following the airline's orders to take off at reduced power to save money on fuel.

Several sources told the Sunday Herald Sun that Emirates - like many modern airlines - ordered its pilots to take off at reduced thrust when possible to cut fuel costs, emissions and wear on the aircraft.

The thrust or power settings are determined by factors such as aircraft weight, weather conditions, the surrounding terrain and runway length.

But an Emirates source said the March 20 flight - EK407 to Dubai - was set at the "absolute minimum" thrust, leaving little room for error.

"There was no margin for error," the source said.
and

An Emirates source said the airline was in a risky situation because it did not have a culture that encouraged people to voice their safety concerns.

The source said some Emirates pilots were badly fatigued, but people were afraid to speak out.

"There is a limit to how far you can push people," the source said. "Those long-haul flights are really, really fatiguing and demanding.

"But a punitive culture means people are too afraid to speak out.

"Two things, (flight safety and the punitive culture) in my view, that do not match in 2009 and in a major airline.

"A very bad cocktail."
also

The two pilots involved in the accident were forced to resign 48 hours after they were flown back to Dubai.

Safety Bureau and Civil Aviation Safety Authority officials are thought to be concerned about the action taken against the pilots, but have no jurisdiction to intervene.

Emirates pilots, using false names, have flooded the internet to express their concern about rostering, fatigue and the action taken against the two pilots.

The men are expatriates and at least one has since returned to his home country.

The United Arab Emirates does not allow unions, so more than 2000 Emirates pilots employed worldwide are not covered by a union.
So not saying dont fly with this crowd, but as a family man who has done the trip back and forth between Britain and Australia many times with my wife and kids, you like to think that you are in the safest of hands.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of
Default Re: Heads up for people looking to book flights to Oz

Starting to get some comments from various people about the original article. Some sound VERY scary, and also bare out my thoughts that this is a once great airline going bad. I have read on other forums that Dubai is doing the economic downturn tough with some sort of property meltdown taking place, so maybe they are cutting costs on the flagship airline?

Gravelly of Qld, you are incorrect. Reduced Power takeoffs are the norm, and most airlines do it, primarily to save on engine wear (rather than fuel). In this case, it seems the incorrect weight was entered (100 tonnes or so lighter than the actual weight), so the corresponding thrust was too low. The aircraft then failed the become airborne before it had taken out an ILS antenna and a bunch of strobe lights at the end of the runway. Allegedly it only cleared the perimeter fence by a meter or so. Basically, it was a major human error balls up, which Emirates has handled very badly. My mother was on that flight, and will never fly emirates Egain. Because they screwed up???? No, because they treated her and all the passengers like crap afterwards.

Posted by: Stu of Brisbane 5:00pm today
Comment 12 of 14
http://www.news.com.au/comments/0,23...014090,00.html

I am currently planning a trip to UK for later this year, and regrettfully, I think I will be scratching these guys off my list. A shame. Singapore Airlines is looking good.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UncleKev
Singapore Airlines is looking good.
Here are details of an apparently near identical incident:

http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=20030312-0

Singapore Airlines flight SQ286 taxied to runway 05L at Auckland's International Airport and was cleared for takeoff. When the captain rotated the aeroplane for lift-off the tail struck the runway and scraped for some 490 metres until the aeroplane became airborne. The tail strike occurred because the rotation speed was 33 knots less than the 163 knots required for the aeroplane weight. The rotation speed had been mistakenly calculated for an aeroplane weighing 100 tonnes less than the actual weight of 9V-SMT. A take-off weight transcription error, which remained undetected, led to the miscalculation of the take-off
data
, which in turn resulted in a low thrust setting and excessively slow take-off reference speeds. The system defences did not ensure the errors were detected, and the aeroplane flight management system itself did not provide a final defence against mismatched information being programmed into it.
During the take-off the aeroplane moved close to the runway edge and the pilots did not respond correctly to a stall warning.

Who ya gonna fly with now?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

nigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nice

a slow boat is looking good !!.......but not the titanic
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:36 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nigel and wendy
a slow boat is looking good !!.......but not the titanic
most if not all airlines are giving guidance about 'efficient' take off and cruising - remember the stories a while back about them slowing down the flights to save fuel.

So long as you dont fly with garuda or some dodgy indonesian airlines, or whichever of China or China Eastern is dodgy then you are largely ok with oneworld/star alliance type carriers.

You could get an emirates pilot who flew 100hrs this month, or , a BA Pilot who just left spearmint rhino , take your pick, either way statistically you are more likely to get killed on teh way to the airport than in the air.

