Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Greatest Guitarists?

Greatest Guitarists?

Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:12 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greatest Guitarists?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I also upset people when I tell them I thought Janis Joplin was shite as well. I guess you had to be off your head from LSD to 'get' them.
I don't mind a bit of Janis Joplin

Don't rate Waters as a great guitarist, a decent bass player & fantastically talented in other areas though. Loved his recent Wall gig at the entertainment centre genius
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:23 pm
Living in the mountains

earlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to all

Lead guitar on Comfortably Numb - one of the best driving songs
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite is Mark Knopfler.
I saw Gary Moore a couple of years before he died and as far as I remember he was very good but then the snakebite took hold and I can't remember when Whitesnake came on afterwards.

Richie Blackmore was great but he never knew when to give it a rest.

All the guitarists in Iron Maiden. It's hard to tell who's taking the lead as they now have 3 playing at the same time.

Keel
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:49 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=DeadVim;10105666]Waters can only deal with 4 strings at a time Interesting character and songwriter but nowhere near the top 'guitarist' for mine. Gilmour is very underrated I'll give you that

Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Kenny Wayne shepherd
Peter green
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix
Joe bonamassa
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

This guys good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foSkPjvuRv0
Old Jun 7th 2012, 8:53 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Some time ago I was given the 100 greatest guitar solos Cd set. I stuck it on the shelf & forgot about it as I had loads of music on the P.C i-pod etc.
I've just loaded it onto my phone to play at work as our new work radio has a docking gizmo.
Played most of it today & it had me thinking what a pile of crap to quite a few of the tracks. There's some classic tunes for sure, Clapton, Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Frank Zappa, Carlos Santana all produced amazing guitar solos.
Funnily enough Jimmy Hendricks had me cringing & reaching for the FF button. I've never really been a fan but most of his tracks sound like someone struggling to tune a guitar & play a few scales [?] Is he a case of the Emperors new clothes? The sound is awful & he seems to shout tunelessly into the mike. Not in my top 100.
A few surprises were Brian Setzer from the Stray Cats & Ted Nugent.
Who would make your top 5 strummers?
With Hendrix, a lot of it would depend on whether you were listening to any of his live gear. A lot of which was out of tune. However, for me Hendrix is head and shoulders above anyone else that has ever held a guitar.
Check this out and make sure you listen at the end where he plays the most beautiful solo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OdTjN8quJY

Also, his Band of Gypsies live gig, with Machine Gun being the standout
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uFqyu0sEHY

My list would be
1. Hendrix
2. Randy Hansen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A28-urxUd8
3. Terry Kath - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVLUFl6WO6E
4. Stevie Ray Vaughan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU0MF8pwktg
5. Peter Green - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE4HGlmtOcg

Special mentions to Huey Morgan who is about the only modern day guitarist who has any soul left and Jeff Beck who still has the most amazingly subtle touch.

Funnily enough, my number two pick has dedicated most of his life to being a tribute act to Hendrix and actually plays Hendrix better than Hendrix ever did.

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Jun 7th 2012 at 8:55 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

Jimi was a genuis - and I've never been off my face on LSD. First born was very nearly called Hendrix, but then we remembered we're not into child abuse so the name will go to a future dog instead

TBH I'm not a 14 year old boy so not sure I see enough distinction - there are literally millions of talented guitar players and I'm not sure many break the mould to special (and I'd be suggesting a few more recent than the ones here ). A band is about so much more than the guitar player - nothing more dull than a 14 minute guitar solo in the middle of an otherwise rocking song.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The security guard at a local gated estate is called Raymond Hendrix and people say he is related to Jimi (he does look like him).

*Calabasas trivia*
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Don't like Hendrix though I understand that he was an innovator. Joplin leaves me cold- awful cheesegrater of a voice.

I have a CD called Air Guitar , but I couldn't tell you the names of individual guitarists, apart from Clapton, Knopfler, John Williams, Bryan May and that Slash character (which I only know as DD and OH keep referring to them.)

My brother is an amazing guitarist though.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:22 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Bonamassa is a modern day Hendrix..experimenting with techniques and sounds.

Steve Morse has done wonders for Purple.

Stevie Ray Vaughn was a genius....nuff said.

Gilmour for his feel....amazing.

Gary Moore...Outstanding and vastly underated.

Brian Stezer is the king of his genre...

I could go on and on and on and on...........
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:31 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Bonamassa is a modern day Hendrix..experimenting with techniques and sounds.

Steve Morse has done wonders for Purple.

Stevie Ray Vaughn was a genius....nuff said.

Gilmour for his feel....amazing.

Brian Stezer is the king of his genre...

I could go on and on and on and on...........
Francis Rossi for his hair?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:44 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem often with these types of polls is that people often list the guitarists from the bands that they really like.

For me, I am a die-hard Zeppelin fan, same with Santana. However, both their guitarists annoy me more than they thrill me. Both Page and Carlos have their moments, but more often than not they piss me off. I like the bands that they are part of, but I do not for one minute think they are the greatest guitarists just because they are part of my favourite band.

That's why I keep seeing The Edge and Brian May in these frickin lists. Just because they are part of very popular bands, does not mean they are great guitarists. In the case of May I would actually go so far as saying he is not that good at all and The Edge is just a wanker.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:47 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by 4500 Times

agreed with that, although his feedback style of play for me is a poorer version of Jeff Beck's
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:56 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I am a big Queen fan but yeh, May isn't a great guitarist ... The Edge is perfectly shown up when Bill Bailey does his thing of what he'd sound like without any effects

I saw Cold Chisel recently and was impressed by Ian Moss, I know it's all relative (and not in the class of the greats) but he really rocked.

Gilmour is always worth a listen, he is class.

If we are going back then guys like Django Reinhardt and Les Paul deserve a mention but ain't ever doing to be at the top of 'popular' polls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.