Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Has ANYONE ever got their rental bond back?

Has ANYONE ever got their rental bond back?

Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:27 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has ANYONE ever got their rental bond back?

Originally Posted by julesandco
.... or is it a perfectly legitimate practise that Estate Agents appear to use to con people of their bond money?

We moved out on 1st March and got the list through today of items that require 'immediate' attention. These include (and I quote), sweep garage; Remove velcro dots to ceiling in garage ; remove blue tac (4 blobs) from wall above blinds! I kid you not, there are four pages of this cr*p! :curse:

We even paid out for Ovenclean to come in and professionally clean the oven - this still was not good enough: 'remove glass on inside of oven door and clean runs from inside' $99 we paid to have that done

The best part is, at the end of the (very comprehensive) list, they have written in block capitals: PLEASE TICK BOXES AS ITEMS COMPLETED. How are we supposed to do this when we no longer have the keys or access to the property and the owner is at the property painting and running repairs?

The letter was dated 13th March and we HAD to respond within 3 days or they would get their own trades people in to carry out the work - it only arrived today! I can just imagine the swat team of blue tac removalists that they must have on their books!

I'm SO fed up with them. It wouldn't be so bad if the estate agent hadn't driven us out in the first place with 4 eviction notices due to their error when calculating the rent repayments.

To top it all off, we hand delivered a reply letter to their office and the Director told the receptionist to refuse to issue us with a receipt for the letter! I had to shout and make a scene in the shop to get her to agree to acknowledge receipt.

So, come on - fess up - how clean is your home?

Thanks,

Jules x

Try this site. It might give you some info help.
www.complaintline.com.au/housing.html

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

(1) Consumer Protection Division (was Fair Trading)
of the Department of Consumer and Employment Protection
Consumer Protection has a section about Renting a home.
You can go to it by clicking here.
219 St Georges Terrace Perth 6000
Locked Bag 14 Cloisters Square WA 6850
Phone (advice & complaints) - 1300 30 40 54 (cost of a local call) TTY - (08) 9282 0800 (deaf and hearing impaired) Administration - (08) 9282 0777
Fax - (08) 9282 0850
Email link to Consumer Protection
Go to Consumer Protection's home page
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:09 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by julesandco
.... or is it a perfectly legitimate practise that Estate Agents appear to use to con people of their bond money?

We moved out on 1st March and got the list through today of items that require 'immediate' attention. These include (and I quote), sweep garage; Remove velcro dots to ceiling in garage ; remove blue tac (4 blobs) from wall above blinds! I kid you not, there are four pages of this cr*p! :curse:

We even paid out for Ovenclean to come in and professionally clean the oven - this still was not good enough: 'remove glass on inside of oven door and clean runs from inside' $99 we paid to have that done

The best part is, at the end of the (very comprehensive) list, they have written in block capitals: PLEASE TICK BOXES AS ITEMS COMPLETED. How are we supposed to do this when we no longer have the keys or access to the property and the owner is at the property painting and running repairs?

The letter was dated 13th March and we HAD to respond within 3 days or they would get their own trades people in to carry out the work - it only arrived today! I can just imagine the swat team of blue tac removalists that they must have on their books!

I'm SO fed up with them. It wouldn't be so bad if the estate agent hadn't driven us out in the first place with 4 eviction notices due to their error when calculating the rent repayments.

To top it all off, we hand delivered a reply letter to their office and the Director told the receptionist to refuse to issue us with a receipt for the letter! I had to shout and make a scene in the shop to get her to agree to acknowledge receipt.

So, come on - fess up - how clean is your home?

Thanks,

Jules x
Its a totally cheek!! the state they present these propertys in the first place!

We have been looking for a new rental got one now but some we seen were minging!
Old Aug 26th 2008, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

What does fair wear and tear actually mean??
We have lived in our rental for two years, have now bought, so moving out a week before our fixed term is up. We have looked after the property as if it were our own (being landlords ourselves and knowing what goes around comes around ) have paid for a fortnightly gardener and paid for pool maintenance, decorated two bedrooms (with permission) fitted draft excluders etc.....and paid high rent for an average house cause we didn't want the upheavel for the family until we bought..(which has taken 2 years)

Now we are moving out the landlord has said he expects us to..get this...pressure wash the patio slabs cause leaves from the trees have made them slimey, pressure wash all the brickwork on the outside of the house, clean the gutters out, and dry clean all the curtains...even though they are not marked...
DO we really have to do this? WE haven't damaged anything, and two years of fair wear and tear may suggest that the curtains need a dry clean...but not at our cost...totally **ssed off....it makes me angry when I have (or thought I had) done everything that I would want done in the house, including cleaning, and pottering (us girls like that don't we).....just really disappointed that we have to deal wit such an absolute *osser...
Wish I had not bothered now!
Rant over.....
Molly
PS we are in NSW.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:30 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

What does your rental agreement state - doesn't sound particularly fair to me unless you left the leaves on the paths all year. I can actually understand the gutter clearing but only as to me it is a standard job for a fire area.

Not forgetting you cannot currently pressure wash brickwork and patios with the water restrictions can we in NSW? So this means you have to hire someone.

The dry cleaning of curtains is a bit OTT if not marked - I have not dry cleaned my curtains in five years! Vaccum them yes and clean individual marks if necessary. Ask for the marks to be pointed out.

I hope your list of marks on the place where detailed very well as this guy does sound like a complete tosser as you say.

What do the agents say? Check out the NSW booklet on rental you should have been given is there any further details on this and possibly give the rental complaints boards and see if they can offer you any advice.

Best of Luck and hope it works out well.