Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Headline news tomorrow: French woman arrested for strangling MIL with teabag string

Headline news tomorrow: French woman arrested for strangling MIL with teabag string

Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Headline news tomorrow: French woman arrested for strangling MIL with teabag stri

Originally Posted by eddie007
OMG TWO OF THEM!!!!!!!
You have my deepest, sincereist, most heart felt sympathies....
Thanks Eddie. Although by the sounds of yours, mine is pretty tame
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Headline news tomorrow: French woman arrested for strangling MIL with teabag stri

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
OK, this is what you do.
You eat the most fart inducing foods known to man or beast and you make yourself have a wind problem and you quite simply guff her out of the room. Or you could tell her you have a bad bowel infection and need to be isolated and will be retiring to the spare room, or better still you need your ensuite back so you can shite on demand.

Pretend to be sick, pretend to be infirm, pretend you have scabies - anything as to avoid contact. Ban her from smoking in the house - please god tell me she doesnt do that if you guys are non smokers? That is a big no-no! Ban her,

How thoroughly awful.
It's OK, she doesn't smoke in the house. I like your ideas though

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Elice - fix the MIL up with a one night stand with Amazulu. That will sort her out.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Beware, this is another MIL rant

Why did I bother giving my lovely large bedroom with ensuite to my MIL when she spends ALL of her time sitting on the sofa in the living room? I am the one that has to retreat to the small spare room to get some privacy. And she still uses the main bathroom because she likes to take a bath... Next time, she can stay in the spare room and I'll just keep my big bed and my ensuite!

She's been here almost a month and a half, and the furthest she has been on her own is GREENSBOROUGH PLAZA! That is ONE stop on the train and for those of you who know Greensborough Plaza, it's not the most exciting place in Melbourne... She has not been out to the city to check out the Christmas stuff, nor to visit museums or any of that stuff that most normal visitors to Melbourne would want to do.

All she does all day is entertain the chickens, read books and drink TEA by the gallon! I swear, if I drank the same amount of tea and coffee that she does, I would be climbing the wall! She drinks more tea and coffee than water...

I know I am being a bit (a lot ) intolerant but I am finding it very hard. I think what I find hardest is the loss of privacy. She never ever retreats to her room to read or whatever. Even in the evenings, when I'm watching something on TV of no interest to her, she'll still just sit there. I still have another 43 days of this. Not sure I can take it. I am tired of hearing stories about what the chooks did or how evil her ex daughter in law is. I need to let out steam. Hence this post

Also, she sucks her teeth, she shuffles her feet, she farts and burps, she had explosive diarrhoea that went under the toilet seat and that she didn't clean up properly, she takes more medication than anyone I know, including my 92-year-old grandfather (she's only 68), she can't work a camera/computer/dvd player/insert any technological device to save her life (my 3-year-old is more tech savvy than she'll ever be) because she won't try, she can't cook, she folds t-shirts down the middle, she irons UNDERWEAR FFS! (and scoffs at ex DIL's habit of ironing socks ), she doesn't rinse the dishes, she smokes and doesn't have a shower or bath every day so all her belongings stinks of stale fag smoke, she goes and buys crap stuff from the supermarket and hasn't even set foot in the deli across the street, she sleeps until 10 every day but won't go to bed early to give us some privacy, she doesn't remember anything we tell her about plans for the week/weekend ahead, she keeps closing doors when I want them open and opening doors when I want them closed, and she snores very loudly...
*rant over*
OK, I may be overreacting a bit but seriously, never again will I suggest that she come to spend 3 months here. I must have been drunk the day I made the suggestion! That'll teach me
Because you're a pushover. You have a need to please others at your own expense.

Do I win a prize?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
She irons underwear????

I know the loss of privacy is hard, but you are on the downhill slope to her going. Some, but not all, of the things you accuse her of seem a bit unfair- taking medication for example or drinking tea by the gallon- the first is necessary, and the second is a general thing among the older people- I am 51 and drink more tea than water- about 6 or 7 half pint mugs per day, and maybe half a glass of water. I even take all my medications with tea (no milk no sugar). Have you shown her how you like your t-shirts folded? I am presuming she is being kind enough to iron your things. As for the deli avoidance- she may be on a limited budget if she is buying stuff for you to eat. She may also be lonely and looking for company rather than being shunted off to her room like a small child in the evening.

And don't start me on using technology......I can't even see the buttons on the digital cameras or phones.................I get my 15 year old to do it.

