Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Has anyone dug a telephone trench?

Wikiposts

Has anyone dug a telephone trench?

Old May 28th 2006, 11:11 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone dug a telephone trench?

Originally Posted by fraser
Thanks mate, I was looking through that site earlier.

I know where the pipes are and they're were I have to dig but should be at a depth of 600mm and I have to go down 300mm.

It all depends on whether they've sited them correctly, I'll have a word with the site manager first.
Was just about to say this exact thing. If you hit one at 300mm then its their problem.
Old May 28th 2006, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Nah, fraser's alright. He gets things done properly the first time around.
I know that. I saw his house frame.
Old May 29th 2006, 12:33 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Has anyone dug a telephone trench?

Originally Posted by iPom
I know that. I saw his house frame.
Oooh, you wicked woman!
Old May 29th 2006, 1:21 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt JackTheLad or ADogsLife have an epic adventure getting/digging a hole for some phone lines? posted it on here. Just before the Australian cashiers took a disliking to him.

(think they are still digging - may be wrong on that bit though)
Old May 29th 2006, 1:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
Didnt JackTheLad or ADogsLife have an epic adventure getting/digging a hole for some phone lines? posted it on here. Just before the Australian cashiers took a disliking to him.

(think the still digging - may be wrong on that bit though)
Isn't he looking for a $50 note or am I thinking of another thread
Old May 29th 2006, 1:24 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Isn't he looking for a $50 note or am I thinking of another thread
Think that one came after. By now the aborigines are probably blaming him for the whole "invasion" thing.
Old May 29th 2006, 1:38 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Oooh, you wicked woman!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 5:52 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I've been digging for 3 hours to 30 cm deep and then hit the gas pipe, which I was told should be 60cm deep, so the guy comes and fixes it and says no 30cm is fine but he isn't going to charge me

So the pipe is where I need to dig
Old Jun 9th 2006, 5:55 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Has anyone dug a telephone trench?

Originally Posted by fraser
I've been digging for 3 hours to 30 cm deep and then hit the gas pipe, which I was told should be 60cm deep, so the guy comes and fixes it and says no 30cm is fine but he isn't going to charge me

So the pipe is where I need to dig
Sorry to hear that. Bit of a bugger. Are you able to use an alternative route?

Could have been worse, though. And if you were arkon, I'm sure it would have been.

At least, that's what he'd be claiming...
Old Jun 9th 2006, 6:03 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

fraser, you should be able to get some helpful advice from the geezers at Dial Before You Dig.

It's a non-profit organisation, and won't charge you anything:

How much does it cost to obtain a location plan?

Cable and pipe location plans are provided for you free of charge and can be obtained by dialling 1100, which is a free call. Alternatively, you can complete the underground location request form on this website. Plans should be obtained in the planning stages of every project.

(Please be aware that occasionally some utilities investigate charging for plans. However, we will inform you if any such change takes place.)
Source.

Good luck! :scared:

Have you actually used Dial before you dig?

I have, last week. You get plans showing were the various utilities *ought* to be - in Telstra's case in such light print it's actually illegible, and the various symbols don't tally with the glossary, but we'll ignore that - and several pages telling you in no uncertain terms that even though you have done everything required by getting the information, the wires/cables/pipes might not be where they're marked and it'll be your fault anyway!

I've just told a contractor I'll accept his quote for fencing both sides of my lot but he will have to hand dig the cornerposts 'cos the plans are probably wrong!

So if all your comfusers go down this next week - you'll know who to blame!