Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Has ANYONE ever got their rental bond back?

Wikiposts

Has ANYONE ever got their rental bond back?

Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:12 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Has ANYONE ever got their rental bond back?

This is a cracking idea I came up with before our rental came to an end.
Go in with about 3 months left on the contract, ask about their rental management fees etc, appearing to be thinking about buying an investment property and using them to manage it (because they do such a good job)

Our real estate guys fell over trying to be nice and we got all our bond back with no negatives ono the forms. Just goes to show they are all money grabbing and if its for themselves they will do almost anything.

Give it a go and see what happens, a few comments here and there work wonders.

Jenny
Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:02 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

iPom, the bond is held by the Estate Agents - no third party. They are notoriously bad; no one has a good word to say for them once they have dealt with them

They have treated us like dirt from day one.....

They miscalcuated our rent; it was $250 per week and we wanted to pay monthly via direct debit. I phoned them from the bank to find out the exact amount they wanted deposited. The Rental Manager was really arsey and said 'well, it'll be $1000, won't it?' Er - no love, but she wouldn't have it she was wrong! So we set it up for $1000 a month; all was fine until June when they finally noticed the discrepancy (we took on the lease in December ).

We wrote to them and explained the problem, they ignored it... month after month after month. They just refused to address the problem. They sent us FOUR eviction notices over the course of the year. We've met with their Director and she did nothing (apart from being very rude 'what do you want ME to do ab out it?'; didn't even answer a letter.

We had a rental inspection booked for 21st December and we wrote and changed the date as Mum was over from the UK and with 3 kids, the week before Xmas is a little manic to say the least! She turned up on the doorstep at 3.30pm - well, I'm here now - can I do it anyway? Er, No! Denied all knowledge of the letter, even though it was hand delivered to her receptionist, then accused me of throwing something 'hand written' at a lady in her office. Not at all - I printed her a copy there and then and she left with a flea in her ear.

So yesterday, after receiving this crappy letter about the blue tac dots, I formulated a response and dropped it personally into their office. I asked for an acknowledgment of the letter and she forbade her receptionist to give me one 'I've been told not to receive it'. That's when I lost it and started shouting like a fishwife in the Agents office.

Eventually, the receptionist came out - '*** will meet you at 4.30pm to discuss it' (it was about 3.10pm at this time and we had all three kids in the office. Not 'are you able to make 4.30? Would it be convenient?' We kindly refused and left them to reply to our PO box!

They are the rudest bunch of con artists I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. I just hope that the Karma they give out comes back to reward them with what they so richly deserve in the future.

Vent over - thanks!

Jules x
Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:04 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The agency made regular inspection visits throughout the term of my lease
Yep - we've had these too, although somehow, we've managed to trash the house with velcro dots and blue tac in the last 3 months

Jules
Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
I got my bond back in full. I had a professional company come into clean the place and threw that at the agent. I felt it was the easiest way to back myself up in the event of any dispute as any tribunal or court would certainly look favourably on that.
I know - we had Ovenclean do the oven and had the carpets cleaned professional (for which they have the receipts), and they are still complaining that the carpets need cleaning and the oven isn't up to scratch!

If the professionals can't mean their standards, what hope is there for us 'normal' people?

Jules x
Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by SalSa
OMG.....which agent in Secret Harbour is it??? (poohing pants now... )
.................. you'll find out...........

There aren't that many to choose from - it's the one with two offices in SH. I just really hope you're not with them!

Jules x
Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Joolz
We took photos of everything when we moved in and at the end the landlord wanted the windows cleaned (fair enough) and the garden mown - this we disagreed with as it was mid november and the garden was in the same state as when we moved in! We hired a mower and mowed it at 6pm after work (bear in mind it was pitch black night time in November!).

Landlord gave us our full deposit back and noted that we were the first people he has let to that got a full deposit back. We were ready for a fight before we saw him so I guess that helped!

On the flip side we let out a flat ourselves but the tenant has been in there for years so haven't had to think about giving his deposit back yet.. although I hear this new deposit scheme might mean we have to get our agent to do something...
I have got photos to back everything up. It was a tip when we moved in and the landlord is taking a week off work now to paint (we were promised we would have it painted when we moved in ) and fit an air con unit

We've knocked on the door and spoken with him and handed him a HUGE file of letters we've sent to the Agent and given him a little taster of how they've treated us. I don't think he's too impressed as they've lied to him about the rent too.

Fingers crossed that one day the horrible Agents will cross the wrong person. What goes around.......

Jules x
Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by julesandco
I have got photos to back everything up. It was a tip when we moved in and the landlord is taking a week off work now to paint (we were promised we would have it painted when we moved in ) and fit an air con unit

We've knocked on the door and spoken with him and handed him a HUGE file of letters we've sent to the Agent and given him a little taster of how they've treated us. I don't think he's too impressed as they've lied to him about the rent too.

Fingers crossed that one day the horrible Agents will cross the wrong person. What goes around.......

Jules x
Cor, never done that many posts in one go - EVER.

Must be very stressed. Off for a coffee and a hobnob to calm me down.

Thanks for all the advice. I only hope that we'll come out of it better in the end as we've bought a house now; we were that fed up with the abuse.

Guess what agent we WON'T be using when we come to sell?

Have a great day guys.

Jules x
Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:52 pm
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Jules, the only way you'll really hurt these people is through bad press - both to their regulatory body and of course the public.

I've never met any real estate agent (UK, Spain or here) that I would ever trust. 99% are just salesmen who would stab their Granny to get the commission.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
Jules, the only way you'll really hurt these people is through bad press - both to their regulatory body and of course the public.

