Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Great experience or crazy idea?

Great experience or crazy idea?

Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:37 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great experience or crazy idea?

Originally Posted by spartacus
When else would you get the opportunity to do something like that all expenses paid? . . . Go for it, it's a once in a lifetime experience . . . unless, upon arrival in Perth, you got that nasty uneasy feeling that you'd forgotten to switch the iron off and felt the need to drive back again . . . just to check . . .
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
No worries, give it a go. Those long drives are the one thing I still enjoy about driving. It's a lot easier than you think.

I'd take off in my 12 YO Ford Falcon SW tomorrow, if I could.... I'm sure its still capable of going around Aus a few times.

How are you getting back... Because I reckon 6 weeks isn't enough time to do it comfortably both ways.... you would be exhausted IMO.... Maybe just enough time, but not in what I would call a decent comfort zone. I'd like at least 6 days to get to Perth. I know you can do it easier in less, but I wouldnt want to rush a decent trip like that these days. Then I would want quite a bit of time off of driving.

I've driven from Melbourne to Cooktown and back in the past.... that took about 10 weeks.

No turning back it will be a one way trip.
Sparty I thought an iron was something that you play golf with?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:41 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Do it.

Just drove from Adelaide to Brisbane last week (2,300 kms) and it was great fun.
That would make Adelaide almost half way!

Originally Posted by ponyrama
I'd give Dubbo a miss in favour of Lightning Ridge, Bourke, Cobar and Broken Hill. Dubbo is a decent sized town but thats all it is. The Ridge is fascinating, Bourke is...........well its just Bourke and the road from Bourke to Broken Hill (via Cobar on the bitumen or via Louth on the dirt) is full of camels, roos, goats, emus and really beautiful at the moment due to the rainfall we've had. I can recommend places to stay in all of them once you've worked out which way to go.
Thanks not really looked into specific stop off's yet. I think it's a crazy idea but started to get doubtful when everyone I told that I was off to Perth assumed I would be driving and think I'm crazy to get on a plane.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
When else would you get the opportunity to do something like that all expenses paid? . . . Go for it, it's a once in a lifetime experience . . . unless, upon arrival in Perth, you got that nasty uneasy feeling that you'd forgotten to switch the iron off and felt the need to drive back again . . . just to check . . .
I have a mate who does things like this every holiday, and he has 2 young kids with him too!

He has driven north to south, and west to east, and across the simpson desert. He has a Landrover which has 2 batteries in it.

But his advice to me was to always carry a spare fully charged car battery, and about a gallon of water, and about a months supply of colouring books for the kids.

And obviously a Camera with a 16 Gb card in it so you can bore people endlessly with pictures of deserts who've never seen a desert before.

"Look it is all sandy and dry, hot and no vegetation", "here is another one, look not an animal in sight and it's all sandy and hot and dry".

JTL
Old Nov 29th 2010, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I have a mate who does things like this every holiday, and he has 2 young kids with him too!

He has driven north to south, and west to east, and across the simpson desert. He has a Landrover which has 2 batteries in it.

But his advice to me was to always carry a spare fully charged car battery, and about a gallon of water, and about a months supply of colouring books for the kids.

And obviously a Camera with a 16 Gb card in it so you can bore people endlessly with pictures of deserts who've never seen a desert before.

"Look it is all sandy and dry, hot and no vegetation", "here is another one, look not an animal in sight and it's all sandy and hot and dry".

JTL
Done the same . . . here's a photo of a recent trip I took across some very rocky rocks . . . the suspension was literally bottoming out but the 'old girl' still got me there . . .

my old landy

I actually needed two spare batteries . . . AA if my memory serves me . . .

Last edited by spartacus; Nov 29th 2010 at 5:03 am.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 5:04 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

go for it ! sounds like it could be a fun trip !
Old Nov 29th 2010, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

JTL
Love it!!!

And Kelli - defo do it! Some bits are a little boring but still a challenge and you'll look back and say Wow! I did that!

We did home to Darwin and back with two kids included - took 3 days to get up there and 3 to come back. Biggest day was 1400 kms and we loved it all, well accept Tennant Creek but that's another thread!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 5:25 am
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
Driving nearly 5000k from Central Queensland to Perth.

Discuss....
Are you insane ? .
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:12 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah do it! We did it a few years ago, it was fun. The kinda thing I don't think I'd feel the need to do again, but as a one off, something different, it was great! Certainly makes you appreciate the size of Australia - it's on a different scale to the UK that's for sure!

Do it...
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:21 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Wow Kelli - go for it! even if its on behalf of those of us who'd love to but cant (at the moment) just think then you can have a thread of what music to take on your ipod. Great Southern Land by Icehouse is a reason to go on its own!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:21 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Yay, do it!! We drove Melbourne to Adelaide and back the other weekend, it was great!! Very hot though, I spent most of the way home driving in my pants!!! The only thing I wouldn't be keen on is whacking 5000 on to my own car mileage - maybe a hire car?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by jothefw
Love it!!!

And Kelli - defo do it! Some bits are a little boring but still a challenge and you'll look back and say Wow! I did that!

We did home to Darwin and back with two kids included - took 3 days to get up there and 3 to come back. Biggest day was 1400 kms and we loved it all, well accept Tennant Creek but that's another thread!
Just did a little calculation and if I was to do it in two weeks it is still 400k per day! Which doesn't sound much....but every day for two weeks?

Originally Posted by Icarus
Are you insane ? .
If I'm not now I will be by the time I get there.

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Yeah do it! We did it a few years ago, it was fun. The kinda thing I don't think I'd feel the need to do again, but as a one off, something different, it was great! Certainly makes you appreciate the size of Australia - it's on a different scale to the UK that's for sure!

Do it...
It was far enough just on a plane....But something is niggling at me that I'm missing something if I do get on a plane.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Peepster
Yay, do it!! We drove Melbourne to Adelaide and back the other weekend, it was great!! Very hot though, I spent most of the way home driving in my pants!!! The only thing I wouldn't be keen on is whacking 5000 on to my own car mileage - maybe a hire car?
Looked at a hire car but it get's expensive when you go over the allocated K's per day.

Might not be such a good idea for me if it's that hot I forgot to take my pant's with me to Brissy last week!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:36 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a bloody good idea, especially as all paid for DO IT

make sure you plan your stops around decent watering holes

400km is a piece of piss, used to do 800km on a friday from guzz to jockland and then back again on the sunday every weekend with no stops on either leg, ah the joys of diesel
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:23 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
Can't go over the top, I will be doing it sometime in January and most of the roads would be closed off. It will be inland passing Gayndah, Dubbo then down to Adelaide across the nullabor up to kalgoorlie and into Perth.

I have 6 weeks hols max but I don't want to take that long maybe just 2 weeks. The car is new so it should be ok it's only a little one though.

I would be reimbursed all my expenses as it would be part of relocation cost's so fuel, accomodation and meals would all be paid for.
Excellent move escaping Central Queensland. If the escape is all paid for though, I would put the car on the train and fly to Perth with a stop at Adelaide for a day trip to the Barossa Valley. Unless you're in love with tiny towns and monster trucks, the drive just isn't worth it.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:34 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it. Tell us about it aftewards! (Or during if you can). How many drivers? Just you?

600 ks a day is easy on the empty roads.

I did Alice Springs to home (having gone up on the train) - it IS NOT boring. It's a part of living here that I love. You can average 100 kph easily without breaking the speed limit. Why not do 800 ks one day and then take a day off and stop over somewhere?

We plan to do Perth and back one day soonish......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.