Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Have you been jabbed?

Have you been jabbed?

Old Aug 3rd 2021, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you been jabbed?

Originally Posted by Beoz
Why did you totally ignore Lion's article on death rates of those vaccinated and those not. It didn't suit your agenda?
You are presumably referencing some article that suits your agenda, I never read it.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 4:18 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Got my 2nd Pfizer one last Saturday, no side effects of the jab, so yay. Maybe, just maybe, I can hug mu mum again, after it has done it’s thing 🥰.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

60pct of the Covid hospitalizations in Wales currently are amongst the double vaccinated and they are reporting between 1 and 3 deaths per day... Hard to get proper figures on this. I do have heresay correlation from various hospitals in London... No official figures yet. https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www....h-21204579.amp
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 4:33 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Just got my first AZ shot
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
60pct of the Covid hospitalizations in Wales currently are amongst the double vaccinated and they are reporting between 1 and 3 deaths per day... Hard to get proper figures on this. I do have heresay correlation from various hospitals in London... No official figures yet. https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www....h-21204579.amp
Around the date the article cites, Wales was having about 1000 new cases per day and there were about 167 inpatients in hospital.

To put that in perspective, Sydney is having a bit over 200 new cases per day and there are 250 people in hospital.

I think its pretty clear, good vaccination numbers, like the 75% of the adult population is Wales is better than the 20% Sydney has right now in stopping the severity of the illness.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Around the date the article cites, Wales was having about 1000 new cases per day and there were about 167 inpatients in hospital.

To put that in perspective, Sydney is having a bit over 200 new cases per day and there are 250 people in hospital.

I think its pretty clear, good vaccination numbers, like the 75% of the adult population is Wales is better than the 20% Sydney has right now in stopping the severity of the illness.

Correct... It reduces the risk by what looks like 1000pct...however it certainly does not eliminate mortality like people seem to be anticipating. It's going to be interesting how WA for example reacts when and if they start to get deaths amongst the elderly double vaccinated

. Late last week St Helier hospitals ICU was full to capacity with double vaccinated patients and patients were being transported to other London hospitals.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 3rd 2021 at 7:42 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
. It's going to be interesting how WA for example reacts when and if they start to get deaths amongst the elderly double vaccinated
I will be getting the popcorn out to watch this play out.

McGowan has dug a very big hole he needs to climb out of.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 1:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
If you are pro vaxx thats ok with me. But try to keep a sense of perspective here.

I'm not anti vaxx in general as such either, particularly for serious disease, and where it works.

My two major objections are:

1) I have never believed in vaxxing against flu (or over medication in general). I'm not convinced this isn't just another flu blown out of proportion (many seem to forget how bad the flu can be).

2) This vaxx due to being rushed has a lot of problems and is setting dangerous precedents:-
Vaxx a) shouldn't kill people and b) shouldn't maim people and c) should provide inoculation.
We can see this is not currently the case.

We also have to wonder how far this will go - monthly top up jabs? Perhaps.
Forcing/coercing people to take dubious experimental medical procedures seems wrong to me, and unthinkable to most a couple years back.
Yet here we are.

I suppose I don't "believe" in vaccinations at all. I am in favour of using science and medicine to improve the human experience. There is zero benefit to getting flu. It kills a lot of people, the more vulnerable usually, but not always (see post WW1 flu epidemic), but there isn't any benefit to getting it at any age. Still less is there any benefit to getting the far more dangerous Covid 19. The idea of "building up your own immune system" doesn't really apply to vaccines, I don't think, because that is exactly what vaccination does - stimulate your own immune system to recognise and successfully attack and kill an invader, rather than succumbing to it and having the invader kill you. Both illness and vaccination produce antibodies in your very own system in the same way. Vaccinations can be better at it than our immune systems because they give us extra firepower, if you like, since all vaccines are based on the precise nature of the invading virus (and we don't have to get ill in order for them to work). It is our collective responsibility to get vaccinated, not just to protect the vulnerable now but to protect us all later - vaccine-evading variants of Covid evolve in pools of unvaccinated people because they are the ones providing the breeding grounds. Too be sure the vaccines do not (yet) provide a 100% level of protection, but it seems a bit odd to choose the huge risk of getting Covid while unvaccinated over the tiny risk of getting Covid while vaccinated.

