Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is the grass greener?

Is the grass greener?

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is the grass greener?

Originally Posted by bella-71
Just wondered if the grass is actually greener on the other side?

Is it worth up rooting my family and moving to perth for a better life.

I`ve read lots of mixed messages on these boards. Our reasons for thinking we would like to leave the UK and emigrate are as follows:

1/ The UK is going downhill, I work for the civil service and it is clearly tumbling!

2/ The population! Houses being built 3 stories high in every small space around cities and towns. And right behind our house that used to be a clear open space full of trees.

3/ The amount of immigrants both legal and illegal that are getting into the UK

4/ The fact that there are knives and drugs in most schools

5/ The fact that I cant allow my children to walk to the corner shop alone as a convicted child rapist has been re housed just up the road.

6/ The fact that we went on holiday to Florida for 2 weeks and by the time we returned there had been 3 murders in our town

I am not stupid and know that day to day life is mundane where-ever you live but surely we should give it a go for the sake of our children and the next generations!

I understand that a lot of the bigger cities in OZ have similar problems but surely the suburbs are generally nice places to live.

I will be leaving a lot of close friends behind, my Mum and Dad will be the biggest wrench from the kids but its our life, not theirs and surely we should do with it as we see fit.

Any advice or comments appreciated.
I would agree with everything that you say - we have been here for 2 months now and echo each and evryone of your sentiments. I worked for the NHS prior to leaving the UK and vividly remeber one of my last shifts where of the 19 patients we had on the ward - 9 were polish and 4 were asian (all of whom struggeld with the language and in some way or another needed help with translation!). The UK will reach breaking point at sometime and personally I didn't want to be there when it happens

An article in the International Express recently stated that each year the government is spending up to £500 million pounds on translators (yes they earn a lot more than most of us would!) and having information printed in a variety of languages - couple the financial strain with the fact that services such as the NHS and schools just cannot cope with numbers that are entering the uk (legally or illegally!)

What did it cost you get to Australia? Financially and emotionally? How long did it take and was it hard - I bet the answer is yes - I bet if the boot was on the foot of those wanting to enter the UK and the implications were the same as those that we all have been through the numbers would be drastically reduced!

Everyone has start somewhere and having reasons to leave the UK and therefore start on the rollercoaster ride that emigration is, is a good enough reason in my book. You will learn along the way what Australia can offer you and your family. There are things you will like and things that you dont but after being given the great opportunity to be here (that many people dont have!) you will put up and shut up (well most of us). Eutopia it aint but it certainly ticks alot of the boxes at the moment!

Every single brit that I have met since arriving here has echoed your thoughts too - so you are certainly not alone!

Come on over to the other side - the grass is certainly not greener (more brown actually) and a little crisper but hey give it a go!

Lindsey

Last edited by nurselindsey; Jan 2nd 2008 at 9:21 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:21 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jan
What was excellent about the post! I thought it was ignorant. Who is BUZZY B To say ( Iwould say in your case probably not as you dont seem to want to come to australia at all.You just seem to want to leave the u.k.
Well i guess it is quite obvious the poster wishes to leave the u.k. as do most of the posters on here. And give the guy a break (You dont mention a single thing about Australiia positive or negative in your post its all negative u.k. stuff! Well maybe the poster cant make comments on any aspect of Australian life, that is why they are on here to find out. The whole process as we all know is extremely stressfull and know one can tell how anyone else might get on in a new country because until one makes the move one never knows unless your name is BUZZY B Then you can tell from a SINGLE post whether someone might be suitable.
Buzz off! i say.
The general principle holds true ... if you are trying to run away from something that you can't control then you will generally find an equivalent to be equally pissed-off about in your new destination.

Just trying to save some carbon emissions ...
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

My grass isn't green at all - more brown and patchy. But I can live with that, because my life is better here
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:28 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and no, for us to be honest (at the moment anyway)
But being away from family and close friends can be be a big price to pay. But still early days for us.