I take solace in this as I rack up my 300,000 airmiles each year.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Birtles is an unknown quantity at this point

On one of the Aircrash programmes, it was suggested that lower ranked pilots on certain airlines do not feel it is within the rules to warn or alert the higher ranked colleagues. This was put forward as the reason one airlines flight crashed when it ran out of fuel, the "junior" co-pilot did not dare warn the Captain the plane was running out of fuel.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

"An Emirates source said the airline was in a risky situation because it did not have a culture that encouraged people to voice their safety concerns."

here we go again. does qantas union own news.com? they spew crap every time there's an issue with the management or competition. senior emirates pilots are involved in international audits re power distance in the cockpit and trained airliners from delta to korean.

'a source'? puhhleasse. the rope is getting tighter.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

A preliminary report has been released by the ATSB into the Emirates incident:

EXACTLY as per the Singapore Airlines incident in AKL, take-off weight was incorrectly entered to be 100 tonnes too light, resulting in corresponding take-off speed/thrust being too low.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...00-661,00.html
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
A preliminary report has been released by the ATSB into the Emirates incident:

EXACTLY as per the Singapore Airlines incident in AKL, take-off weight was incorrectly entered to be 100 tonnes too light, resulting in corresponding take-off speed/thrust being too low.

All airlines experience problems. As a software tester I am only too well aware that anything involving humans is prone to failure. What is more of a concern is when we find that irrational over-reaction to failures, which can hint at systemic problems or cultural problems within the organisation.

From your link:

Neither the airline nor the ATSB have commented on why the pilot and first officer of the aircraft were asked to resign in the days following the incident.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

While we are on the subject:

While there were no injuries arising from the March 20 tail strike at Melbourne Airport, the company's reputation took a serious blow when aviation officials described the accident as the closest Australia has come to a major aviation catastrophe.

It was not the first safety scare at Melbourne Airport that involved an Emirates plane.

In 2001, the engine on an Emirates flight blew up as the plane was taking off from Tullamarine airport, scattering debris along the runway.

Terrified passengers reported seeing sparks and smoke, but again, there were no injuries.

And in 2004, an Emirates jet was involved in a similar tail strike, which led to its training and rostering practices being criticised by South African aviation safety officials.

In that incident, another Airbus - this time an A340-300 - struck its tail after over-running the runway at Johannesburg airport, wiping out lights as it struggled to get airborne.

It was later found the pilot had used a wrong takeoff technique that he said he had picked up as a training "tip".
and not to forget ....

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...0324-97qi.html

Australian charged over in-flight bomb scare
Paola Totaro
March 24, 2009

British police have charged an Australian man over an alleged bomb hoax that led to the evacuation of an Emirates flight at London's Gatwick airport on the weekend.

The man, Matthew Carney, 23, from Melbourne, was arrested on Sunday after a note was discovered on board an Emirates flight from Dubai to London. The note, found 10 minutes before the flight landed at Gatwick, allegedly suggested an explosive device was on the aircraft.
It looks like evidence of an organisation with lots of money to throw around, expanding fast, but falling down on the human factors.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

dont you just love google by the way ...

The following ad pops up when I view this thread ...

Ads by Google
Fly Emirates
The Dubai based luxury airline. Over 100 destinations worldwide.
Emirates.com/au

Classic!!!!!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

have you checked with "the emirates source"? it looks like their pilot not speaking up/jet fuel story is full of shit.

sorry buddy but qantas bankruptcy is imminent and assbackward country scare tactics the union is using are not going to save them.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:16 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lastere
have you checked with "the emirates source"? it looks like their pilot not speaking up/jet fuel story is full of shit.

sorry buddy but qantas bankruptcy is imminent and assbackward country scare tactics the union is using are not going to save them.
I hope they dont go bust , I'll have to make a decision now about wether to trade my million airmiles for a nice barbeque tong set, or perhaps a fondu. Choices choices....
Old May 1st 2009, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lastere

where does qantas come into this? Probably the last airline on earth that I would fly with. My favourite airlines in order are:

1. Singapore
2. JAL
3. Emiriates

The only reason that I even noticed these articles about Emirates is that they are one of my top 3 choices to fly with. Where does Qantas come into this thread? What is your agenda with your anti qantas rant?
Old May 1st 2009, 1:11 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Birtles
On one of the Aircrash programmes, it was suggested that lower ranked pilots on certain airlines do not feel it is within the rules to warn or alert the higher ranked colleagues. This was put forward as the reason one airlines flight crashed when it ran out of fuel, the "junior" co-pilot did not dare warn the Captain the plane was running out of fuel.
I've seen that one recently and in fairness it was years ago and one of the NTSB recommendations was for FD to undergo training in over coming such communication "blocks".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.