Note that this is not at all the same as over-administration of antibiotic which is, of course, anti-bacterial (by definition) and not anti-viral. They act on the invading bacteria, not on your immune system. This is where the "building up your own immune system" has validity, and where it is absolutely possible to "overuse medicine" since the use of antibiotic where it's not really called for allows the invading bacteria to adapt to it and so the antibiotic becomes less effective for everyone over time (whether they took antibiotics before or not). So it is our collective responsibility to not overuse antibiotic where our own systems could fight off the invading bacteria alone.

The Covid vaccines were certainly developed much faster than normal, due to the emergency (vast numbers of people dying from Covid). However, they did all go through the same stages of testing that a vaccine would normally go through, only faster. So all we are lacking is the longer-term view. Imo, this is an easy calculated risk to take - millions of deaths have been prevented, as will millions more. There are very few meds/drugs/interventions/procedures that are completely risk free, but as far as I know all the risks associated with any of the vaccines are far lower than the risk associated with getting Covid. The blood clot problem with AZ, for example, is a far, far lower risk than the risk of getting blood clots from Covid.

If you define a vaccine as a "dubious experimental procedure" from the outset, then you are not open to evidence to the contrary. It is the classic example of "begging the question", where you state as a given in your premise that which your argument is supposed to prove.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Aug 3rd 2021 at 1:40 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are presumably referencing some article that suits your agenda, I never read it.
ok I'll play. Can you post an article that suits your agenda?
Old Aug 4th 2021, 1:59 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

If you are pro vaxx thats ok with me. But try to keep a sense of perspective here.

I'm not anti vaxx in general as such either, particularly for serious disease, and where it works.

1) I have never believed in vaxxing against flu (or over medication in general). I'm not convinced this isn't just another flu blown out of proportion (many seem to forget how bad the flu can be).

2) This vaxx due to being rushed has a lot of problems and is setting dangerous precedents:-
Vaxx a) shouldn't kill people and b) shouldn't maim people and c) should provide inoculation.

Forcing/coercing people to take dubious experimental medical procedures seems wrong to me, and unthinkable to most a couple years back.
Yet here we are.
The vaccine development wasn't rushed and is well within "normal" expected vaccine parameters as detailed here - https://www.smh.com.au/national/how-...03-p58fc7.html .

Vaccine technology has been around years - even mNRH technology is not new. The Pfizer jab just happens to be the first new tech jab on the market. Vaccines have eradicated (or close to) many illnesses that were lethal or highly debilitating. Good job your forebears weren't so reticent about vaccines for
  • Cervical cancer
  • Cholera
  • COVID-19
  • Diphtheria
  • Hepatitis B
  • Influenza
  • Japanese encephalitis
  • Measles
  • Meningitis
  • Mumps
  • Pertussis
  • Pneumonia
  • Polio
  • Rabies
  • Rotavirus
  • Rubella
  • Tetanus
  • Typhoid
  • Varicella
  • Yellow fever
otherwise you may not have made it to your keyboard.

Old Aug 4th 2021, 10:56 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

But apart from curing
  • Cervical cancer
  • Cholera
  • COVID-19
  • Diphtheria
  • Hepatitis B
  • Influenza
  • Japanese encephalitis
  • Measles
  • Meningitis
  • Mumps
  • Pertussis
  • Pneumonia
  • Polio
  • Rabies
  • Rotavirus
  • Rubella
  • Tetanus
  • Typhoid
  • Varicella
  • Yellow fever
What have the vaccines ever done for us
Old Aug 4th 2021, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Yet here we are.
Haven’t read so much uneducated nonsense in one post for many years!
Old Aug 7th 2021, 2:03 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I’m not submitting myself to experimental gene therapy,

I may well have made my last overseas trip or seen my last live gig but so be it.

Vaccine passports are the next on the agenda and **** that.

QLD isn’t a bad place to be left isolated.
Old Aug 7th 2021, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
QLD isn’t a bad place to be left isolated.
sarcasm?
Old Aug 8th 2021, 2:27 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I’m not submitting myself to experimental gene therapy,......
An mRNA vaccine is not gene therapy, and I suspect you know this. If this concerns you though, AZ is a viral vector type vaccine, and this type is a well established technology that cannot be classed 'experimental'.

Perhaps have a discussion with your GP to fully assess your benefits of vaccination

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.