Reload this Page >

grandparents 12 month visit to family

Wikiposts

grandparents 12 month visit to family

Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Mike Lee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default grandparents 12 month visit to family

I am 71 my wife is 63 we want to visit family in central coast N.S.W. for twelve months but are encountering all sorts of problems like because of my age i have to take a medical,cannot book one way flights without residents permit,travel insurance would cost in the region of £1000 each even with the reciprocal medicare arrangement and it is looking more and more difficult. Any info/advice would be great.

Last edited by Mike Lee; Jan 11th 2011 at 6:55 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: grandparents 12 month visit to family

Have you thought of doing 6 months here and 6 months there? Just as an alternative perhaps. My parents had 15 years of that - finally stopped doing it when they turned 80 but AFAIK they never had a visa problem, they didnt have to do a medical and they always had a return ticket but were able to register each year for medicare as a visitor. Perpetual summer for them arriving in October and leaving in March - they were able to build a granny flat on our block as well and so always have somewhere of their own to stay - and they left their car with us when they went back each year. I know that isnt what you were after but it might be an alternative which is more manageable.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Mike Lee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
Have you thought of doing 6 months here and 6 months there? Just as an alternative perhaps. My parents had 15 years of that - finally stopped doing it when they turned 80 but AFAIK they never had a visa problem, they didnt have to do a medical and they always had a return ticket but were able to register each year for medicare as a visitor. Perpetual summer for them arriving in October and leaving in March - they were able to build a granny flat on our block as well and so always have somewhere of their own to stay - and they left their car with us when they went back each year. I know that isnt what you were after but it might be an alternative which is more manageable.
hi thanks for that, it is an option to consider but its the long flights every six months that are the offputter
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You can book return flights but either keep the return leg open or set a date which you can later change, obviously there would be a charge but at least you'd be here
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Lee
hi thanks for that, it is an option to consider but its the long flights every six months that are the offputter
LOL you get used to them I assure you! An Avomine (travel sick pill) and a glass of wine and the rest is a bit of a blur!
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:45 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
LOL you get used to them I assure you! An Avomine (travel sick pill) and a glass of wine and the rest is a bit of a blur!
Avomine now on the list, thanks Quoll.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:48 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I am 71 my wife is 63 we want to visit family in central coast N.S.W. for twelve months but are encountering all sorts of problems like because of my age i have to take a medical,cannot book one way flights without residents permit,travel insurance would cost in the region of £1000 each even with the reciprocal medicare arrangement and it is looking more and more difficult. Any info/advice would be great.
Do you think it may be the one way ticket causing most of the problems? My mother came here a few times in her late 70's and I don't recall her having any problems, she was just visiting..........for as long as she wanted I suppose on a return ticket.........
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Who told you that you need return tickets? You'll have a visa valid for 12 months, so you certainly cannot be expected to book tickets that far in advance. Try a different travel agent or do it yourself online.

My mother came over to visit my sister while she underwent chemo in August 2009 on a one-way ticket as she didn't know how long she was staying.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Your Grandcchildren are VERY lucky peeps to have their grandparents coming for a long visit like that