I've never met any real estate agent (UK, Spain or here) that I would ever trust. 99% are just salesmen who would stab their Granny to get the commission.
I think you're right; they are just particularly 'orrible people. I warned you about them when you were considering SH.

How are things 'up north' then? Enjoying things?

Thanks for the thought.

Jules x
Old Mar 20th 2007, 4:33 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

.................. you'll find out...........

There aren't that many to choose from - it's the one with two offices in SH. I just really hope you're not with them!

Jules x
Didn't know one had got 2 offices down there ....We're with the blue coloured one!

Good luck in your new house Stick blue tack everywhere
Old Mar 20th 2007, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

We've had trouble with our estate agent in the first week of moving into our rental. On doing our check we noticed the outside tap was leaking and the oven and hob didn't work. My husband phoned them to be told he had to go down and put a maintenance report in, which my husband did. 4 days later no call from them, so my husband chased it up leaving messages after messages. He kept speaking to the head of maintenance and after a while they stopped being polite to each other. My husband phoned me up from work fuming, so i decided that i was going down in person. When arriving i asked for this person, the receptionist then came back to tell me that this person knew about the problem and had spoke to my husband. I calmly told her i still wanted to speak to her. When facing the woman you could tell straight away she was in no mood for me. She told me the cooker was being sorted and she didn't like my husbands tone of voice and that he had upset her. I told her our situation, how we had been treated, and the reason for my husband tone. She started to raise her voice at me. So i looked at her in the face and told her through my teeth to stop shouting at me (by the look on my face she could tell i wasn't happy and she $hit a brick) then she was nothing but apologizes. She admitted she was just as bad as my husband and we decided it was best to keep my husband out of all affairs with the rental and they were only to deal directly with me.

Now i'm thinking we're going to have big problems at the end of our term.

At first i thought it was because we were English that we were being treated this way. But stood in the reception office that morning i realized they spoke to most there clients this way.

Stacey

Forgot to add the cooker and hob got fixed the very next day

Last edited by stacey and jordan; Mar 20th 2007 at 4:55 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:02 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Has ANYONE ever got their rental bond back?

Originally Posted by Sandra
Did not have a problem getting our money back.

This is a good point to remind all those preparing to rent to take a detailed list of everything and I mean every little picky thing wrong with the place when you move in and get the rental agency or landlord to sign.

Video and photograph the issues if possible. This way you at least have some come back when they start saying the state of the place when you leave.

The report they tried to make my husband sign said the place was in perfect condition. 10 pages later I had finished listing all the major issues I had and then went on to the cleanliness of the place. Oven was stinking and I refused to be in the house when husband moved it from its place to clean. The dark brown explair turned out to be white but only after I took industrial bleach to it. I even noted down every nick and tear in the window screens and the number of light blubs not working. Paint work and carpets. The light bulbs where the spot type and there were over 30 of them round the house very few worked and I did not fancy having to pay to get them all replaced as we left.

The estate agent then excepted my report though I did invite them to come back to the house with me as I challenged their level of acceptable cleanliness.

After six months we and the owners dropped the agents and dealt directly. At the end of our agreed period the independant company refurnded the money.

Cover yourself as you move in and return property as found - argue crap issues as many estate agents and owners believe you won't. Read the booklet you have on your rights as a tenant and lodge a complaint with the bonds people if you feel you have been treated unfairly.

Cheers
Excellent advice.

The best way to cover yourself is to make a record of anything wrong with the property when you first move in, and leave the place in a better state than it was when you arrived. I got a handyman in to repair some damaged plaster (my fault) and some cracked tiles in the shower (not my fault; they were in a poor state when I arrived).

My rental contract had a clause which stated that I would be responsible for maintaining the garden (particularly the back lawn, which was relatively new). My lease spanned a particularly vicious summer, and despite all my efforts, it became obvious to me that there was no way I could keep the lawn alive until autumn.

I rang the agent and explained the situation, but also offered a compromise: I would let the lawn die, and re-sow it once the worst of the hot weather was over. The agent spoke to the owner, who agreed to my proposal.

I re-sowed the lawn by hand at the end of summer, after several days of back-breaking work with a rake. During the next few weeks, I nurtured that lawn like a newborn child - and by the time I left, it was looking great.

I think it can make a difference if you are able to meet the owner of the property before you move in; this gives you an opportunity to make a good impression. The owner of my rental lived in NSW, but he was in WA to arrange some things with the agent during the week that I chose the property, and I made a point of visiting for a pre-tenancy inspection on a day when I knew he would be there.

Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:34 pm
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

I think you're right; they are just particularly 'orrible people. I warned you about them when you were considering SH.

How are things 'up north' then? Enjoying things?

Thanks for the thought.

Jules x
Yes thanks mate, things are going o.k.

Actively looking for somewhere to buy. Got home loan approval today, so shouldn't be long. Mrs Pom is getting very impatient though, and wants
everything done yesterday!!

Hope you get things sorted with these robbin bar stewards.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:34 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a problem getting every cent back: have rented five times - six if you include the present one.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:50 pm

[QUOTE=Vash the Stampede;4540977]The best way to cover yourself is to make a record of anything wrong with the property when you first move in, and leave the place in a better state than it was when you arrived. /QUOTE]

I'm sorry Vash - it's a rental - is that not what you pay rent for?

I'll be damned if I'm paying out rent to the landlord and carrying out repairs from my own pocket to increase the value of HIS property. The place needed a total re-paint, hence he is doing it now - should I go that far, just to get our deposit back?

Perhaps that's it - I just don't get this rental business, where you pay rent, get inspected on your cleanliness every three months AND have to maintain gardens and their property. Kind of win/win for the landlord really.

Glad I bought. I can let dust fester in my extractor fans now for as long as I like

Jules x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.