Reload this Page >

Is the grass greener?

Is the grass greener?

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:17 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is the grass greener?

Originally Posted by bella-71
Just wondered if the grass is actually greener on the other side?

Is it worth up rooting my family and moving to perth for a better life.

I`ve read lots of mixed messages on these boards. Our reasons for thinking we would like to leave the UK and emigrate are as follows:

1/ The UK is going downhill, I work for the civil service and it is clearly tumbling!

2/ The population! Houses being built 3 stories high in every small space around cities and towns. And right behind our house that used to be a clear open space full of trees.

3/ The amount of immigrants both legal and illegal that are getting into the UK

4/ The fact that there are knives and drugs in most schools

5/ The fact that I cant allow my children to walk to the corner shop alone as a convicted child rapist has been re housed just up the road.

6/ The fact that we went on holiday to Florida for 2 weeks and by the time we returned there had been 3 murders in our town

I am not stupid and know that day to day life is mundane where-ever you live but surely we should give it a go for the sake of our children and the next generations!

I understand that a lot of the bigger cities in OZ have similar problems but surely the suburbs are generally nice places to live.

I will be leaving a lot of close friends behind, my Mum and Dad will be the biggest wrench from the kids but its our life, not theirs and surely we should do with it as we see fit.

Any advice or comments appreciated.

I think i should mention the fact my daughter is one of two white girls in her class, the rest being asian, and a couple greek and italian, she was told at one point she was not allowed to play as she was too white, as we come from a small scottish town, which is full of scots born and bred there, these things are a bit of a shock to us.

I dont want this to sound negative as its actually a good school and she is quite happy there.........i think
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I think i should mention the fact my daughter is one of two white girls in her class, the rest being asian, and a couple greek and italian, she was told at one point she was not allowed to play as she was too white, as we come from a small scottish town, which is full of scots born and bred there, these things are a bit of a shock to us.

I dont want this to sound negative as its actually a good school and she is quite happy there.........i think
i do agree with others that it should be a pull rather than a push to immigrate.

I to am concerned about the increasing problems of the UK, but actually I am quite sheltered from them here in Perth (the one in Scotland that is generally cold and wet...lol) yes we have polish shops here, yes it is becoming harder to be understood in asda becausae everyone is foreign but hats off to them, they are prepared to work hard and do the jobs which those brits won't do because they are better off sat at home on benefits, and you know what they bend over backwards to help you.

So why am I consideriug moving to Oz, well it is the desire i have to work and live in another country, I have no idea if it will suit us but i don't want to get to retirment and have said i didn't try. We have young kids but have no support from our family at all, my parents are 5 hours away from us and make no effort to visit us and make it very hard for us to go and visit them, we were begrudgingly invited for a couple of days at xmas, and my inlaws live in Cyprus so not much difference to them where we live, they or we still have to get on a plane. My other reason is I'm a nurse and the way i feel about working in the NHS at the moment if i don't go and use my skil;ls somewhere else i will be giving nursing up i feel. So i really feel as though it is a pull to move somewhere rather than a push and i think you have to look at these reasons first.

Good luck in your decisions
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is the grass greener?

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
i do agree with others that it should be a pull rather than a push to immigrate.

So why am I consideriug moving to Oz, well it is the desire i have to work and live in another country, I have no idea if it will suit us but i don't want to get to retirment and have said i didn't try. So i really feel as though it is a pull to move somewhere rather than a push and i think you have to look at these reasons first.

THAT is the spirit.

Buzzy
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by suzanne7575

I to am concerned about the increasing problems of the UK, but actually I am quite sheltered from them here in Perth (the one in Scotland that is generally cold and wet...lol) yes we have polish shops here, yes it is becoming harder to be understood in asda becausae everyone is foreign but hats off to them, they are prepared to work hard and do the jobs which those brits won't do because they are better off sat at home on benefits, and you know what they bend over backwards to help you.

So why am I consideriug moving to Oz, well it is the desire i have to work and live in another country, I have no idea if it will suit us but i don't want to get to retirment and have said i didn't try. We have young kids but have no support from our family at all, my parents are 5 hours away from us and make no effort to visit us and make it very hard for us to go and visit them, we were begrudgingly invited for a couple of days at xmas, and my inlaws live in Cyprus so not much difference to them where we live, they or we still have to get on a plane. My other reason is I'm a nurse and the way i feel about working in the NHS at the moment if i don't go and use my skil;ls somewhere else i will be giving nursing up i feel. So i really feel as though it is a pull to move somewhere rather than a push and i think you have to look at these reasons first.

