Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Harvey Norman to open online store

Wikiposts

Harvey Norman to open online store

Old Apr 1st 2011, 5:42 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harvey Norman to open online store

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Interesting as I've never had a problem with the GG - although as they operate under the usual Aussie franchise bollocks, I'm sure this could easily vary from store to store. The best service I have had at an electrical store was, surprisingly, Rick Hart (WA chain). The price, customer service, delivery time were all great. Good CS is out there, it's just not common!
yeh, I reckon you're right - its a franchisee issue
Old Apr 1st 2011, 5:56 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
i find customer service on the whole a lot better in Aus than UK

I can't say that I have really noticed a difference between either place. I would place them as being equally as bad as each other.

One of my main irks about the Australian shopping experience is the "We just can't be bothered" attitude. The number of shops I have encountered that would rather you just cleared off and spent your money with somebody else so they don't have to make any effort is enormous! Closing early, rushing people out before the closing time, "I can't do that because of such and such", only one till in operation, "We finished serving breakfast thirty seconds ago", "We close in 30 minutes, and I have to cash up, could you f**c off please" - it seems to be a disease here in Sydney, and they don't even care when you say that you'll take your custom elsewhere. They just look at you as if to say "Off you go then..."

S
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:17 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I can't say that I have really noticed a difference between either place. I would place them as being equally as bad as each other.

One of my main irks about the Australian shopping experience is the "We just can't be bothered" attitude. The number of shops I have encountered that would rather you just cleared off and spent your money with somebody else so they don't have to make any effort is enormous! Closing early, rushing people out before the closing time, "I can't do that because of such and such", only one till in operation, "We finished serving breakfast thirty seconds ago", "We close in 30 minutes, and I have to cash up, could you f**c off please" - it seems to be a disease here in Sydney, and they don't even care when you say that you'll take your custom elsewhere. They just look at you as if to say "Off you go then..."
S
to be honest mate I reckon queensland is more laid back and I don't get the stress I got in UK or other parts of Aus where shopping is concerned.

Mum went to a flower shop and being blind as a bat misunderstood the price of a pot plant. When the owner told mum the price, she said she was a pensioner and couldn't afford it so the owner gave her it and said "I'd like you to have it and want you to have a great day"

mum went to coles once and forgot a purse and was a dollar short, girl behind counter said it was ok, no worries

moral of the story; mum is a tight arse and Queensland shop assistants are lovely
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Closing early, rushing people out before the closing time, "I can't do that because of such and such", only one till in operation, "We finished serving breakfast thirty seconds ago", "We close in 30 minutes, and I have to cash up, could you f**c off please" - it seems to be a disease here in Sydney, and they don't even care when you say that you'll take your custom elsewhere. They just look at you as if to say "Off you go then..."

S
That is my biggest bug-bear in QLD. If a shop says it shuts at 7:30pm, and you go there at 7pm, they are shutting up, tills closed. And even if you say you can pay the exact cash they still look p'eed off.

It's definitely the style here. I know shops that say they close at 5pm, but the shutters are down at 4pm.

Even chip shops, which you would think they would be open to 11pm or beyond, say they shut at 7:30pm. I've driven passed them at 7pm and they are shut?

JTL
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
That is my biggest bug-bear in QLD. If a shop says it shuts at 7:30pm, and you go there at 7pm, they are shutting up, tills closed. And even if you say you can pay the exact cash they still look p'eed off.

It's definitely the style here. I know shops that say they close at 5pm, but the shutters are down at 4pm.

Even chip shops, which you would think they would be open to 11pm or beyond, say they shut at 7:30pm. I've driven passed them at 7pm and they are shut?

JTL
You sure they're not just hiding out the back?
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 2:49 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
to be honest mate I reckon queensland is more laid back and I don't get the stress I got in UK or other parts of Aus where shopping is concerned.

Mum went to a flower shop and being blind as a bat misunderstood the price of a pot plant. When the owner told mum the price, she said she was a pensioner and couldn't afford it so the owner gave her it and said "I'd like you to have it and want you to have a great day"

mum went to coles once and forgot a purse and was a dollar short, girl behind counter said it was ok, no worries

moral of the story; mum is a tight arse and Queensland shop assistants are lovely
I could do with a new TV, is your mother available for hire?
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I could do with a new TV, is your mother available for hire?
No. She's my Fagin

she's not for hire
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:32 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

There are signs up in the Perth store saying that gift cards will no longer be accepted from 3rd April. I'm friendly with some of the staff there and they reckon that the Perth store is one of their most profitable, so hopefully will stay open
I've just been told (gossip) that all but 5 Borders stores are about to be closed!!! Perth isn't one of those 5.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:00 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I've just been told (gossip) that all but 5 Borders stores are about to be closed!!! Perth isn't one of those 5.
http://www.borders.com.au/store-locator/

Looks like Perth stays...for now.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.borders.com.au/store-locator/

Looks like Perth stays...for now.
I hope so, although they have not had a decent magazine delivery for about a month
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I hope so, although they have not had a decent magazine delivery for about a month
I was there two weeks ago,they had all the magazines I wanted.What type of magazines are we talking about.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:34 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

And there go the rest of the Borders stores...

http://www.news.com.au/business/bord...-1226067905213
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:42 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Yup just read that myself. Unable to find a buyer. I wonder if the government realises that it's actions in protecting a small number of local publishers will likely kill off the book retail market in Australia.

No doubt we will get another raft of protectionist measures to prop it up for a bit longer...

S
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

If they match MSY on computer/peripheral prices I might.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That's a pity, I'll have to find other ways to spend my lunch break.

I was just in the Perth store and they have 20-40% off all stock. A book I was looking at is still cheaper online, even with 40% off - which tells you everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.