Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Guys - would it bother you if your wife earned more than you?

Guys - would it bother you if your wife earned more than you?

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Le Loup will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Guys - would it bother you if your wife earned more than you?

The macho types don't like it one little bit, they refuse to compete against women in sports because they hate to lose to a woman. The mind boggles, sad I recon.
My wife does earn more than I do, i'm all for it. But then I am a house husband and we have always shared everything for over 30 years now.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I know a women that earns close to 200,000K.... Quite down to earth and in the medical profession. I've a feeling that kind of differential, compared to my average wages... let alone status and power could be slightly daunting. Still I'd take her on

How much more and what kind of job status difference could actually be an issue.... but wouldnt that count both ways ? I guess I would be set up in some kind of home computer fixing business in that situation, after getting some kind of accreditation under my belt.... after all I did fix some of her friends comps on her recommendation.

IE: Could say a director of a Merchant Bank be comfortable if his Wife insisted on some kind of independence. Say if she chose to work with friends in their cleaning company or something similar..

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 22nd 2010 at 3:42 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't bother my husband at the moment - the more earned the better!!
BUT - if I earned more than him in a job with equal or better status - I reckon it would bother him more than he would admit. It's not going to happen as he's retired now, but knowing him as well as I do - status is right up there for nurturing the old ego - money comes a close second - well equally - they go hand in hand to him
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Not a chance, it is merely an above average return on investment.
I like that!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

She does, by a long way, and it's great.. I'm the one who always gets the sickie when the kids ill
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:35 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't bother me in the slightest
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mindblower
Doesn't bother me in the slightest[/quote]

I reckon a person that has a real problem with this has serious issues personally.

One thing that does piiss me orf though on a related topic... is people that inherit large fortunes,... Say 20 mill and above... somehow or other they should be made to pay mega tax on any interest earned. Impossible to enforce though.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:34 am
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

I reckon a person that has a real problem with this has serious issues personally.

One thing that does piiss me orf though on a related topic... is people that inherit large fortunes,... Say 20 mill and above... somehow or other they should be made to pay mega tax on any interest earned. Impossible to enforce though.[/QUOTE]

relationships are a joint venture.....any thing that makes life easier for the other !!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mindblower

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

One thing that does piiss me orf though on a related topic... is people that inherit large fortunes,... Say 20 mill and above... somehow or other they should be made to pay mega tax on any interest earned. Impossible to enforce though.
Originally Posted by brummy
relationships are a joint venture.....any thing that makes life easier for the other !!!!
Just thought I'd help with the quotes.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Just thought I'd help with the quotes.
thank the Lord for that, I was just about to do them but you saved me the trouble
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all

I think it would only bother me as throughout the 14 years we have been together I have always been the main breadwinner. It would come as a bit of a culture shock but I would get over it.

My view on that, however, is that without her running the home and looking after the children I would never have been able to have my career. I am also a little old fashioned in that I like the thought of being able to provide for my family to the extent that my wife does not have to go out and work more than a few hours per week and is always around for the kids. The simple fact is that she is not career driven and enjoys being a housewife and mother. I do believe that there is sometimes too much pressure on young women to balance their careers and motherhood and am glad that legislation seems to be catching up to allow them the best of both worlds without having to compromise on the upbringing of the children should they wish to be around in the early years.

There is a lot to be said for the argument of how much a house wife/husband would earn if they were paid by the hour.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:43 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I wish to god that my wife earned more than me. She came in the other night after work and emptied her purse. It contained nineteen and sixpence. I said, "Who gave you the sixpence?" She said, "They all did."
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:45 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Si T
I think it would only bother me as throughout the 14 years we have been together I have always been the main breadwinner. It would come as a bit of a culture shock but I would get over it.

My view on that, however, is that without her running the home and looking after the children I would never have been able to have my career. I am also a little old fashioned in that I like the thought of being able to provide for my family to the extent that my wife does not have to go out and work more than a few hours per week and is always around for the kids. The simple fact is that she is not career driven and enjoys being a housewife and mother. I do believe that there is sometimes too much pressure on young women to balance their careers and motherhood and am glad that legislation seems to be catching up to allow them the best of both worlds without having to compromise on the upbringing of the children should they wish to be around in the early years.

There is a lot to be said for the argument of how much a house wife/husband would earn if they were paid by the hour.
That is a good point, looking after a house and kids is underestimated. Marriage is a partnership and if one person is at home balancing out that partnership by doing an essential and important role of raising children, then that is as important as any 'career' in the workplace.

I feel sorry for mothers that have no choice but to work full time and put their kids into kindy - its all well and good if that is what they want but when they HAVE to do it due to lack of support, then that is another story.

My Mum always use to talk about just how many professions are hidden in the job description of 'parent'.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
thank the Lord for that, I was just about to do them but you saved me the trouble
No worries. It was becoming painful.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

My wife earns a lot more than I do. Do I care, no way.

I am on good money so I get to have "my toys". Just brought a 4 wheel bike and the only comment I got was "thought you would have had one of those well before now" so striking whilst the iron was hot, I brought a hydrolic log splitter. Same sort of response. Just wondering what I could get away with next

Barney