Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Gumtree is it still available people

Gumtree is it still available people

Old Sep 13th 2019, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

sun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gumtree is it still available people

Just wondering. Been selling a lot of stuff on the online classifieds called gumtree...

There's a crowd on there that ask "is it still available?" And without exception you then never hear from them again.

Are you one of those is it still available people? Why the hell do you ask the question and then not go any further? Do you do it just to annoy the sellers?
Old Sep 13th 2019, 10:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gumtree is it still available people

Originally Posted by sun burnt in aus
Just wondering. Been selling a lot of stuff on the online classifieds called gumtree...

There's a crowd on there that ask "is it still available?" And without exception you then never hear from them again.

Are you one of those is it still available people? Why the hell do you ask the question and then not go any further? Do you do it just to annoy the sellers?
The "is it still available" question is semi-automated, they just have to press one button and it sends the question to the seller. I reckon most people think they will get an instant response to it and if they don't then they just move on. As a seller, I agree its annoying but I just think its thoughtlessness rather than people trying to annoy us.

I have also noticed Gumtree is not as lucrative since Facebook Marketplace really got going, what do you think?
Old Sep 13th 2019, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

That happens on Facebook too. I advertised some wall tiles on a local group. I've had four enquiries so far, one with the classic "are they still available" and three saying things like "I'll measure up, check what else I need to get, and get back to you". No point getting annoyed. It's out of my control, can't do anything about it.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you do it just to annoy the sellers?
Yes

Old Nov 29th 2019, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

I have been known to do this.

I want to buy something and of course need to ask if its still available.

But then I change my mind and decide I don't want it or need it after all.

Or I see a better quality one or a better asking price elsewhere.

Surely it is better to have some responses to your ad (even if negative), than have none at all.

Old Nov 30th 2019, 2:43 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PittwaterPrincess
I have been known to do this.

I want to buy something and of course need to ask if its still available.

But then I change my mind and decide I don't want it or need it after all.

Or I see a better quality one or a better asking price elsewhere.

Surely it is better to have some responses to your ad (even if negative), than have none at all.
IMHO the annoying thing is that when you get a response and you reply saying Yes still available, do you want it mailed or are you picking up....and then they never reply.
If we, as the sellers, can take time to engage and be polite, why can the prospective buyer not then take 10 seconds to just say "sorry, changed my mind". Especially as many sellers will tell subsequent prospective buyers that the item is on hold for someone. I personally will now only hod something for 24 hours after the first enquiry. If there is no follow up then tough, they lose. All I want is a simple reply saying that they have changed their minds.
Old Nov 30th 2019, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
why can the prospective buyer not then take 10 seconds to just say "sorry, changed my mind".
I would only do that if the transaction had gone further.

Old Nov 30th 2019, 11:51 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I would only do that if the transaction had gone further.
So you would have been fine if 5 minutes after you received a response saying it was still available, it was then sold? If so, what's the point in asking?

Old Dec 1st 2019, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dreamy
So you would have been fine if 5 minutes after you received a response saying it was still available, it was then sold? If so, what's the point in asking?
Sorry I don't understand what you mean
Old Dec 1st 2019, 6:15 am
Home and Happy

My point exactly, By telling them its still available I feel honour bound to give them a good amount of time to answer me with the decision to continue or not. In return I hope (usually fruitlessly) that the buyer will reply if they aren't interested after all so I can put the item back on sale.
Its just good manners all round really!
Old Dec 1st 2019, 6:46 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I don't understand what you mean
PittwaterPrincess: "Is that item still available?"
Vendor: "it is"
[2 minutes later]
PP: "I'd like to buy that available item, please"
V: "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't believe we were entering into any kind of social contract where I'd give you a chance to purchase, so that item is now sold"

So if you're fine with the above happening, why bother asking if the item is available in the first place? Would it not be easier to just contact the vendor at the point you wanted to purchase? If you think the vendor should have given you a reasonable length of time to complete your purchase, then surely it's common courtesy to send a message saying "thanks, on reflection it isn't for me"? Or if you've asked a question about the item, to respond one way or the other?

I've had friends giving stuff away on sites such as gumtree and the basic rudeness of people who think they're doing you a favour is astounding.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 3:03 am
Home and Happy

PittwaterPrincess: "Is that item still available?"
Vendor: "it is"
[2 minutes later]
PP: "I'd like to buy that available item, please"
V: "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't believe we were entering into any kind of social contract where I'd give you a chance to purchase, so that item is now sold"

So if you're fine with the above happening, why bother asking if the item is available in the first place? Would it not be easier to just contact the vendor at the point you wanted to purchase? If you think the vendor should have given you a reasonable length of time to complete your purchase, then surely it's common courtesy to send a message saying "thanks, on reflection it isn't for me"? Or if you've asked a question about the item, to respond one way or the other?

I've had friends giving stuff away on sites such as gumtree and the basic rudeness of people who think they're doing you a favour is astounding.
Pure coincidence, this morning I had some woman complaining on Gumtree that the book she looked at last week is no longer available cos I sold it to someone else. I pointed out she sent me ne message saying "I want this", 8 days ago. I replied asking if she wanted it posted or would she pick up. Never heard any more till today. In the meantime another nice woman has enquired, paid and picked up, all with a "thank you" even though I made her wait 4 days in case the first woman came back to me!
Old Feb 16th 2020, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

You ask whether it is available in case another buyer is snooping and therefore the item might be about to sell (or collect). If the other buyer, perhaps the only buyer todate, has been slow the seller has the right or inclination to decide you are a more serious buyer.

it is up to a buyer to act serious enough that the seller will hold the item. You would hope the seller gives the first enquirer time to conclude the txn of course.

This is assuming a paypal txn has not gone through. I sometimes send a paypal request to secure the item but until it is accepted ...

If an item is not likely to sell quickly, I will ask questions without necessarily being a serious buyer.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 16th 2020 at 7:29 am.
Old Feb 21st 2020, 11:03 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I found myself asking a few times without realising I was scrolling down on my phone and hit the question with my thumb while scrolling
Old Feb 25th 2020, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Cresta, I do that on messenger liking my own old messages when I reread them days later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.