Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Growing native trees in your garden

Growing native trees in your garden

Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:32 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Growing native trees in your garden

I am planning to plant some native stuff in my garden - geraniums at the bottom to name but one, some bottle brush at the top part of the garden. We have a retainer wall at the top of our garden where I want to grow the bottle brush, would this have a huge effect on the retainer wall?

I suspect I am going to have to go to extreme measures to stop super Kelpie digging them up, he hasnt dug for ages so fingers crossed he may have grown out of it. What native plants do you have growing in your garden? I quite fancy a lemon or lime tree, our neighbour bought a mature one for under 200 bucks.

I know bugger all about gardening but quite keen to learn. My friend is going to help me as Mr PP cant do any digging or anything, but I cant wait to have a nice garden.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:38 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing native trees in your garden

I don't know much either BUT...watch the size of what you plant. Some of them get very big.

That said, the debate on pruning natives now seems to have come down on the side of, yes you can prune and yes they actually thrive on it. For years it was held that you shouldn't prune true natives. (plants).

The only downside with natives (I love them) is that generally you only get one colour flowering at a time. Have you noticed all the yellow wattle that comes out? Followed by all red, all purple etc.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:42 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I don't know much either BUT...watch the size of what you plant. Some of them get very big.

That said, the debate on pruning natives now seems to have come down on the side of, yes you can prune and yes they actually thrive on it. For years it was held that you shouldn't prune true natives. (plants).

The only downside with natives (I love them) is that generally you only get one colour flowering at a time. Have you noticed all the yellow wattle that comes out? Followed by all red, all purple etc.
I have an ulterior motive, DEC have this thing going about planting natives for Carnaby's as their habitat is being destroyed and they are running out of feeding grounds. Rather than put bird seed out, DEC are advising to plant native trees/plants so the carnaby's cockatoos have at least another food source.

I was concerned that if they came into my garden they would trash my house/roof but they come in my garden and sit on the roof and dont do any damage anyway.

So I am looking at the stuff they eat and they love bottle brush. I might get a quote from someone and professional advice about the size and potential issues with the retainer wall.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:47 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I am planning to plant some native stuff in my garden - geraniums at the bottom to name but one, some bottle brush at the top part of the garden. We have a retainer wall at the top of our garden where I want to grow the bottle brush, would this have a huge effect on the retainer wall?

I suspect I am going to have to go to extreme measures to stop super Kelpie digging them up, he hasnt dug for ages so fingers crossed he may have grown out of it. What native plants do you have growing in your garden? I quite fancy a lemon or lime tree, our neighbour bought a mature one for under 200 bucks.

I know bugger all about gardening but quite keen to learn. My friend is going to help me as Mr PP cant do any digging or anything, but I cant wait to have a nice garden.
Citrus fruit are really difficult to grow, I have never been successful with any.
I currently have a mango and avocado tree that are doing well with my neglect and also the passion fruit has taken over my whole back fence think I may have to pull some of it down.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Most things struggle in our yard, but the wattle has grown really well, and looks lovely.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:07 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I have a grape vine and a passion fruit tree. (The passion fruit tree is yet to grow it's about a foot and a half and never grew any fruit)

. I have a Barnea Olive tree. (i think anyway ) I also have some Butterfly weed plants tree things!

I have two poinsettia trees out the front of the house which have bright red leaves with the dark green, they look so xmassy!

I also have 3 huge palm trees - 2 in the courtyard at the front and 1 in the front garden. Whatever you do, don't get Golden Cane Palms - they are like weeds of the palm family and are the biggest pain in the arse EVER

I would LOVE a Jacaranda tree, and some Banksia too!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I have a grape vine and a passion fruit tree. (The passion fruit tree is yet to grow it's about a foot and a half and never grew any fruit)

. I have a Barnea Olive tree. (i think anyway ) I also have some Butterfly weed plants tree things!

I have two poinsettia trees out the front of the house which have bright red leaves with the dark green, they look so xmassy!

I also have 3 huge palm trees - 2 in the courtyard at the front and 1 in the front garden. Whatever you do, don't get Golden Cane Palms - they are like weeds of the palm family and are the biggest pain in the arse EVER

I would LOVE a Jacaranda tree, and some Banksia too!
Banksia is another one I am considering.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:16 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Most things struggle in our yard, but the wattle has grown really well, and looks lovely.
I LOVE wattle

In fact I have decided I want some now
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I LOVE wattle

In fact I have decided I want some now
We got ours from the council nursery, when it was a tiny twiggy thing LOL, it is bigger than me now
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Callistemon 'little John' is a fairly small one, only up to 1m. I really like that one.
There are a lot of nice Grevilleas around too.
The birds seem to go nuts over kangaroo paws too, and they look great.

I LOVE lime trees. I have two of the 'sublime' ones in pots. You can get them from places like Bunnings for around $25, sometimes cheaper. I also have a lemonade tree in a pot, the fruits are lovely!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Callistemon 'little John' is a fairly small one, only up to 1m. I really like that one.
There are a lot of nice Grevilleas around too.
The birds seem to go nuts over kangaroo paws too, and they look great.

I LOVE lime trees. I have two of the 'sublime' ones in pots. You can get them from places like Bunnings for around $25, sometimes cheaper. I also have a lemonade tree in a pot, the fruits are lovely!
A lemondae tree? I have never heard of that

I don't know anything about growing stuff so I have alot to learn.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:41 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Which one of these is the geranium you are thinking of planting?

Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I expect you will check anyway but some plants and native plants are poisonous to dogs.My dog has started having fits and on checking the garden I was surprised at how many plants are poisonous like Bird of paradise and Aloe vera.Sue.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by petensue
I expect you will check anyway but some plants and native plants are poisonous to dogs.My dog has started having fits and on checking the garden I was surprised at how many plants are poisonous like Bird of paradise and Aloe vera.Sue.
I need to do a search, there was a geranium when we moved in - not sure about that one, Rocky never went near it anyway.

I am deffo going to talk to the guy that does our gardening at work and ask him for his advice. I want the bottle brush high up for the cockies.

Off to do a search now.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Which one of these is the geranium you are thinking of planting?

http://anpsa.org.au/jpg/960821.jpg

http://oublic.org/allison/pics/Cranesbill.jpg
We had red ones in our garden when we moved in, why oh why did I let Mr PP dig them up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.