Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been watching "The Real Australians"..

Has anyone been watching "The Real Australians"..

Old May 17th 2010, 5:39 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone been watching "The Real Australians"..

...on SBS One?

So shameful.....
Old May 17th 2010, 5:54 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone been watching "The Real Australians"..

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
...on SBS One?

So shameful.....
Do you mean First Australians?
Old May 17th 2010, 5:56 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Do you mean First Australians?
You passed my test...well done.....
Old May 17th 2010, 5:58 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

You passed my test...well done.....
See what you did there. Clever.

Yes, I saw it the first time around. It certainly doesn't show early British/Australian colonists in the best light!
Old May 17th 2010, 6:02 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
See what you did there. Clever.

Yes, I saw it the first time around. It certainly doesn't show early British/Australian colonists in the best light!
Apparently, it's all down to the Poms I keep getting told? Were The Stolen Generation the work of Britain, Australia or both?

My girlfriend recently explained to me that when Burke and Wills were venturing out they were hardy, courageous Australian pioneers. When they failed and eventually ran out of tea and subsequently died, they were once again British?
Old May 17th 2010, 8:39 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Has anyone been watching "The Real Australians"..

Apparently, it's all down to the Poms I keep getting told? Were The Stolen Generation the work of Britain, Australia or both?
It was the work of Australia. Some of the officials involved were British.

My girlfriend recently explained to me that when Burke and Wills were venturing out they were hardy, courageous Australian pioneers. When they failed and eventually ran out of tea and subsequently died, they were once again British?
That's a bizarre perspective. In my experience, Australians respect Burke and Wills as two guys who attempted the virtually impossible and damn near achieved it. And let's not forget John King (another Irishman), the only surviving member of the group!

I've never met anyone who considers them Australian. Burke was Irish and Wills was English; they were both born outside Australia and emigrated Down Under later in life, so I'm not sure how they could be called "Australian." If they were born and raised in Australia (like Henry Lawson and Banjo Paterson, for example) they could be legitimately described as Australian. Does your girlfriend know anything about Australian history?

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 17th 2010 at 8:46 am.
Old May 17th 2010, 10:57 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede;8569967I've never met anyone who considers them Australian. Burke was Irish and Wills was English; they were both born outside Australia and emigrated Down Under later in life, so I'm not sure how they could be called "Australian." If they were born and raised in Australia (like Henry Lawson and Banjo Paterson, for example) they could be legitimately described as Australian. Does your girlfriend know [i
anything[/i] about Australian history?
Sorry, it was an attempt at very dry British humour....
Old May 17th 2010, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

It was the bad pommie side of Australians coming out...we can't always control it
Old May 17th 2010, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

...on SBS One?

So shameful.....
I hope they make it compulsory viewing in schools. Would be nice if a few adults watched it too...
Old May 17th 2010, 11:12 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know if this is available on DVD other than from Aussie websites? I found it on amazon.com but it's $60....

ta!

Never mind, I think I can watch them online on the SBS website...
Old May 17th 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

It kind of makes the Australian governments apology to the Aborigines pointless though........... shouldn't it have been Lizzie doing the apology ??
Old May 17th 2010, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rossi
It kind of makes the Australian governments apology to the Aborigines pointless though........... shouldn't it have been Lizzie doing the apology ??
The shit continued through the years and was wholly owned by us Australians....no chance of palming it all off to Lizzie
Old May 17th 2010, 2:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The greatest contribution that the UK ever made to the world was colonisation. Sure, they got a bit tasty at times, but they needed to kick ass, and they did - sometimes with bells and whistles attached. The means justified the end.

The world is a better places for it. It means I can sit here typing this in a great, English speaking, country like Australia. That's the way it is - anything else is liberal/left-wing/loser mumbo jumbo.

Britain has nothing to apologise or answer for.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The greatest contribution that the UK ever made to the world was colonisation. Sure, they got a bit tasty at times, but they needed to kick ass, and they did - sometimes with bells and whistles attached. The means justified the end.

The world is a better places for it. It means I can sit here typing this in a great, English speaking, country like Australia. That's the way it is - anything else is liberal/left-wing/loser mumbo jumbo.

Maybe not (don't care), but Australians did.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu

The world would be an even better place if more people had empathy for their fellow humanity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.