Good luck in your decisions

good onya, but you might regret saying that about the NHS, one of the reasons i would return to scotland is the state and cost of the health service here, i too am a nure and have worked in both public and private hosps in melbourne, and give me the good ole nhs anyday, the cost of health care for us on a limited income is a good chunk of our money, but am too scared to go without it

in scotland the nicest porter in our hosp was polish and we used to hope he would come to help when we needed a porter rather than the grumpy, rude scottish ones, lol
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:19 am
Just Joined

cavacharva is an unknown quantity at this point

It's interesting to see the OP being shouted down for stating immigration as a reason for leaving while considering becoming one herself.

I fully intend intergrating into Australian society. Speaking the langauge etc... I have to otherwise I wouldn't be allowed in the country.

That can not be said for the millions of people who have arrived on our island the past few years.

If people all want to create a little bit of home right down to the language they speak then the UK will cease to exist.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:59 am
Just Joined

bella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nice

`It's interesting to see the OP being shouted down for stating immigration as a reason for leaving while considering becoming one herself.`
Thanks for that. I have tried to explain but seem to keep getting shot down.
The immigration situation in the UK I am referring to is mainly the illegal ones, as I have mentioned in a previous posts.The ones that come in and dont intend to work, bring nothing to the country and just hang about in gangs.
If I were to emigrate my husband and I would both take skills to Oz with us and intend to work hard and fit into the community.
My reasons for the post were to see if people agreed that its what the UK is coming to and `is it better in Perth`
I am not a political person, just a wife and mother who has some difficult choices to make.
I wish I hadn`t put the blooming post on. I had some lovely, lengthy, friendly replies but also some that just made me feel crap. Thanks.
If you are all on this expat site, were you not in my situation at some point?!
I`ve looked back at some of your earlier postings from the days when you went out there yourselves and yes suprisingly you were.
If you`re just going to put me down for my original post then please dont bother posting. Negative comments about my reasons for leaving the UK in relation to my expectations in Perth fine but please dont judge me.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cavacharva
It's interesting to see the OP being shouted down for stating immigration as a reason for leaving while considering becoming one herself.

I fully intend intergrating into Australian society. Speaking the langauge etc... I have to otherwise I wouldn't be allowed in the country.

That can not be said for the millions of people who have arrived on our island the past few years.

If people all want to create a little bit of home right down to the language they speak then the UK will cease to exist.
Australia will very likely become a country dominated by South East Asian and Chinese influence, with the majority being of Asian ethnic origin within 100 years. It's geographical location dictates this, as does it's trading partners. It's the only way this country will survive intact in this region without being invaded, when the energy crunch really hits. Europe will always be Europe... Asia will eventually always be Asia, Including Australasia. The great thing is, past heritage will most probably mean that it hangs on to English as it's main language, with strong ties to Europe. Countries are always evolving it's just happening at a faster rate with freedom of movement and political boundaries becoming less of a Hindrance. Australia is changing at just as rapid a rate as the UK, it could be changing even faster. Personally I'm happy with change. I choose to live amongst other cultures because I love diversity, which is what I get in the City of Moreland here in Melbourne.

Countries don't cease to exist they evolve.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

cavacharva is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Australia will very likely become a country dominated by South East Asian and Chinese influence, with the majority being of Asian ethnic origin within 100 years. It's geographical location dictates this, as does it's trading partners. It's the only way this country will survive intact in this region without being invaded, when the energy crunch really hits. Europe will always be Europe... Asia will eventually always be Asia, Including Australasia. The great thing is, past heritage will most probably mean that it hangs on to English as it's main language, with strong ties to Europe. Countries are always evolving it's just happening at a faster rate with freedom of movement and political boundaries becoming less of a Hindrance. Australia is changing at just as rapid a rate as the UK, it could be changing even faster. Personally I'm happy with change. I choose to live amongst other cultures because I love diversity, which is what I get in the City of Moreland here in Melbourne.

You may be correct regarding the very long term future of Australia, nobody really knows.

But I can assure you there is a difference between the immigration we have in the UK and that in Australia.

In Australia you have to jump through many hoops, financial and skill wise to get in the country. Which ensures that everyone coming to Australia has something to offer the country and is committed to working for their future.

As English language proficiency is a prerequisite this at least ensures all immigrants can communicate with the existing population and means the likelihood of people thinking of themselves as Australians is much greater.

In the UK we seem to just let anyone in and with translators on tap there is no need to intergrate into British life.

