Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Had to re-home my cats and I am devistated

Wikiposts

Had to re-home my cats and I am devistated

Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Had to re-home my cats and I am devistated

Well I am absolutely devastated. I knew this day would come but not for a few months yet.

I have had to find homes for my 2 cats. Been having problems with a new cat in the area. Its been bullying my 2 something terrible. It has also managed to break through the magnetic cat flap and has been coming into the house, spraying everywhere and eating my cats food.
We tried speaking to the fool of a family that owns it but have gotten nowhere.

Had enough last week and put an ad in the paper. Thankfully they have gone to lovely new homes. The older female has gone to a lovely older couple where she can live out the rest of her life in peace. My beautiful ginger tom has gone to a farm where he can catch as much mice as his heart desires,lol.

Cant believe how gutted I am. If i am like this over my cats what the hell will I be like when I leave my family.

Thanks for reading this!
Shabee
x
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:45 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had to re-home my cats and I am devistated

Originally Posted by shabee
Well I am absolutely devastated. I knew this day would come but not for a few months yet.

I have had to find homes for my 2 cats. Been having problems with a new cat in the area. Its been bullying my 2 something terrible. It has also managed to break through the magnetic cat flap and has been coming into the house, spraying everywhere and eating my cats food.

Had enough last week and put an ad in the paper. Thankfully they have gone to lovely new homes. The older female has gone to a lovely older couple where she can live out the rest of her life in peace. My beautiful ginger tom has gone to a farm where he can catch as much mice as his heart desires,lol.

Cant believe how gutted I am. If i am like this over my cats what the hell will I be like when I leave my family.

Thanks for reading this!
Shabee
x
What you did was admirable and a selfless act. You did what was best for your cats after trying your best to sort out a difficult situation.

Had the situation carried on, you would have ended up with two miserable cats probably peeing in your house in a desperate effort to mark their territory.

Well done you for putting your cats first.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
What you did was admirable and a selfless act. You did what was best for your cats after trying your best to sort out a difficult situation.

Had the situation carried on, you would have ended up with two miserable cats probably peeing in your house in a desperate effort to mark their territory.

Well done you for putting your cats first.

Thanks PP,
What you said has made me feel a bit better. I know deep down that it was best for them, but it was so hard to part with them.
Just had a row with OH over the dog. We have a 3 year old westie. I really want her to come to Oz with us but he does not think it is fair on her. He keeps saying that she is a highland terrier and was not bred for the heat in Australia. Oh well we will see what happens, we will compromise. I will just say I am not going unless she comes also. lol. I really dont think I could leave her.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:01 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

We have a 3 year old westie. I really want her to come to Oz with us but he does not think it is fair on her. He keeps saying that she is a highland terrier and was not bred for the heat in Australia.
He'll do fine - I've seen all sorts of dogs here - including westies. We brought a very hairy collie/springer cross out with us (black coat too - lol) and she's more than fine. Dogs are perfectly capable of regulating their own body heat - they just find shade and relax.

Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:51 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

We will be definitely taking our Westie with us, no doubt about it.

He will enjoy a much better quality of life along with the rest of us - here he has no garden & nothing but bleak streets for his daily walks, once we move he'll have his own territory to guard & patrol & a beach nearby to romp along

He'll also have one helluva wicked haircut

Best of luck persuading your OH - I'd start saving if I were you, I think it'll cost about £3000
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JenniGee
We will be definitely taking our Westie with us, no doubt about it.

He will enjoy a much better quality of life along with the rest of us - here he has no garden & nothing but bleak streets for his daily walks, once we move he'll have his own territory to guard & patrol & a beach nearby to romp along

He'll also have one helluva wicked haircut

Best of luck persuading your OH - I'd start saving if I were you, I think it'll cost about £3000

I am saving hard as although he has not mentioned the cost I think that if also a factor. It is quit worrying as there has been a few scary posts on here about dogs escaping and bad quarantine places.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for reading this!
Shabee
x
It is heart breaking to rehome them, we were going to do that before moving to Aus but decided after talking to the Vets and the cat home we had got them from (after their previous owners had migrated) that we should take them withus. Before we went we had the same problem, a bullying un neutered cat next door that even had the cheek to come in and pee under our bed when we were asleep. We stopped it by setting the cat flap so that it just opened in but not out, it came in in the early hours of the morning then couldn't get out so i came down stairs with just me and the cat in the kitchen, then i soaked it with water, chased it round the kitchen and then grabbed it at which point it was as meek as possible, it never came back!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hutch
He'll do fine - I've seen all sorts of dogs here - including westies. We brought a very hairy collie/springer cross out with us (black coat too - lol) and she's more than fine. Dogs are perfectly capable of regulating their own body heat - they just find shade and relax.

Thanks Hutch.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrispy
It is heart breaking to rehome them, we were going to do that before moving to Aus but decided after talking to the Vets and the cat home we had got them from (after their previous owners had migrated) that we should take them withus. Before we went we had the same problem, a bullying un neutered cat next door that even had the cheek to come in and pee under our bed when we were asleep. We stopped it by setting the cat flap so that it just opened in but not out, it came in in the early hours of the morning then couldn't get out so i came down stairs with just me and the cat in the kitchen, then i soaked it with water, chased it round the kitchen and then grabbed it at which point it was as meek as possible, it never came back!
lol. We tried something similar but he still came back for more. The family he belongs to are a bit backwards and so is the cat. Strange this morning not having them tripping me up looking for food though.
I am just so glad they have gone to where I think is the perfect new home for their needs.

Thanks for all your replies.
Shabee
x