Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Grey water solutions.

Wikiposts

Grey water solutions.

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grey water solutions.

I've been pondering this for a while now, looking at all sorts of ideas. Having grown tired of using buckets out of collected shower water, and using the outlet hose on my washing machine to empty out willy nilly onto the grass. I've decided to put some dosh behind my efforts and invested in one of these.

Home water bowser... Should make things a tad easier and less time consuming. The thing that really sold it to me, it was available in the adjacent suburb for pick up. 400 bucks, bit cheaper than its clone the Gator, available at Mitre 10 around the country.

http://www.homewaterbowser.com.au/

Now the net being the net, and people being people, I bet I'm going to hear some better ideas now that I've put money behind my efforts in keeping my garden green. So share please, it will help others. I've been studying for a solution to this problem for quite a while now.

So how are you keeping your garden going this summer, especially those of you on severe water restrictions.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:06 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grey water solutions.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've been pondering this for a while now, looking at all sorts of ideas. Having grown tired of using buckets out of collected shower water, and using the outlet hose on my washing machine to empty out willy nilly onto the grass. I've decided to put some dosh behind my efforts and invested in one of these.

Home water bowser... Should make things a tad easier and less time consuming. The thing that really sold it to me, it was available in the adjacent suburb for pick up. 400 bucks, bit cheaper than its clone the Gator, available at Mitre 10 around the country.

Now the net being the net, and people being people, I bet I'm going to hear some better ideas now that I've put money behind my efforts in keeping my garden green. So share please, it will help others. I've been studying for a solution to this problem for quite a while now.

So how are you keeping your garden going this summer, especially those of you on severe water restrictions.
Advertised in the Northern Times, Brisbane.. by another company, called Wheelie Bin Water Saver.. $299
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Advertised in the Northern Times, Brisbane.. by another company, called Wheelie Bin Water Saver.. $299

Had a quick browse and only came up with the following

http://www.enviro-friendly.com/grey-water-bowser.shtml For Qland, Aud 479 delivered, thing is these things are Made in Thomastown Melbourne.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:11 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a quick browse and only came up with the following

http://www.enviro-friendly.com/grey-water-bowser.shtml For Qland, Aud 479 delivered, thing is these things are Made in Thomastown Melbourne.
I've made my own...

Giant wheely bin stolen from council, length of garden pipe into hole cut at bottom of bin... Pipe from source to fill...

Cost: $25

Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I've made my own...

Giant wheely bin stolen from council, length of garden pipe into hole cut at bottom of bin... Pipe from source to fill...

Cost: $25

Great idea, I looked at that, and actually have the extra bin, My trouble was getting the bin high enough to let it gravity feed the whole garden, and then filling that bin at say 3 meters head height. Which would have been too much of a strain I reckon, on my Washing machine.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:54 am

Great idea, I looked at that, and actually have the extra bin, My trouble was getting the bin high enough to let it gravity feed the whole garden, and then filling that bin at say 3 meters head height. Which would have been too much of a strain I reckon, on my Washing machine.
LOL - I was just joking, but if you had some sort of pump... or actually, used gravity to move the water... put the washing machine higher than the bin, you might be in luck...
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:57 am
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

The best solution I have managed to come up with is to wait until it is really dark outside then proceed to plug your hose directly in to the mains.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

All our grey water goes into our grey water tank It's got a pump thing in it and when the water gets up to a certain level it automatically around the garden. The joys of not being on mains sewerage thingy
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:43 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

or

Have an extremely long length of hose

Sneak round to next door, put your hose on their tap and water your garden every night for free
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
The best solution I have managed to come up with is to wait until it is really dark outside then proceed to plug your hose directly in to the mains.
I did a similar thing quiet a while ago, probably 12 years back now, Had an above ground pool back then, and a block of flats next door, Empty pool + lots of beer, + lots of hose ^ late night = half filled pool
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:51 am

I did a similar thing quiet a while ago, probably 12 years back now, Had an above ground pool back then, and a block of flats next door, Empty pool + lots of beer, + lots of hose ^ late night = half filled pool
What, you filled the pool with beer?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
What, you filled the pool with beer?

Lol, no I attached 3 hoses to their 3 outside pipes, for about 4 hours between around 2 and 6 am. Took the beer to make me silly enough to do it.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:02 am

Lol, no I attached 3 hoses to their 3 outside pipes, for about 4 hours between around 2 and 6 am. Took the beer to make me silly enough to do it.
Thought you'd drunk the beer and filled the pool ...
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:50 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I've been quite interested in this system called the Rainmate.

Link

Though not strictly a bespoke grey water system, it can be adapted to serve. It holds 200 L, and you can daisy chain them together to increase your storage capacity. Good if you decide that you need more. Sort of modular water storage., They come as a flat pack, and the last time I saw them for sale, they were $129 at Thrifty Link and on offer in Kmart for $99.

Just need to buy a fracking house first.

S
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I've been quite interested in this system called the Rainmate.

Link

Though not strictly a bespoke grey water system, it can be adapted to serve. It holds 200 L, and you can daisy chain them together to increase your storage capacity. Good if you decide that you need more. Sort of modular water storage., They come as a flat pack, and the last time I saw them for sale, they were $129 at Thrifty Link and on offer in Kmart for $99.

Just need to buy a fracking house first.

S

Thats a fantastic tip Swervo, one of the best solutions I've seen especially considering the price. If I dont have enough capacity for my very ambitious garden plans, those will be top of the list for rainwater collection, unless I need even more capacity. I'm creating a infinity border garden, tiered the lot, where the backgarden appears to have no boundaries. In fact I'm hoping to have a fine spray from rainwater tanks on the really hot Melbourne days. similar to the botanical gardens. Golden bamboo and lush tropical foilage aplenty, I do seem to have a mini tropical area in my backgarden, as my Bananas have proven.

Stuff the water saving trends, I'm going the opposite way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.