Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Else Chosen Cr*p Godparents for their Children?

Has Anyone Else Chosen Cr*p Godparents for their Children?

Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has Anyone Else Chosen Cr*p Godparents for their Children?

Well, we thought we'd made good choices..... obviously moving to Australia voids any responsibility/care...:curse:

Only two of our six have kept in regular contact with our daughters. The others don't even remember their birthdays I'm not expecting presents, but even an E-card or email would be nice.

Should I sack them -- and/or not reply to them when they ask if they can stay with us

Disappointed...

Rachel
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:06 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Else Chosen Cr*p Godparents for their Children?

The whole godparent thing is a bit peculiar to me. I think there are two camps, those who see it as a serious undertaking and those who look on it as bit of fun - just something a bit extra to do at the christening. My best mate in the UK asked a friend of his to be godparents to his middle child and, when she started struggling at school, he paid her full tuition fees to a very expensive private school.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
My best mate in the UK asked a friend of his to be godparents to his middle child and, when she started struggling at school, he paid her full tuition fees to a very expensive private school.
I'm liking that one

I supposed I've had a bad history, as my Godfather is a millionaire and he's never been involved at all Boo hiss....

Yes, I think all ours just liked the 'glory'....
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:15 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
I'm liking that one

I supposed I've had a bad history, as my Godfather is a millionaire and he's never been involved at all Boo hiss....

Yes, I think all ours just liked the 'glory'....
If its any consolation, you are in The Basin they aren't

Does not appear the girls are missing out on anything, especially after more days to the beach

We are lucky to have lovely "local" godparents for our 2nd child. We chose a number of people for our first in different countries and lucky they all take it serious but with work committments we do understand a number of months go by with no contact - the touching base phone calls and emails worth more than sending lots of money.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
If its any consolation, you are in The Basin they aren't

Does not appear the girls are missing out on anything, especially after more days to the beach

We are lucky to have lovely "local" godparents for our 2nd child. We chose a number of people for our first in different countries and lucky they all take it serious but with work committments we do understand a number of months go by with no contact - the touching base phone calls and emails worth more than sending lots of money.
Tis true the girls are oblivious to it. Perhaps choosing singletons also makes a difference - they have other distractions
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:25 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
The whole godparent thing is a bit peculiar to me.
Me too. I'm not even sure who my godparents are - somebody my Mum was friends with at the time, I guess. I think it makes a lot more sense to chose family members, as they are the ones likely to be there for a child in an emergency. We no longer do christenings in our family, which is good for me as an atheist as I'd have to decline on grounds of ungodliness.

Has anyone else chosen crap godparents for their children? Well my friend whose daughter's godmother ran off with my friend's husband might have something to say about that.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rachel

My friend had/has the same problem - chose loads of godmothers for her two girls and OH was the only Godfather. We later became guardians and took our responsibilities seriously but were pleased once they'd reached 18!

However, although I think only 1 of the godmothers kept in touch. What may of done it was that they too moved abroad for a few years! Doing what we've done does funny things to friendships sometimes.

Seems a shame as it's quite an honor to be asked!

Might be best if you adopt some over here!

Yeah - don't let them come and visit you!

Kim x
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:53 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Growing up I can remember each of us wanting our godparents to be the ones who spent time with us at the beach. Not so much the receiving of presents at birthdays and xmas.

Something in that about time being worth more
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Growing up I can remember each of us wanting our godparents to be the ones who spent time with us at the beach. Not so much the receiving of presents at birthdays and xmas.

Something in that about time being worth more
I agree - much more important
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:22 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Never had my children christened so never had to choose godparents. Don't agree with choosing a child's religion for them... figured they'd do it when they were older (if they were remotely bothered about it)
Glad now - couldn't face the disappointment of yet more people in my life that were crap.

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Oct 20th 2008 at 7:27 am.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Never had my children christened so never had to choose godparents. Don't agree with choosing a child's religion for them... figured they'd do it when they were older (if they were remotely bothered about it)
Glad now - couldn't face the disappointment of yet more people in my life that were crap.
Same here, there was just no way on earth I was going to get them christened! If anything was ever to happen to the girls' father or myself then I would expect family to step in, not the godparents, so it's really a redundant role IMO.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rabsody
Same here, there was just no way on earth I was going to get them christened! If anything was ever to happen to the girls' father or myself then I would expect family to step in, not the godparents, so it's really a redundant role IMO.
I don't think these days, you expect godparents to take care of the children, if we drop dead. I really wanted to choose good role models that the girls could look up to or those that had an interesting life/fab personality.

As for religion - I figure there's no harm, it's not like I'm making them go to church every week. I couldn't give a damn what they decide to do in that respect. But a splash of Holy Water may ward of evil demons in the meantime
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Neither me or hubby or any of the kids have been christened so have no need of godparents. I was asked to be a godmother once but refused because I don't believe in god and felt it totally hypocritical to stand up in a cold musty, apparently religious building, in front of a guy in a frock and announce I would do godly things on the child's behalf.

Personally I think it's a load of bow locks but if someone agrees to do it, I think it's a for life thing and birthdays, special occasions etc should be remembered.

Can you sack a godparent? And if they don't bother with events, will they even care?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:21 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Our 2 don't have godparent (again not religious blah, blah).
1 was born here and the other was 14mths when we moved, so all she really knows is Australia.

However, if something were to happen to both of us, then the only family we have is in the UK. I am not really sure that I would want them to go back to the UK - wouldn't that be nearly as much a traumatic experience for them as losing their parents?

There is one close friendship I am forming and she is great with kids (has her own too), that I would consider but certainly not ready if to ask such a big task of.

Tis a difficult/unpleasant task to think about and is easily put off for another day....
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Can you sack a godparent? And if they don't bother with events, will they even care?
It would feel good - but they'd probably be grateful

Just pi**ed off as a long-time friend and godmother has forgotten her birthday again. So I emailed her and said I had some great pics of India's 5th birthday party on Facebook - pretty big hint you would think. Had jokes back since, but not so much as a 'good wish' from her. She wants to come and stay next year.... hmm, let me think....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.