Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else noticed the price rises?

Wikiposts

Has anyone else noticed the price rises?

Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of
Default Re: Has anyone else noticed the price rises?

Originally Posted by Burbage
Speaking of which, rabbit sould be pretty cheap.
And kangaroo too.

Fresh koalas are hard to find.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:49 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
And kangaroo too.

Fresh koalas are hard to find.
Roast koalas on the other hand...

I'll get my coat.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Proper rules apply to product naming in Australia.

It's air dried koalas.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:55 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Proper rules apply to product naming in Australia.

It's air dried koalas.
Air dried chestnuts on an open fire...

Yeah, that's going to catch on.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

The folks in Marlinton, county seat of Pocahontas County, took the concept to the next level. Twenty years ago they instituted an annual Harvest Festival. Centerpiece of this celebration is the Roadkill Cookoff. The contest has been featured on TV and in several regional magazines.

More here:
http://tinyurl.com/cxkz79
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed the price of fuel has gone way up again since Christmas without any complaints by RACQ/V/etc etc. Broccoli is silly money but apparently it's been affected by either the floods in QLD or the fires in Vic, not sure which
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:43 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I have noticed the price of fuel has gone way up again since Christmas without any complaints by RACQ/V/etc etc. Broccoli is silly money but apparently it's been affected by either the floods in QLD or the fires in Vic, not sure which

I've certainly noticed a lot of things on the rise:

Flat White: +30c
Bacon and Egg muffin: +70c
Schooner of beer: +50c
Pint of cider: +60c
Pub meal: +$1.60

It does make you wonder what shopkeepers, suppliers etc are thinking when the country is about to plunge headlong into a deep and dark recession and we really need them to be lowering prices to stimulate demand...

S
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

what is the profit made by fast food outlets,cafes, etc on food supplies before employee wages are paid i wonder 40% +?. not as if they pay megabucks to the shop staff or kitchen hands is it? prices in rural wa (jurien) in supermarket is shocking where we are.same with petrol.extra 20 cents on petrol the other weekend due to bank holiday.you would think they bring it up in jerry cans not f****off tankers!!!!.up north gets cheaper fuel than we do.lots of oldies in town fill up jerry cans and bring it back from perth when they have to go down for hospital appointments etc
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I must be some sort of celebrity as I couldn't tell you to the nearest 50c the price of anything food related... ("What's the price of milk")

All I know is that we are overpaying the mortgage like it is going out of fashion.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

That's just fowl ...

I work in food industry.
Prices have been going up for a long time.

Some dropped recently.
Chicken.

Quite a few producers thought that the crisis will hit very hard after Christmass and grown a lot of chickens.

Hard hit did not happen and market got flooded with chickens, prices droped, one of the big companies went bust.

Few more months for market to clear and chicken prices will go up quite a bit.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:31 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
("What's the price of milk")
You did ask.............

A Major Australian newspaper, on Sunday 16th March 2008, with headlines about SOARING FOOD COSTS, quoted the following examples:

2 litres Milk costs $3.33

and now, 12 months later, almost to the day, from Woolworths ...
Dairy Farmers 2 litres $3.37
Or the no-name brand for $2.17 for 2 litres

Or 2 litres Dairy Farmers from the local veg shop $2.20

Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:40 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
what is the profit made by fast food outlets,cafes, etc on food supplies before employee wages are paid i wonder 40% +?. not as if they pay megabucks to the shop staff or kitchen hands is it? prices in rural wa (jurien) in supermarket is shocking where we are.same with petrol.extra 20 cents on petrol the other weekend due to bank holiday.you would think they bring it up in jerry cans not f****off tankers!!!!.up north gets cheaper fuel than we do.lots of oldies in town fill up jerry cans and bring it back from perth when they have to go down for hospital appointments etc
Margins in the fast food industry are pitifully small - it only works as a business by relying on large volumes.

I could find numbers to back that up - (but I'd probably be breaching some confientiality agreement so wont). Suffice to say that some stores in *our* fast food chain are not profitable at all and are only maintained to continue the brand saturation and keep brand 'presence'.

Current IR legislation changes suggested by the government actually represent a 15-20% increase in staffing costs and would (if implemented strictly) quite possibly see all 120 Qld stores of *** fast food restaurants closed down as being non-viable businesses - putting around 6000 people (including me) out of work statewide.

Sorry your food is getting pricey - but seriously its not all evil capitalist profiteering!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Broccoli price goes up and down a lot, at the fruit & veg barn, or supermarket or farmers market. One week it may be as little as $2/kg but the next week it can be $9/kg. Sometimes I have to say to JTL he can't have broccoli for a couple of weeks.

Mrs JTL
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Sometimes I have to say to JTL he can't have broccoli for a couple of weeks.
Well, I've been saying to myself for the last 30 years not to buy broccoli

About the only thing I ever agreed with George Bush on..
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:22 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You did ask.............

A Major Australian newspaper, on Sunday 16th March 2008, with headlines about SOARING FOOD COSTS, quoted the following examples:

2 litres Milk costs $3.33

and now, 12 months later, almost to the day, from Woolworths ...
Dairy Farmers 2 litres $3.37
Or the no-name brand for $2.17 for 2 litres

Or 2 litres Dairy Farmers from the local veg shop $2.20

pura lite 2 litres $4.35 in our local IGA or drive 20k to Woolies. I know its a downside for living remotely but it really pees me off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.