British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   grass (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/grass-500236/)

eddie007 Dec 16th 2007 7:53 pm

Re: grass

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5676256)
What's a live in mower? We have lots of grass and it's all green, you ain't having it though. We've got a ride on as well :p

live in lawn mower is like a live in dishwasher... ie HIM indoors

moneypenny20 Dec 16th 2007 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 5676266)
live in lawn mower is like a live in dishwasher... ie HIM indoors

ahhhh;) ok:D What's referred to in my house as the live in oven cleaner :thumbsup:

Dorothy Dec 16th 2007 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 5676264)
i thought that,but how come it always looks great in the parks?

Unrestricted retic.

St.Georges Girl Dec 16th 2007 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 5676264)
i thought that,but how come it always looks great in the parks?

'Cos our water rates are paying for the reticulation systems and humongous amount of wasted water. I know you live in the hills M, so maybe your grass, as long as you water regular, fertilise once a fortnight and watch out for the black beetles, should be better than down here in the sandy suburbs. It really takes alot of effort and money to keep ours green and we do succeed most of the year, but we do get months where it goes abit patchy. You must want alot of grass to be thinking about a ride on mower, so it might be an idea if you drove around your neighbourhood to see how other peoples grass is looking and chat to afew people up that way if you can.:)

Vim Fuego Dec 16th 2007 8:06 pm

We've upgraded our ride-on temporarily to a horse (we're looking after it) ... easier to start and marginally nicer to look at compared to our Rover Beast.

1hp versus 16.5hp but it seems to get the job done with minimal fuss.

If you get a chance I suggest y'all get a big brown one.

aston man Dec 16th 2007 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl (Post 5676281)
'Cos our water rates are paying for the reticulation systems and humongous amount of wasted water. I know you live in the hills M, so maybe your grass, as long as you water regular, fertilise once a fortnight and watch out for the black beetles, should be better than down here in the sandy suburbs. It really takes alot of effort and money to keep ours green and we do succeed most of the year, but we do get months where it goes abit patchy. You must want alot of grass to be thinking about a ride on mower, so it might be an idea if you drove around your neighbourhood to see how other peoples grass is looking and chat to afew people up that way if you can.:)

at last,thank you..

i think the problem up here ,with the rock underneath it bakes ,,,,and no one will open there door to me;):D

i was thinking of having a bore hole put in,,,,

i might go and see the greenkeeper round the corner...

thanks..

ast

moneypenny20 Dec 16th 2007 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego (Post 5676285)
We've upgraded our ride-on temporarily to a horse (we're looking after it) ... easier to start and marginally nicer to look at compared to our Rover Beast.

1hp versus 16.5hp but it seems to get the job done with minimal fuss.

If you get a chance I suggest y'all get a big brown one.

They don't appear to get grass over that side so a horse would be redundant.

aston man Dec 16th 2007 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5676306)
They don't appear to get grass over that side so a horse would be redundant.

a bleedin horse,,heve ya seen the size of the shite them things produce...:rofl:

Wol Dec 16th 2007 8:24 pm

Well, *my* grass is lush and green and will remain so! :thumbsup:

Actually it grows so fast you can hear it coming up at night.... Mowing twice a week is no fun.

Each cut is two trailer-loads to the tip @ $10 each, unless it's mulched in which case it tends to lie on the surface and rot.

St.Georges Girl Dec 16th 2007 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 5676289)
at last,thank you..

i think the problem up here ,with the rock underneath it bakes ,,,,and no one will open there door to me;):D

i was thinking of having a bore hole put in,,,,

i might go and see the greenkeeper round the corner...

thanks..

ast

Try taking the mask off.....:lol:

Serious now, you might want to think about your water consumption bill. It is no longer free with a bore and you are restricted on your watering days too. Also, bore water can and probably will, end up turning your walls that dreadful rusty brown and there's nothing you can do about it, it just doesn't come off. This grass of yours is going to end up costing you a heck of alot, what with having the bore put in (rotten job), watering, fertilising, insect extermination and a ride on toboot.:blink:

aston man Dec 16th 2007 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl (Post 5676315)
Try taking the mask off.....:lol:

Serious now, you might want to think about your water consumption bill. It is no longer free with a bore and you are restricted on your watering days too. Also, bore water can and probably will, end up turning your walls that dreadful rusty brown and there's nothing you can do about it, it just doesn't come off. This grass of yours is going to end up costing you a heck of alot, what with having the bore put in (rotten job), watering, fertilising, insect extermination and a ride on toboot.:blink:

i must admit,at first it was appealing to have a massive back garden,but know its hard trying to come up with ideas for ground cover...

sel Dec 16th 2007 8:33 pm

You definitely need a bore and lots of reticulation. I am in the process of getting my paddock cleared, retic'd and levelled and fertillized ready for grass. The best grass and most expensive is buffalo grass which is what they use in Kings Park, it gives that nice thick springy feel.

St.Georges Girl Dec 16th 2007 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 5676336)
i must admit,at first it was appealing to have a massive back garden,but know its hard trying to come up with ideas for ground cover...

Liquid Limestone.:rofl:

BadgeIsBack Dec 16th 2007 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 5676112)
is it a nightmare here...

i want grass everywhere,i want a sit on mower,i want to live the dream...

please,,,are you a grass owner,is it a nightmare to look after...

they have all kinds of stuff that eat it here dont they,,,and i dont mean cows ,goats and sheep ,,,before you all start..

thank you..

sensible replies only please....

Mate, it's a nightmare if you DON'T have a sitdown.

I pushed over an acre for 3 summers and if it was not hard work - it was hot work, and even if it is 20 odd degrees to get it done smartly you still got hot.

I've now got a 2nd hand mower - a 13hp 38inch cut MTD (new ones are more like 42")- really an American lawn manicurer with 7 gears forward, 7 reverse,and it takes the same time because I now mow more of the grass at one session, but it is less effort and I like the solitude. Greenfields to name a brand are built for Aussy conditions and are smaller and use toe-heel operation. They cut less but only use one blade so you get less of a mohawk effect. You get what you pay for. Secondhand ones can be hard to get as people tend to hold on to them until they are renos.

Most Aussies mow very short, I leave it a bit longer. My grass in the yard has the septic under it so it grows an inch a week. The grass starts going in September and its an every week job until April. It's a fast growing, drought resistant hard wearing grass - buffalo/kikayu. Lots of people have lawn grasses and a lot are now dying or suffered in 2006/7. We get more rain here than elsewhere in the City or out West.

My recommendation is not to collect the grass. Leave it to sit. Or just collect in the lawn area by the house. In grass growing weather, ie. rain plus sun then you may have to rake of course but I have never done in 4 seasons.

Check your rain fall and look at the neighbours and what grass they have.

eddie007 Dec 16th 2007 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 5676336)

how about building a small (6inch) wooden fence around the entire outsideedge, not bothering with the grass and call it a SANDPIT:rofl: