Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Good Lord Get Us Out of Here!

Good Lord Get Us Out of Here!

Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:48 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Lord Get Us Out of Here!

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Can only speak of our experiences in Brisbane, north and southside, and rural and suburban. FFFF
Very true. And that is my experience. That is why i said i feel it depends on where you live.
We also had that Corey debarcle recently down in Melbourne. I think he wa sin the burbs, but i couldnt be bothered reading most of it.
All this crap is a nasty disease within our society, and by that i mean the western world, not just isolated to the UK.
The internet has spread this revolting attitude around the globe. The only difference being there are not as many kids in Australia as there are in UK. Still happens though!

I dont have a clue what the answer is, but find the whole psyche of the youth hard to deal with now. I feel like an old fart saying it, but general attitudes and a lack of boundaries towards other people seem to have disappeared down the gurgler.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:49 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

same here.

We used to go brook jumping , make peg guns, and go karts from old planks and shopping trolleys.
Not long ago I had half the bloody street with bits of cardboard pegged to the back wheels of the kids bikes,all sounding like mini harleys,the Aussies had never done that before..kids thought it was brilliant...
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

The point is tho, it happens everywhere.

However, due to the length of roads in Oz, street corners are few and far between, so the proportions are way lower than the uk.

Also, kids dont tend to hang out on streets here. They do stuff !

Ive never seen any evidence of it here, and I saw it daily in te uk... for erm 40 years nigh on.
The feeling of intimidation has gone from me since moving here... I dont know why.

The 'doing things' comment I really agree with.. Back in the UK theres mothing to do accept think about arsing about ie.. throwing bottles, smashing bus stop windows, picking on smaller kids etc etc. My sons are almost 15 and almost 16 and I have only just started letting them go out for longer periods of time... I wont let them take a bus or get an evening job even now!! Overprotective parent or what!!

However there are good and bad everywhere and I hope your daughter is ok.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:51 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

uh huh

society in general is stripping away childrens childishness and maturing them earlier. Its a shame, but in UK, I found kids werent allowed to be kids for very long...
In Oz, I find it the contrary, kids are seen and to be heard, and to do kids stuff, in a grown up manner, but still essentially kids.

Ste
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:53 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Not long ago I had half the bloody street with bits of cardboard pegged to the back wheels of the kids bikes,all sounding like mini harleys,the Aussies had never done that before..kids thought it was brilliant...
Ralleigh Chopper, 2 clothes PEGS and cigarette cards !!

You BEAUTY !
Old Apr 5th 2008, 7:42 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell you what though, if it happened here I bet an adult wouldn't just stand around and do nothing about it.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

turkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the rough

That many of the little sh*ts and the adult did nothing :curse::curse::curse: w*nker!!!!!

But at least he went home to his wife and kids that night... Not like some, who step in to do the right thing.....
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:29 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

She's fine this morning - a bit of a purple nose, but smiling & over the shock. Her friend went off to dance lessons quite happily as usual this morning.

Unbelievably, after I posted last night, friend's mum popped round to say the Police had been back in touch & they knew who the main perpetrators were from the descriptions our girls gave - they were going out to lift the little b@st@ds! I don't doubt they'll get anything but a ticking off, but we feel pleased at least that the Police are making the effort to bring them into the station & take it seriously. Hopefully they'll think twice in future.

And hopefully one or two of them will have pretty decent parents that will be appalled to find out the behaviour of their kids & make sure they get the punishment they deserve.

I know this can happen anywhere, we've lived down in Devon which everyone thinks is some kind of quaint bucolic backwater & seen some horrid scenes. I'm just hoping, I guess, that my girls can start to mix with a load of kids that share their love of the beach & surfing & that they'll be occupied doing that, rather than running into the sort of kids that have neither the intellect nor the motivation to do anything useful with themselves.

But maybe, as a mum, I'm in danger of analysing this all far too much!
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

marcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to all

I agree with the majority of sentiment expressed in these posts.

Awful that it happened - and good to hear that at the very least, some of the little shits are getting locked up.

Nowhere's safe and yes it does happen in Oz too. There are reports of beach brawls and bashings (Christmas Day in Geraldton, a gang of 15 year olds involved in a fight a few months back - can find the link if anyone's bothered) and street attacks too. But it ISN'T to the same level as in the UK yet in terms of frequency. Reasons are different - more to do in Perth, different mentality of SOME kids etc...

I lived in the Southern suburbs when I grew up here in Perth and regularly played in the street all day every day (and on a HUGE block of vacant land next door) with a group of kids who lived around the road. No dramas, no worries. Definately halcyon days. Equally, there was a group I didn't associate with in the area who at 12/13/14 were into their cheap beer they nicked from their parents stash whilst they were at work and would drink during the day and would cause problems at night. This was back in the early to mid 90s.

As others have said, the area you choose to live in makes a big difference on the lifestyle and experiences you'll have. So choose wisely! That said, I lived in a suburb that was supposed to be in the middle of a pretty dodgy area, and had no dramas personally (then I was hardly ever there as I was always working!)