Having said this, if you don't try how will you ever know, best of luck C x
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:37 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
The general principle holds true ... if you are trying to run away from something that you can't control then you will generally find an equivalent to be equally pissed-off about in your new destination.

Just trying to save some carbon emissions ...
I dont think the poster was trying to ( Run away from something) Merely stating a few damn good reasons why THEY wished to move away from and the Question was is the grass greener fully aware of the same problems existing the world over they just wanted other peeps views of their new enviroment.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:41 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Oz grass is two types... Dead, or growing 1cm a day.

You need to want to come rather than run away. Once an cash transfer is spent, you be having the same living standard if not worse once your earning dollars.

Life is what you make it, and it won't magically change here unless you change.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:43 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jan
I dont think the poster was trying to ( Run away from something) Merely stating a few damn good reasons why THEY wished to move away from and the Question was is the grass greener fully aware of the same problems existing the world over they just wanted other peeps views of their new enviroment.
Well, there was no need to respond in such an aggressive manner ... take a chill pill Jan
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Don't they have road signs in Polish now ?

With all the ping-ponging around we have done (I am dizzy !) Australia is definitely home and I think, offers a lot more than the UK for families etc.

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
AGREED - I was speaking to a guy who is Oz for 6 weeks holiday and he was telling me that its getting worse by the day - and he lives in rural Norfolk. Speaking to some friends back home, they were telling me that our local Tesco's now has a whole isle of Polish food.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:12 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Just wondered if the grass is actually greener on the other side?

Is it worth up rooting my family and moving to perth for a better life.

I`ve read lots of mixed messages on these boards. Our reasons for thinking we would like to leave the UK and emigrate are as follows:

1/ The UK is going downhill, I work for the civil service and it is clearly tumbling!

2/ The population! Houses being built 3 stories high in every small space around cities and towns. And right behind our house that used to be a clear open space full of trees.

3/ The amount of immigrants both legal and illegal that are getting into the UK

4/ The fact that there are knives and drugs in most schools

5/ The fact that I cant allow my children to walk to the corner shop alone as a convicted child rapist has been re housed just up the road.

6/ The fact that we went on holiday to Florida for 2 weeks and by the time we returned there had been 3 murders in our town

I am not stupid and know that day to day life is mundane where-ever you live but surely we should give it a go for the sake of our children and the next generations!

I understand that a lot of the bigger cities in OZ have similar problems but surely the suburbs are generally nice places to live.

I will be leaving a lot of close friends behind, my Mum and Dad will be the biggest wrench from the kids but its our life, not theirs and surely we should do with it as we see fit.

Any advice or comments appreciated.
Hi Bella-71.
I am a kiwi, but call Aussie my home - I am soon to return after being in UK for 6 years. I lived in Australia for 5 years before coming here and the reasons you have listed and VERY similar to the reasons why I personally cannot wait to return. I am soon to start a family and I want my kids to have a childhood that can be spend outside in the great outdoors without fearing for their safety. I want to be able to spend time outdoors and switch my life back to relaxing.

Obviously Australia does have it's faults - but compare all the bad points together and I am sure Australia would come out on top - family and friends is no doubt the hardest for most people, however if you have a good support network and friends that have computers or don't mind flying out every few years, then this becomes manageable. The tough times really are when friends or family have children or death in the family - it can be too much for some immigrants. I have coped for 10 years away from my close family and while it's hard, we see each other every 18mths or so, speak regularly and chat via the net.

I do agree with another poster that you should try it out first, although bear in mind a holiday still will only go so far to show you real life.

Do ALOT of research - read alot of posts on this forum - I have found out a number of things that have changed, or that I never considered and they have made me scale back my exuberance somewhat, because I don't want to come back thinking everything will be better - I know that I will hate some things I have forgotten about and all of a sudden will realise that some things in the UK I am going to miss like crazy (but whilst I am still here it's hard for me to appreciate).
Good luck.

Have you thought about another part of the UK? There are still places that still possess those qualities you seek - (far far away from London though I would imagine)
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

bella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nicebella-71 is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies, some very helpful information, some not.
Buzzy bee, my original post was obviously negative UK as I am trying to make sure my reasons for emigrating are strong enough:
A better life for the kids etc.
How can I make postive comments about OZ when the post was supposed to be negative to the UK and asking if people agreed.
You should give me a break, I have a husband who loves Australia, is desperate to move there and has a job offer in perth imminent. I am trying to make my decisions and it is not easy as I am close to my family but have to think about my 2 small children.
We live near to Bradford some of you will know that that says everything.
I did ask in my post the questions Is it worth up rooting my family and moving to perth for a better life? And I understand that a lot of the bigger cities in OZ have similar problems but surely the suburbs are generally nice places to live?
These were questions? D`oh. Asking advice. I thought thats what these boards were for.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:48 pm

jackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nice

Originally Posted by sdunx
Excellent points and very good post
ditto
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:56 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is the grass greener?

Asking advice. I thought thats what these boards were for.

You asked for advice and I gave you advice. As did many others. That doesn't mean you have to like all the advice given. If you post on a discussion forum you may not like all the replies, but you should weigh them all up before making any decisions, including the replies you may not feel comfortable hearing.

Buzzy
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the replies, some very helpful information, some not.
Buzzy bee, my original post was obviously negative UK as I am trying to make sure my reasons for emigrating are strong enough:
A better life for the kids etc.
How can I make postive comments about OZ when the post was supposed to be negative to the UK and asking if people agreed.
You should give me a break, I have a husband who loves Australia, is desperate to move there and has a job offer in perth imminent. I am trying to make my decisions and it is not easy as I am close to my family but have to think about my 2 small children.
We live near to Bradford some of you will know that that says everything.
I did ask in my post the questions Is it worth up rooting my family and moving to perth for a better life? And I understand that a lot of the bigger cities in OZ have similar problems but surely the suburbs are generally nice places to live?
These were questions? D`oh. Asking advice. I thought thats what these boards were for.
Hi Bella, I also feel negative about the UK and I am moving to Perth with my two teenage children. I have battled to become a midwife, managed to get my children a good education and worked really hard since i was 16 and it feels like non of this is appreciated in the UK. I find that although I am a positive person i am surrounded by negative factors. At times i feel guilty moaning about the UK but i feel like i have given it my best shot in the Uk and have not been supported. So I felt it was time to up sticks and take my skills and my two well educated children and move to a country that will value us. Now i am not stupid i know Australia does not hold all of the answers to my dreams but I think we stand a better chance there.

The only bit of advice i can give you is that i wish i had moved my children when they were younger, but the time was not right for us. Good luck with everything and ask me as many questions as you like, i might not have the answers but i know what it feels like to be a concerned mum
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

OK Australia bound, when I mention immigrants I mean in general the illegal ones that seem to egt in and then be allowed to stay even though they bring nothing to the country, also the ones that bring their whole families into the UK and the rest who cant even speak English. I have had massive experience of these people in my job face to face on their doorsteps and they are just downright rude! I will certainly not be that in Australia!!
Oh sorry I forgot Australia doesn't have any such issues

Never thought of changing your job if you dislike it so much?
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
In my experience those who come to Australia to "get away from the UK" rather than to experience life in Australia, are the first ones to be whinging about how crap things are in Australia, and often live in Oz the shortest time before running off back to good old familiar England/Scotland wherever.

You don't mention a single thing about Australia, positive or negative in your post, its all negative UK stuff.

So in answer to your question "Is it worth up rooting my family and moving to perth for a better life." I would say in your case probably not as you don't seem to want to come to Australia at all, you just seem to want to leave the UK.

Buzzy

Eloquently put buzzy.

Bemuses me why people need to run down the whole of the UK as a reason to move to Australia. Personally hope life in Aus is as good as it is in North Yorkshire (have Polish food in Tesco here too, but I have no issue with them like so many seem to do). Only negatives I can think of cost of housing (but will be same issue in aus when earning dollars) and current wet cold weather .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.