Oh dear, I'm going to make someone a lovely mother in law.
Caroline, you are completely right, I am unfair. In fact, I will fully admit to being a biatch where my MIL is concerned. I am sure you will make a perfect MIL And yes, she does iron for us (she knows how I fold things and still won't do it though...), she does babysit on occasion (most notably on NYE, and I am very grateful for that!) and she tries to help around the house. So it's not all bad. I just need to vent a little

I guess my attitude stems mostly from the frustration of seeing her do NOTHING to make her life better over the last 14 years. She wasn't always on medication, she used to be able to walk quite well and to be quite fit but she let herself go. She was diagnosed with angina and still smokes.
She has some (not that much) arthritis and she stays inactive which makes it worse. She apparently has been diagnosed with diverticulitis, but after reading up on it, I doubt that's what is wrong with her digestive system. Once upon a time she was at various times a coeliac, gluten intolerant, had high cholesterol and couldn't eat citrus fruit. She eats toast like it's coming out of fashion slathered in butter and lime or orange marmalade , she eats cakes, pasta, and anything else that's around and she's taken a big fancy to the Schweppes citrus drinks She's also got a hernia of some kind and again, that is not helped by smoking, being overweight and not exercising.

I guess the history here means that I have a strong suspicion that she is a touch of a hypochondriac and must have a GP who is way too generous with prescriptions and diagnoses. My completely unprofessional diagnosis is that she is lonely and depressed and the medication she is on (including strong painkillers) really does not help her mental state.

Originally Posted by jothefw
In these days of careful washing ie "wash everything on cold to save the environment" I did see an article in a doctors surgery magazine some time ago (as in a little old and weathered) that said there was merit in ladies ironing their undies, the heat kills off any hiding "bugs" ..... what a thought
Methinks there aren't any of those bugs in Melbourne... I could be wrong

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Aw that sounds really shit. Have you tried talking to her about some of it? Maybe if you have a sit down and explain that you and your husband like to have an hour together in the evening before bed and would appreciate if she could maybe read in her room? How about getting a calendar so you can write down the plans for the week ahead and she can refer to that? Let her know that you like to rinse the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher (I don't rinse dishes either). And as for the smelling like stale smoke, just let her know (politely) that with summer being here she might like to shower daily to cool off. It may just be a 'conserving water' thing, so let her know it's ok to shower daily. In fact, encourage it...Maybe suggest she has her shower in the evening so you and your husband can have some time together while she's having her bath and getting into her nightclothes.

I'm sure she's not doing any of these things just to annoy you guys and would probably be upset to realise that she is annoying. She won't know if nobody tells her. It doesn't have to be mean or hurtful, but she does need to know.
Dorothy, I know she is not doing anything just to annoy us and you are very right in saying I should probably talk to her. But I know it'll hurt her feelings. And TBH, I can cope with most of the stuff, I was just having one of those days... However, the non-rinsing of the dishes is not before the dishwasher (I don't rinse there either), but it is when handwashing dishes! And she's quite quick in the bath or shower and then comes back out in her PJs to half snore on the sofa! I guess I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to telling her. I have mentioned a few things, but I feel like an even bigger biatch when I tell her and she goes all flustered and apologises. And then promptly does whatever it is again the next day She also gets upset if my OH and I argue - which we do sometimes like any normal couple - and thinks it about her. And she gets even more upset...
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spartacus
Because you're a pushover. You have a need to please others at your own expense.

Do I win a prize?
You get to take my MIL out to dinner! When are you free?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:48 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

I know how ya feel mine's a ****in nightmare, and FIL is even worse, I worked all over Christmas. 3 weeks into a 7 week visit, and have realised that they deserve eachother. pair of bastards

other than that all good
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Tee hee...
Couldn't help but think how alike my mother she sounds.

Apart from the constant tea drinking, leaving the collection of tea bags around our kitchen surface is a constant. I asked her if she was saving them for something special and then pointed out where the bin was.
She knows my leg's broken but can't help whacking the sofa every few seconds when she's making a point, which is basically all the time. The vibrations hurt but she doesn't even know she's doing it. Thankfully she left yesterday before I had to ask her to stop.
If we mention something about another town, she immediately acts like she knows everything about it and where it is. 'Ohhhhh, yes, Newcastle' in this knowing voice. She's been to Aus once before and therefore this has made her an expert on everything. It's like she can't admit to not knowing anything.
Every song that comes on, she'll sing through, but she doesn't actually know the words. A favourite song comes on and she'll sing it loudly a micro second after each word has been sung by the artist. It's the weirdest thing.
She'll either sing the words a micro second after, or hum loudly or 'la la la' along to it, but she doesn't freaking know it.
It's pure torture.
If she's not the centre of the conversation, she'll be put out. If it's not about her, she'll be put out.
Friends who came round for dinner the other night, the wife is a bit of a talker... because my mother couldn't get a word in and it wasn't about her, she picked up a book and read, right next to our friends on the sofa.
It was pretty embarrassing. I did pre warn our friends so they didn't take offence.
They're not staying with us because we simply don't have the room. Otherwise I think I would have gone insane.
But they're in Australia and all they've been doing is sitting in their studio place, praying (they're christians so they have to pray a lot it seems), drinking tea, endless tea, feeding birds bread, emailing people and... that's it.
We've given them a car to use, but they haven't really been anywhere. They've been to no lookouts, no tourist attractions...
Yes, they flew half way around the world to feed birds bread.
They're off to Tasmania later on but they haven't got anything planned... they're just going to see how it goes...
Presumably they'll go there, drink tea, drive nowhere and pray. Oh and email.

