Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Harvey Norman to open online store

Wikiposts

Harvey Norman to open online store

Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:32 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harvey Norman to open online store

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yup just read that myself. Unable to find a buyer. I wonder if the government realises that it's actions in protecting a small number of local publishers will likely kill off the book retail market in Australia.

No doubt we will get another raft of protectionist measures to prop it up for a bit longer...

S
That explains part of the story, but not all. The company was badly managed, expanded too quickly financed by debt and they cannot compete with the internet (they are struggling in the US too, another company I know).
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
And there go the rest of the Borders stores...

http://www.news.com.au/business/bord...-1226067905213
I was in one today, lured in by giant signs saying 30% off. Thought I might bag a bargain. Still way more expensive than I'm prepared to pay and judging by the relatively few people in there, I'd say I wasn't alone. And they wonder why they're going (gone) broke.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:17 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I was in one today, lured in by giant signs saying 30% off. Thought I might bag a bargain. Still way more expensive than I'm prepared to pay and judging by the relatively few people in there, I'd say I wasn't alone. And they wonder why they're going (gone) broke.
I wouldn't get too excited about their going out of business sale...at our local one it was a bit like a Next sale, crap appeared on the shelves that wasn't normally there. It was more like Bargain Books than Borders!

The huge Borders store on Chapel St, South Yarra is being taken over by a Target concept store...'Urban by Target'...Target on Chapel St! Whatever next!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I wouldn't get too excited about their going out of business sale...at our local one it was a bit like a Next sale, crap appeared on the shelves that wasn't normally there. It was more like Bargain Books than Borders!:
I walked in, checked a couple of prices and walked out again. The only things selling were magazines with 50c off I'll wait until they have the 90% off sale.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 5:48 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I walked in, checked a couple of prices and walked out again. The only things selling were magazines with 50c off I'll wait until they have the 90% off sale.
If you need some new shelves for the garage the bookshelves are quite substantial looking...think they were $75 a pop!