Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

It happens here, sadly it happened to me...

It happens here, sadly it happened to me...

Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Angry It happens here, sadly it happened to me...

Mistakes happens here too, here is my experience at the Flinders hospital in Adelaide, I apologize in advance its very long thread, hope what I'm going through wont happened to any body else. Here how it started.

Pt 1

After waiting to have this operation back in UK for 2 years on NHS, finally the appointment came, but it was too late, as the house was sold the ticket was paid for so had to call the hospital & cancel my long a waited operation.
When we arrived in Adelaide once we settle down, I then went to my local GP with the letter of admission I had from the hospital in UK to see if I can have the OP over here, no problem got refer to the local hospital @ flinders, everything happened so fast was told I might have to wait about 4 months for the OP, really happy that the wait wasn’t as long as back home, then a month later I get call that there is cancellation would I be interested to have the OP the next day which was Wednesday, I said yes as my OH was still with no jobs, he could look after me while I was recovering, which would have taken 6 weeks.
The usual thing that you do before a operation, fast the night before, pack bag went to the ward in question was given a private room, which I thought was amazing being on Medicare, now this waiting around drag on until afternoon totally starving by this time, send OH home saying come back when I have the OP minus the children as I would be in too much pain might not feel like chatting to the kids.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It happens here, sadly it happened to me...

Pt2

Well the OP went by don’t know how long it took, cause I was taken down to holding area at around 1 in afternoon after around 45mins wait, I went into operating room, it was 9 o'clock in the evening when I was brought back to my room.
I cant remember much of that night at all was hooked up to morphine, & was told to push the button as I need it, in the morning a lovely nurse came to me & said I am your personal nurse while you are here, anything you want just ring the bell.
But was in so much pain couldn’t talk to her, I just keeping dosing off, comes to mid afternoon, I get my gynaecologist telling that while I was having my hysterectomy they had to take my left ovaries out as they saw some kind of growth on it, & by doing this they took small part of my left kidney’s which has been stitched up, & I shouldn’t worry about anything now & try to rest, so I said what do you mean by growth, do you mean the C word, she said yes.
So she said please don’t worry about it as they cant be sure what it was, its been sent to the pathologist to be checked out, just relax if it is what they might think it was, its been caught early. By late Thursday afternoon I was in so much pain, not on my left side by right side by this time, the new shifts of nurses in, all in & out telling come on stop complaining its nothing you have winds, pass the winds & you shall be pain free, but the pain was getting from bad to worse I gave up I was just crying & they wouldn’t call the doctor, then about 6 o’clock, the nurse came in & said you are going to the radiology to have scan, can you go on a wheelchair, I said no I cant move, so off I get push down on my bed to the radiology department.

Last edited by chris and farideh; Aug 4th 2007 at 1:11 am.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Pt 3

There were other patient in the waiting area, but when the radiologist came to get a patient seeing me in such state, she pushed me in the room put gel on my left side checked the left kidney which was fine, then she said lets checked your right kidney, then she dropped the thing she was scanning my kidney with run out of room came back with head of department, then they started talking to themselves, they said we need to get in touch with your doctor immediately, well I didn’t know what was going on back to the ward everybody running like headless chicken, suddenly they are all these doctors turning up to my room, my pain killers was dose so high, nobody would tell what has happened, then @ 9 o’clock I get 2 doctors coming from another hospital & they say we have seen your scan you have blockage in your right kidney we need to operate on you but not at this hospital you have to come to our hospital.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Pt 4

