Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Great Barrier Reef family holiday Recommendations?

Great Barrier Reef family holiday Recommendations?

Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Great Barrier Reef family holiday Recommendations?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Got to say that if I was planning a holiday to a reef where I wanted to snorkel off the beach as opposed to taking a long boat ride to the snorkelling location I would choose the Ningaloo reef over the Barrier reef.

This is an uninformed opinion - anyone care to confirm / correct me?

BB
Well Buzzy, I have heard some really good things about Nigaloo Reef. We're open to that idea.

Any opinions? GBR v Nigaloo - pro/con
Old Apr 6th 2014, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Ningaloo might be a lovely, accessible reef but when you've done your bit of snorkelling there's not a lot else to see or do in that part of WA.

The towns are tiny, the scenery is flat and harsh and it's a really long way from anywhere else.

The GBR on the other hand is off a developed coast, with plenty of accommodation options and masses of tours to choose from. When you've done your snorkelling you can check out the rainforest, do some bushwalking, abseil down waterfalls, go white-water rafting - or any of the multitude of activities available somewhere like Cairns.

Depends what you want, really.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:00 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Got to say that if I was planning a holiday to a reef where I wanted to snorkel off the beach as opposed to taking a long boat ride to the snorkelling location I would choose the Ningaloo reef over the Barrier reef.

This is an uninformed opinion - anyone care to confirm / correct me?

BB
If you wants to snorkel off the beach in the GBR it can be done on the coral cays, north west and lady musgrove Island spring to mind, take your tent and camping gear on the ferry and you've arrived in paradise! No need to even take a snorkel mask everything is clearly visable or the need to make the extremely long trip to ningaloo, it's hardly an easily accessible town!

A pic from my girls at north west.
Attached Thumbnails Great Barrier Reef family holiday Recommendations?-image.jpg  
Old Apr 6th 2014, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Tim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant future

We have been to port Douglas a few times and in fact heading back end of August , busy enough for us but not too busy good mix of shops and restaurants mixed bag price wise lots of hotels/ resorts to chose from been out to the reef a few times but last time had a day out to the low isles ( I think ) full BBQ on the boat only 14 of us on it a great days snorkelling and saw lots of whales as well.
Flew into cairns then a transfer up to PD about 50 min
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kelli28
If you wants to snorkel off the beach in the GBR it can be done on the coral cays, north west and lady musgrove Island spring to mind, take your tent and camping gear on the ferry and you've arrived in paradise! No need to even take a snorkel mask everything is clearly visable or the need to make the extremely long trip to ningaloo, it's hardly an easily accessible town!

A pic from my girls at north west.
Beautiful photo! Sounds great! I'll have a look
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tim65
We have been to port Douglas a few times and in fact heading back end of August , busy enough for us but not too busy good mix of shops and restaurants mixed bag price wise lots of hotels/ resorts to chose from been out to the reef a few times but last time had a day out to the low isles ( I think ) full BBQ on the boat only 14 of us on it a great days snorkelling and saw lots of whales as well.
Tim -
Sounds like a great trip - will you do the low isles trip again?

Thanks for the tip!
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NickyC
Ningaloo might be a lovely, accessible reef but when you've done your bit of snorkelling there's not a lot else to see or do in that part of WA.

The towns are tiny, the scenery is flat and harsh and it's a really long way from anywhere else.

The GBR on the other hand is off a developed coast, with plenty of accommodation options and masses of tours to choose from. When you've done your snorkelling you can check out the rainforest, do some bushwalking, abseil down waterfalls, go white-water rafting - or any of the multitude of activities available somewhere like Cairns.

Depends what you want, really.
Nicky -

I think you're correct. Being as remote as you describe in WA doesn't sound like a good family trip for a 7 year old. We need more "diversions"

Nigaloo some time in the future - not this time.

GBR planning, bring it.

Catherine
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:17 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

We had a week in Cairns last year and are definitely going to stay in PD next time (enjoyed Cairns, just want the more small town feel of PD next, will definitely go back to Cairns again too)
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Tim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant future

Hi tiger 222,
Yes will do the low isles again it was such a good trip well worth it .
Old Apr 8th 2014, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dreamy
We had a week in Cairns last year and are definitely going to stay in PD next time (enjoyed Cairns, just want the more small town feel of PD next, will definitely go back to Cairns again too)
Dreamy -

Was this a family trip - with children? I'd be interested to hear what you did and where you stayed.

At the risk of sounding obvious, is PD tropical? DH wants a "tropical" escape.

Thanks

Catherine
Old Apr 8th 2014, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi tiger 222,
Yes will do the low isles again it was such a good trip well worth it .
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth waiting to see what's still there after Cyclone Ita goes through ...

Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:14 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Might be worth waiting to see what's still there after Cyclone Ita goes through ...

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65001.png?1397004340486
I doubt PD will suffer anything more than a rainy day from that scenario, honestly those of you from non tropical areas harden up ehh?