having second thoughts

having second thoughts

Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

perth bound is on a distinguished road
Default having second thoughts

Thought it was all done and dusted, house sold due to complete 30.11.09 but
we are both having second thoughts.

Its everything, exchange rates crap, house prices gone up since we visited last year. Keep reading negative posts about cost of living in Perth, and Perth in general. My eldest son who is 12 doesn't want to go, the younger 2 would be happy anywhere

When we were in Perth for our reccie we thought this is it, this is where we want to be, but now I just dont know.

Half of me thinks as I'm not 100 per cent I should pull out, and the other half thinks sod it give it a go.

Another sleepless night I guess......
Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:39 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: having second thoughts

Lots of people have second thoughts, I think thats natural. You can always give it a go, rent for a while in Perth, and if it doesn't work out come back to the UK. When you get to Perth you'll probably remember exactly why you love it.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained
Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:49 pm
ABCDiamond

The problem now is.... if you don't try it, you may be thinking like that forever.

What if...........

At a rough guess, I would say 80-90% of people have felt similar just before the big move.

Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The problem now is.... if you don't try it, you may be thinking like that forever.

What if...........

At a rough guess, I would say 80-90% of people have felt similar just before the big move.
Yup...that was us too...especially when family back home was begging us to stay. But we're here anyway to give it a couple of years.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

We had massive second thoughts and wished we had listened to them, we had a fabulous life at home - 18 months on and still trying to make the dream happen!!!! Stay where you are I would say x
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

I have been wanting to make it out to Australia for 18 years. Never been able to just go that last mile. Then, one day, all the things that had prevented me disappeared and a photo in a magazine just made me think GO FOR IT! Lost over 50K (stirling) on the house. Came out here with nothing. Do I regret one minute of it. No. Not even in Perth.

If I hadn't done it I would, for ever, be thinking "What if".

You liked it when you came out here. You can make it work. You have to put some effort in yourself - it won't be handed on a plate. But surely better to try and find it might not be for you than to always regret not doing it. Go For It!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think that the whole process is so stressful, that it is not unusual to have doubts about what you are doing, there is so much that is unknown.
You really have to think about why you started on this rollercoaster in the first place, what you hope to gain from the move & what you are giving up.
Only you know your particular personal circumstances.

With regard to opinion on Perth, just remember that those who post on here are a minority of those living in Aus & that there are many folks living there quite happily (including some that post on here!)

Best wishes
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:52 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Perth is not for everyone.

It's a hot topic but you must decide for yourself.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:59 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody can help you here, in essence if you have a good life in the UK why move?

If you do move commit to it entirely.

Best of Luck, life is full of adventures, adventures always have challenges otherwise they would just be plain boring.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:00 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I would say if you were so close to going and not having some doubts creeping in I would say that you should take off your rose tinted specs! Of course you are worried! Yes its hard going at first unless you are one of the lucky ones to fall straight on your feet.
Have a good think about why you wanted to come here in the first place and see if those reasons are still valid, everyone has different reasons for wanting to up and go just as everyone has different opinions of why the like/dislike a place, dont forget one man's meat is another man's poison.
It's a big move of that there is no doubt and only you know what your expectations are and what is right for your family.
Good luck in your decision, we are here for you!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by perth bound

Its everything, exchange rates crap, house prices gone up since we visited last year. Keep reading negative posts about cost of living in Perth, and Perth in general. My eldest son who is 12 doesn't want to go, the younger 2 would be happy anywhere

When we were in Perth for our reccie we thought this is it, this is where we want to be, but now I just dont know.

Half of me thinks as I'm not 100 per cent I should pull out, and the other half thinks sod it give it a go.

By my guess (and the other comments on here) it happens to us all.

I felt exactly the same about 6 weeks ago, bursting into tears, not sleeping etc etc.... Now here I am all packed up, move out of my house tomorrow and I feel extremely calm. I think it does hit you at some point but then you have to think, if we don't try we will never know.

Yes it may all go t*ts up, BUT it may be the best thing you ever did.

My 11 year old also doesn't want to go and my 8 year old can't wait......

Nothing has to be forever, have a few and give it a go

Cheers
Louise
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

We pulled out of going to Perth a couple of weeks before we were due to do (if you look at my old threads you can read about it).

Anyway we spent the next few years continuing to wonder about it and (to be honest) I was a total pian in the backside to my whole family.

So we ended up going to Sydney in 2008..........hated it...stayed a year and came back.

But now I have scratched the itch and have no desire to go back.

I think you have to go otherwise you will always wonder what it.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

Go with your gut feeling
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you dont burn any bridges you should be fine. Come for the adventure if nothing else, if that is what your life is lacking. But there is nothing which says you have to like it and as long as you can make decisions about being where life is better for you then all will be well.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

as others have said - totally natural to have worries and second thoughts - it shows you thinking things through rather than just doing the "live the dream" bit. we've been in perth nearly 3 years and go back to england in around 10 weeks. Perth is lovely in many ways (as is Australia) but we now are sure that england is where we need to live - and just visit other places.

that said, thousands settle here and live the life we thought we might - you may be one of those. in any case, its something worth doing for the experience. but again as others have said, dont burn your bridges - we kept UK bank account and credit cards etc and hubby kept his work license up to date etc (ie paid even though not using) and it is making the transition home so much smoother!!

good luck with it which ever way you go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.