Friday was another mad day was taken to have special x-ray, but they couldn’t see whatever they were trying to see, so off they go & call the consultant, now I am pushed to another part of the hospital with all the doctors behind me & the consultant from radiologist, my consultant my gynaecologist string of nurses, other doctors, all rushing to get me to have a cat scan, about 20 people in the room & me under the machine, so the result is back me get push back to my room leaving everybody else behind, then about 3 or 4 hours later I get nurse coming in the room with yet another doctor to take some blood, then they said you need to have another operation tonight, I was dose up in drugs didn’t know where I was, also still starving since Tuesday night I haven’t eaten anything, well I was moved to the private section of flinders hospital to have this operation, where they made hole on the side of my right kidney with a tube in it & a bag hanging to collect the water, when I was coming around I could remember the pain was gone, no more pain.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell, you don't do stuff by halves do you You are obviously much better or you wouldn't have bothered with BE. Hope it's all sorted now. Hope Chris looks after you properly. Was it your body causing the problems or the first op?
Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Pt 5

Its Saturday morning & for the first time in 4 days I’m not in such severe Pain but comfortable pain, none of the nursing staff are talking to me, as they were told off badly by the doctors, for not informing them when I was complaining about the pain & making their own diagnoses as they went by, so they took it on me.
I never made the complain, the only complain I made was that my room was next to the birthing centre, all the crying babies, and the nurses would take the babies out of the room were the mum was fast sleep & bring them to reception area so mum can have restful sleep from her crying baby, & yes you guess it right, my room was opposite the reception, so much of sleep I was getting with all that pain, and the babies crying, didnt which one was worse.
When I mention to one nurse this isn’t right I just had hysterectomy, why is my room next to mothers having baby, this is so wrong, I said this would never would have happened in UK, I said can you imagine if I was 20 years younger & had to have hysterectomy for some reason, or a miscarriage, how would I be feeling psychologically, this is the answer I got from the nurse, tough if you don’t like it, then you should have gone private, the hospital is full, because our stupid government is giving every Tom, Dick & Harry $4000 for each baby, now everybody is having a baby.
Later that day I get a visit from the consultant, there is me thinking wow what a service weekend visit from the consultant, on the Medicare, so I thanked him for their fast action & saving my life, & he keep saying I’m so sorry, this should’ve been happened, I’m so sorry. There is me thinking maybe I heard it wrong, I keep saying don’t worry I’m fine the pain is gone, he said look you are not out of the wood yet, you need more OP, I said what, he said don’t worry now I talk to you tomorrow.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

hope everything's ok for you
Old Aug 4th 2007, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Bloody hell, you don't do stuff by halves do you You are obviously much better or you wouldn't have bothered with BE. Hope it's all sorted now. Hope Chris looks after you properly. Was it your body causing the problems or the first op?
I took break, from writting you need to read to the end, Chris has been fantastic I'm so lucky, my children been amazing.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shears
hope everything's ok for you
I hope so, but I need more OP. one bad mistake, rest of my life to pay for it.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

I'll write the rest soon, I'm in pain need to take the pain killers & a break, be back soon.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear you've had such a tough time. xx
Old Aug 4th 2007, 3:53 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shears
Sorry to hear you've had such a tough time. xx
hope everything is ok with you- let us know the rest of the story...
Old Aug 4th 2007, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

BayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
I'll write the rest soon, I'm in pain need to take the pain killers & a break, be back soon.
Please write in your own time and try not to stress too much. I hope you start to feel better soon. xxxx
Old Aug 4th 2007, 5:39 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey Farideh, you poor love!

This is shocking. Sounds like you got the rough end of the maternity nurse too. My MIL is a midwife and this past month, she's been rushed off her feet, delivering baby after baby... at one point they ran out of cribs and the boss sent her husband out to pick some up from a supplier. It's been all hands on deck.
It doesn't excuse her rudeness though.
And as for it wouldn't happen in the UK, yes, it would and it did. I had such incompetence with the birth of my daughter, I should have sued them, but I was too exhausted by their screw ups. I won't bore you with it now, but trust me, it happens.

I hope you're on the mend now.

x
Old Aug 4th 2007, 5:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Farideh, love. I'll ring you next weekend when you're feeling a little stronger. I'm glad Chris and the kids have been looking after you. Take good care of yourself and I'll be in touch soon.
Dorothy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.