All in all, I think it's going well.
You know TP, by the sounds of it, it seems that she might be very like a lot of older English women.

I have to admit that I come from a completely different background (social, cultural and even financial) and so my MIL and I have nothing in common. My OH is very different from the rest of his family and so it also pains him to see what she is like and what her life is like.

She is lonely, bored and her spirit was broken by some past events. I feel pity for her, but I find it hard to completely blame circumstances when I have seen her really not help herself. She has no friends and all she does at home (in some godforsaken Cornish hamlet) is read the Daily Fail, watch ITV, take the dog for walks and smoke. Ever since I have known her, she's mentioned things she wants to do (French lessons, computer classes, volunteering...) but AFAIK, she has never actually gone out and checked out the local community centre or charity shop...

The other major hurdle for me is that we have nothing to talk about. She has no interests that I can relate to. And it makes it that much harder to have her in the house 24/7

At least I've gone back to work, so I'm out of the house most days! Unlike you I guess it is a good thing your mother isn't staying with you while you're stuck on the sofa...
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

BREAKING NEWS!

She went to the CBD today. OH took her there on the train and let her loose on Fed Square! She apparently went to ACMI, the Ian Potter Gallery, St Paul's, some shops and did a loop on the city circle tram. All that on her own!!!

Only took her a month and a half to get there!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

You know TP, by the sounds of it, it seems that she might be very like a lot of older English women.

I have to admit that I come from a completely different background (social, cultural and even financial) and so my MIL and I have nothing in common. My OH is very different from the rest of his family and so it also pains him to see what she is like and what her life is like.

She is lonely, bored and her spirit was broken by some past events. I feel pity for her, but I find it hard to completely blame circumstances when I have seen her really not help herself. She has no friends and all she does at home (in some godforsaken Cornish hamlet) is read the Daily Fail, watch ITV, take the dog for walks and smoke. Ever since I have known her, she's mentioned things she wants to do (French lessons, computer classes, volunteering...) but AFAIK, she has never actually gone out and checked out the local community centre or charity shop...

The other major hurdle for me is that we have nothing to talk about. She has no interests that I can relate to. And it makes it that much harder to have her in the house 24/7

At least I've gone back to work, so I'm out of the house most days! Unlike you I guess it is a good thing your mother isn't staying with you while you're stuck on the sofa...

I have as much in common with my MIL as ..... A very uncommon thing....

Honestly, I wonder how the heck my fantastic (as in great, not as in bizarre) husband can be in any way related to her.... HE must have been switched at birth, or maybe she stole him as a baby from a throroughly nice family...

Its unbelieveable....

At least your MIL Reads something.... Other than jeffrey Archer....

Another day of being regaled by an incessant steam of verbal diarhorrea about people I have never met, dont know and really dont care about... And itsall so bloody negative.... Criticising people, running them down, complaining about them... Jeez I'd be a fly on the wall when she goes back and complains about US ffs....
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Dorothy, I know she is not doing anything just to annoy us and you are very right in saying I should probably talk to her. But I know it'll hurt her feelings. And TBH, I can cope with most of the stuff, I was just having one of those days... However, the non-rinsing of the dishes is not before the dishwasher (I don't rinse there either), but it is when handwashing dishes! And she's quite quick in the bath or shower and then comes back out in her PJs to half snore on the sofa! I guess I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to telling her. I have mentioned a few things, but I feel like an even bigger biatch when I tell her and she goes all flustered and apologises. And then promptly does whatever it is again the next day She also gets upset if my OH and I argue - which we do sometimes like any normal couple - and thinks it about her. And she gets even more upset...
I'm sure the last thing you want to do is upset her, so just smile sweetly and vent away here.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:02 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

BREAKING NEWS!

She went to the CBD today. OH took her there on the train and let her loose on Fed Square! She apparently went to ACMI, the Ian Potter Gallery, St Paul's, some shops and did a loop on the city circle tram. All that on her own!!!

Only took her a month and a half to get there!
Transport is slow in Melbourne.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Transport is slow in Melbourne.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:48 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

In some country's if you dont iron your undies after having them on the line little tings do lay eggs in them and you get something called a putusi on your ass.

Its like a super zit for those who have not eaten here is the detail.

http://goafrica.about.com/od/healtha...t/putzifly.htm

After the first few weeks in africa my ass looked like a firing range...

Let her iron everything.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:23 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Having read this thread I am thinking of starting a new one entitled: I'm glad I came to Australia and that I brought my front loader washing machine with me that has a hot water inlet and that my instantaneous gas hot water system costs bugger all to run and that I have no family left and that my MIL was actually quite nice (an Oz one) but she passed away last year.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:56 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
In some country's if you dont iron your undies after having them on the line little tings do lay eggs in them and you get something called a putusi on your ass.

Its like a super zit for those who have not eaten here is the detail.

http://goafrica.about.com/od/healtha...t/putzifly.htm

After the first few weeks in africa my ass looked like a firing range...

Let her iron everything.
NOTHING could survive on Amazulus ass..... No need to iron there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.