Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Has ANYONE ever got their rental bond back?

Wikiposts

Has ANYONE ever got their rental bond back?

Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has ANYONE ever got their rental bond back?

Never had any problem ...but they can be stupidly picky:rolleyes
Only advice I can give is to use the cleaners they recommend - then there is no excuse.
Good luck in the future
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:56 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Has ANYONE ever got their rental bond back?

Originally Posted by julesandco
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The best way to cover yourself is to make a record of anything wrong with the property when you first move in, and leave the place in a better state than it was when you arrived.
I'm sorry Vash - it's a rental - is that not what you pay rent for?
Well, yes. But it costs nothing to clean a cupboard and wipe down the skirting boards.

I'll be damned if I'm paying out rent to the landlord and carrying out repairs from my own pocket to increase the value of HIS property. The place needed a total re-paint, hence he is doing it now - should I go that far, just to get our deposit back?
I didn't suggest that you should pay for repairs to increase the value of his property. I said that you should leave the place in a better state than you found it. This usually involves nothing more than a bit of conscientious cleaning.

I chose to have the shower tiles fixed because I already had a handyman in the house to take care of the cracked plaster (which was my fault anyway), and it only cost me an extra $20 for him to tidy up the shower as well. No big deal!

Perhaps that's it - I just don't get this rental business, where you pay rent, get inspected on your cleanliness every three months AND have to maintain gardens and their property. Kind of win/win for the landlord really.
Speaking as a landlord myself, I believe it's entirely reasonable to expect that a tenant will maintain the garden and take care of the property. I wouldn't expect my tenant to pay for maintenance (that's my job, after all) but I would expect them to show some respect for the place.

Glad I bought. I can let dust fester in my extractor fans now for as long as I like

Jules x

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 20th 2007 at 7:26 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

.... or is it a perfectly legitimate practise that Estate Agents appear to use to con people of their bond money?

We moved out on 1st March and got the list through today of items that require 'immediate' attention. These include (and I quote), sweep garage; Remove velcro dots to ceiling in garage ; remove blue tac (4 blobs) from wall above blinds! I kid you not, there are four pages of this cr*p! :curse:

We even paid out for Ovenclean to come in and professionally clean the oven - this still was not good enough: 'remove glass on inside of oven door and clean runs from inside' $99 we paid to have that done

The best part is, at the end of the (very comprehensive) list, they have written in block capitals: PLEASE TICK BOXES AS ITEMS COMPLETED. How are we supposed to do this when we no longer have the keys or access to the property and the owner is at the property painting and running repairs?

The letter was dated 13th March and we HAD to respond within 3 days or they would get their own trades people in to carry out the work - it only arrived today! I can just imagine the swat team of blue tac removalists that they must have on their books!

I'm SO fed up with them. It wouldn't be so bad if the estate agent hadn't driven us out in the first place with 4 eviction notices due to their error when calculating the rent repayments.

To top it all off, we hand delivered a reply letter to their office and the Director told the receptionist to refuse to issue us with a receipt for the letter! I had to shout and make a scene in the shop to get her to agree to acknowledge receipt.

So, come on - fess up - how clean is your home?

Thanks,

Jules x
we got our bond money back from centuary 21 in foster in less than a week and a thank you for leaving the place cleaner than when we moved in.
Janet
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:26 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Has ANYONE ever got their rental bond back?

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
we got our bond money back from centuary 21 in foster in less than a week and a thank you for leaving the place cleaner than when we moved in.
Janet
There ya go.

Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

[YES I got mine back.
Our agent was an absolute cow. She tried to keep our bond.
I went to tenants rights, they sent her a letter and i was prepared to go to court, she soon coughed up the money.
I ended up paying 160 for carpets cleaned. 165 water rates, and 40 for something , I cant remember. She wanted money for taps reseating, which we told her about again and again. Bedroom painting for 2 marks on wall [hubby went round and scrubbed them off with new tenants in].
We took 6 light bulbs round, they did not work when we went in, but we took them to shut her up.
Dont just take the shit, fight it, you have rights.
Denise
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:26 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
[YES I got mine back.
Our agent was an absolute cow. She tried to keep our bond.
I went to tenants rights, they sent her a letter and i was prepared to go to court, she soon coughed up the money.
I ended up paying 160 for carpets cleaned. 165 water rates, and 40 for something , I cant remember. She wanted money for taps reseating, which we told her about again and again. Bedroom painting for 2 marks on wall [hubby went round and scrubbed them off with new tenants in].
We took 6 light bulbs round, they did not work when we went in, but we took them to shut her up.
Dont just take the shit, fight it, you have rights.
Denise
Do you have a contact for tenant's rights?

We complained to REIWA, but this didn't have any effect. The guy from REIWA even knew the name of the Agent we were complaining about before we mentioned them - kind of says it all really!

Thanks for the info.

Jules x
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:28 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Well, yes. But it costs nothing to clean a cupboard and wipe down the skirting boards.

I didn't suggest that you should pay for repairs to increase the value of his property. I said that you should leave the place in a better state than you found it. This usually involves nothing more than a bit of conscientious cleaning.

I chose to have the shower tiles fixed because I already had a handyman in the house to take care of the cracked plaster (which was my fault anyway), and it only cost me an extra $20 for him to tidy up the shower as well. No big deal!

Speaking as a landlord myself, I believe it's entirely reasonable to expect that a tenant will maintain the garden and take care of the property. I wouldn't expect my tenant to pay for maintenance (that's my job, after all) but I would expect them to show some respect for the place.

We did show respect for the place and wipe everything down thoroughly before we left, but if the Agents got it in for you, the Agents got it in for you!

Bye bye bond money I'm starting to get very battle weary with with them and need to use my energy on more important things than ropey Estate Agents who treat their customers like dirt!

Jules x

Last edited by julesandco; Mar 20th 2007 at 8:38 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Yes every penny.

Looks like I just have a knack for things, eh?!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:41 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

We did show respect for the place and wipe everything down thoroughly before we left, but if the Agents got it in for you, the Agents got it in for you!

Bye bye bond money I'm starting to get very battle weary with with them and need to use my energy on more important things than ropey Estate Agents who treat their customers like dirt!

Jules x

name them and shame them
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:00 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

We got all of ours back with only minimal fuss
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
name them and shame them
If she does, the Mods or Admin will remove it. Too much danger of litigation I'm afraid but if Secret Harbour people want to know they can PM her.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a contact for tenant's rights?

We complained to REIWA, but this didn't have any effect. The guy from REIWA even knew the name of the Agent we were complaining about before we mentioned them - kind of says it all really!

Thanks for the info.

Jules x
send you a pm
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:52 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I know - we had Ovenclean do the oven and had the carpets cleaned professional (for which they have the receipts), and they are still complaining that the carpets need cleaning and the oven isn't up to scratch!

If the professionals can't mean their standards, what hope is there for us 'normal' people?

Jules x
take the receipts into them for the oven and carpets and tell them you have done your bit and if they r not happy they can contact the companies to come back out
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:50 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
If she does, the Mods or Admin will remove it. Too much danger of litigation I'm afraid but if Secret Harbour people want to know they can PM her.
carnt see how the mods etc can be legally held responsible for whats written in a public forum and wilst on that note you cannot be done for slander etc if your telling the truth

this bit i know as i once wrote a damming report on another contractors work, they threaterd legal action if i didnt withdraw my statement in writing after getting legal advice of our own we told them "see you in court" and they shit themselves
Old Mar 21st 2007, 5:05 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by steve`o
carnt see how the mods etc can be legally held responsible for whats written in a public forum and wilst on that note you cannot be done for slander etc if your telling the truth

this bit i know as i once wrote a damming report on another contractors work, they threaterd legal action if i didnt withdraw my statement in writing after getting legal advice of our own we told them "see you in court" and they shit themselves
i wouldn't want to chance it if i owned this site

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.