Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Great Barrier Reef family holiday Recommendations?

Great Barrier Reef family holiday Recommendations?

Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of
Default Great Barrier Reef family holiday Recommendations?

OK, we're finally getting around to planning our family trip to the GBR. We're a family with 6 - children ages 7, 11, 13, 16. We're planning to travel in September - hoping for a little off season. No set dates. We enjoy snorkeling.

Any suggestions? Recommendations?

Last edited by old.sparkles; Apr 2nd 2014 at 12:47 am. Reason: edit image
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Barrier Reef family holiday Recommendations?

Originally Posted by tiger222
OK, we're finally getting around to planning our family trip to the GBR. We're a family with 6 - children ages 7, 11, 13, 16. We're planning to travel in September - hoping for a little off season. No set dates. We enjoy snorkeling.

Any suggestions? Recommendations? http://britishexpats.com/forum/image.../lightbulb.gif
Well if i was going to base myself on the mainland and doing the touristy thing to the reef via boat or plane the choice would probably be a toss of the coin between Cairns and Airlie Beach. Both great places imho ,Cairns being like a mini city with a population of approx 150,000 with access also to the Tablelands whereas Airlie is a little town of approx 9.000 people(also one of the few backpacker places left on the Eastern Coast) which reminds me of a European Spain/ Greece holiday resort with only a couple of main streets.
Can't help with the island stay as the only time we holidayed on an island was a few years ago on Lindeman Island but it unfortunately it had closed the last i heard
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Well if i was going to base myself on the mainland and doing the touristy thing to the reef via boat or plane the choice would probably be a toss of the coin between Cairns and Airlie Beach. Both great places imho ,Cairns being like a mini city with a population of approx 150,000 with access also to the Tablelands whereas Airlie is a little town of approx 9.000 people(also one of the few backpacker places left on the Eastern Coast) which reminds me of a European Spain/ Greece holiday resort with only a couple of main streets.
Can't help with the island stay as the only time we holidayed on an island was a few years ago on Lindeman Island but it unfortunately it had closed the last i heard
Bobbyftm -

Thanks for the advice. I like the sound of a quiet little town of Airlie Beach.

Which town should we fly into from Sydney?

Do you have a recommendation of time of year? Is September considered off season? Jellyfish?

Thanks

Catherine
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 11:47 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, well it wasn't really a quiet little town when I was there, it was backpackerland. I doubt it's got better.

Do you have a recommendation of time of year? Is September considered off season? Jellyfish?
It would be remiss not to suggest Hamilton Island. Not what I'd call cheap, but you can fly directly to the island, there's lots of activities, the reef is easy to get to, etc.

http://www.hamiltonisland.com.au/reef-view-hotel/

IIRC september would be off season for jellies - although that far north they are around year long.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Hmm, well it wasn't really a quiet little town when I was there, it was backpackerland. I doubt it's got better.

Quite pleased i never said it was quiet and did refer to it as one of the only backpacker places left on the East Coast There are indeed 3 backpacker bars left but never seen any hassle in any of them as they usually are full of Europeans who tend to respect other places when on holiday as opposed to the local eeeejits who don't One of the beauties of the place is that there are other bars in town so you can have it as noisy or as quiet as you prefer And into the bargain there is a lovely lagoon in the middle for all !

It would be remiss not to suggest Hamilton Island. Not what I'd call cheap, but you can fly directly to the island, there's lots of activities, the reef is easy to get to, etc.

http://www.hamiltonisland.com.au/reef-view-hotel/

IIRC september would be off season for jellies - although that far north they are around year long.
Attached Thumbnails Great Barrier Reef family holiday Recommendations?-airlie-beach-new-year-026.jpg  
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bobbyftm -

Thanks

Catherine
The local airport is at Proserpine which is served by airlines from Sydney.Coach from airport to Airlie beach would take about 30-40 mins but with 6 people probably cheaper for taxi i would guess

All year climate info here
http://weather.mla.com.au/climate-hi...d/airlie-beach

It may well not be everyones cup of tea but for 50+year old it is definitely somewhere i could retire to

Last edited by bobbyftm; Apr 3rd 2014 at 11:29 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Hey Bobby -

Thanks for the great photo and airport information.

Considering the size of our family, we have usually looked for stand alone holiday accommodation - hotels don't usually work for us.

I'll take a look at what's available in Airlie area. I'm always open to suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks again!

Catherine
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey Bobby -

Thanks for the great photo and airport information.

Considering the size of our family, we have usually looked for stand alone holiday accommodation - hotels don't usually work for us.

I'll take a look at what's available in Airlie area. I'm always open to suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks again!

Catherine
A couple of websites for starters Catherine which may be of help

http://www.rent-a-home.com.au/search...redesign&irs=y

http://www.stayz.com.au/accommodatio...=VIC&states=WA

I just stuck the dates in from 21st-28th Sept (which is 1st week school holidays here in Qld so would be classed as peak period i guess) so more $$$
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 12:26 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I did Airlie Beach a few years ago and "quiet town" wasn't really the vibe I picked up on.

I liked the place but "backpackers steamed up on cheap booze and numerous wet t-shirt competitions" was more the focus.

Needless to say given I left my family behind and went with a drinking buddy I enjoyed it a lot.

For a family holiday.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 12:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I did Airlie Beach a few years ago and "quiet town" wasn't really the vibe I picked up on.

I liked the place but "backpackers steamed up on cheap booze and numerous wet t-shirt competitions" was more the focus.

Needless to say given I left my family behind and went with a drinking buddy I enjoyed it a lot.

For a family holiday.
I spent some time there during my backpacker days. At the time, major storms prevented any GBR activity, so heavy drinking, drug taking and the (attempted) shagging of Danish backpackers was the order of the day - much more fun than looking at coral and brightly coloured fish
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DeadVim

For a family holiday.
OK DeadVim - I get the vibe you're sending. Maybe Port Douglas for the family ?
Old Apr 4th 2014, 2:52 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

OK DeadVim - I get the vibe you're sending. Maybe Port Douglas for the family ?
Maybe, I have no experience of Port Douglas ...

I did like Airlie as a starting point though and doubtless you could get away from the backpacking thing if you stayed off the beaten track.

I am a really crap tourist guide, can you tell?
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:42 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions? Recommendations? http://britishexpats.com/forum/image.../lightbulb.gif
There's a really great big4 in airlie the kids would love it and you'd be away from the backpacker scene, there's backpackers in cairns too, as there is with most places. Airlie is a beautiful place to vist
Old Apr 5th 2014, 2:00 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I spent some time there during my backpacker days. At the time, major storms prevented any GBR activity, so heavy drinking, drug taking and the (attempted) shagging of Danish backpackers was the order of the day - much more fun than looking at coral and brightly coloured fish
I knew there was a reason I liked you.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 10:33 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Got to say that if I was planning a holiday to a reef where I wanted to snorkel off the beach as opposed to taking a long boat ride to the snorkelling location I would choose the Ningaloo reef over the Barrier reef.

This is an uninformed opinion - anyone care to confirm / correct me?

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.