If a country just becomes a fragmented bunch of different groups and ethnic enclaves I can assure you it will cease to exist. Just look at Yugoslavia.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Yep very very green at the moment quite water-logged though
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
In my experience those who come to Australia to "get away from the UK" rather than to experience life in Australia, are the first ones to be whinging about how crap things are in Australia, and often live in Oz the shortest time before running off back to good old familiar England/Scotland wherever.

You don't mention a single thing about Australia, positive or negative in your post, its all negative UK stuff.

So in answer to your question "Is it worth up rooting my family and moving to perth for a better life." I would say in your case probably not as you don't seem to want to come to Australia at all, you just seem to want to leave the UK.

Buzzy
I'm with Buzzy I'm afraid. I think that if anyone's trying to get away from somewhere as opposed to wanting to go somewhere because they love that destination, trouble's gonna follow. We've travelled and lived all over the shop and the places I've found the hardest to live in were the ones where I landed having "run away" from somewhere. Go to Australia because you love the idea of it. Not because of lack of crime etc. And the problem with immigrants... I think if you were to go to Magaluf in Spain you'd find Brits who've lived there for years and don't speak Spanish... and supermarkets with isles of British food. Australia is cosmopolitan and international. A country built on a fusion of nationalities. Everyone there's an immigrant! Go to Australia because of what it can offer you... not because you hope bad stuff doesn't happen there.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:35 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

flippin right it is
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:43 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bella-71
`It's interesting to see the OP being shouted down for stating immigration as a reason for leaving while considering becoming one herself.`
Thanks for that. I have tried to explain but seem to keep getting shot down.
The immigration situation in the UK I am referring to is mainly the illegal ones, as I have mentioned in a previous posts.The ones that come in and dont intend to work, bring nothing to the country and just hang about in gangs.
If I were to emigrate my husband and I would both take skills to Oz with us and intend to work hard and fit into the community.
My reasons for the post were to see if people agreed that its what the UK is coming to and `is it better in Perth`
I am not a political person, just a wife and mother who has some difficult choices to make.
I wish I hadn`t put the blooming post on. I had some lovely, lengthy, friendly replies but also some that just made me feel crap. Thanks.
If you are all on this expat site, were you not in my situation at some point?!
I`ve looked back at some of your earlier postings from the days when you went out there yourselves and yes suprisingly you were.
If you`re just going to put me down for my original post then please dont bother posting. Negative comments about my reasons for leaving the UK in relation to my expectations in Perth fine but please dont judge me.
Bella, everyone was in the same situation once (ie being a potential immigrant). The point being made is that if you are coming to Australia to get away from negatives in the UK, you will probably find your new life in Australia a lot less satisfactory than you expect it to be.

The advice given to do a reccie is good, if you haven't been to Oz before. As many posters have mentioned, you may find the negatives you mention in the UK alive and well in Oz.

Please continue to ask questions, just don't be surprised if some of the answers are not what you want to hear!

Buzzy
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

good post ozzie
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cavacharva
You may be correct regarding the very long term future of Australia, nobody really knows.

But I can assure you there is a difference between the immigration we have in the UK and that in Australia.

In Australia you have to jump through many hoops, financial and skill wise to get in the country. Which ensures that everyone coming to Australia has something to offer the country and is committed to working for their future.

As English language proficiency is a prerequisite this at least ensures all immigrants can communicate with the existing population and means the likelihood of people thinking of themselves as Australians is much greater.

In the UK we seem to just let anyone in and with translators on tap there is no need to intergrate into British life.

If a country just becomes a fragmented bunch of different groups and ethnic enclaves I can assure you it will cease to exist. Just look at Yugoslavia.

i can assure you not many understand me for a while i actually avoided talkin in shops and at work etc, but i have got over that

There are very, very, very few asians i have met who understand my thick scottish accent, at work i have to carry a pen and paper to write things down, and to be honest on a daily basis ths gets me 'down' and have you ever sat at a table on your coffee break and your colleagues talking to each other in their own language, it aint nice, believe me!!

Last edited by Margaret3; Jan 3rd 2008 at 7:08 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
i can assure you not many understand me for a while i actually avoided talkin in shops and at work etc, but i have got over that

There are very, very, very few asians i have met who understand my thick scottish accent, at work i have to carry a pen and paper to write things down, and to be honest on a daily basis ths gets me 'down' and have you ever sat at a table on your coffee break and your colleagues talking to each other in their own language, it aint nice, believe me!!
Come on Maggie haven't you tried learning the language to assimilate with the locals - after all English can't be that difficult for you, I'm sure you'd pick it up after a while

I moved from Helensburgh to Salisbury when I was 12 and nobody could understand me so know how frustrating it can be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.