Gold coast rentals

Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

rh8463 is just really nicerh8463 is just really nicerh8463 is just really nicerh8463 is just really nicerh8463 is just really nicerh8463 is just really nicerh8463 is just really nicerh8463 is just really nice
Default Gold coast rentals

Hi Everyone,

I apologise, theres a lot on accommodation on here but I am looking to rent prior to arrival and save the hassle of holiday accommodation. Im hoping you can help.

Im moving with my OH on Nov5th, to work at Griffith Uni on the gold coast so was looking in the areas of southport, helensvale, oxenford and so on. Does anyone know any reputable realestate agents or any I should avoid and same for areas. We really are looking for just a one/2 bed max place for the two of us, reasonable price, for 6 months until we possibly buy.

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gold coast rentals

Hello,

I am moving to that area too. Emailed estate agents this week asking about rentals.

Replies are that most agents only get properties a couple of weeks before the let dates so you really have to be on hand to pick them up.

Also, they don't like to rent to people unseen.

They also like to have a stack of references to look through. A job contract helps and so does a few months rent up front if you can do that.

Historical advice on BE and what I have found out from the agents myself all seems to suggest that the best thing is to have holiday accomodation for the first week or two while you look around and find yourself a rental.

If you are determined to sort it out from here though, good luck. Please could you post on here to let me know how you get on?

Good luck,
Ren
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

rh8463 is just really nicerh8463 is just really nicerh8463 is just really nicerh8463 is just really nicerh8463 is just really nicerh8463 is just really nicerh8463 is just really nicerh8463 is just really nice

Hi Ren,

I appreciate the advice. Can get tonnes of references and I do have a good contract (hence move) and collateral from savings, plus house on the market and should sell soon. So....I can get them what they want as long as they will rent unseen.

Really hope I find something because I just want it out of the way. Plus, holiday accommodation is not cheap....

Will keep you updated.

Rachel
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

If you register with realestate.com.au you can search for agents in those areas and email them direct. Thats what I did.

You can also filter all sorts of searches and save them. They will then email you daily updates for each search you have saved.

Good luck.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:37 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rh8463
Hi Everyone,

I apologise, theres a lot on accommodation on here but I am looking to rent prior to arrival and save the hassle of holiday accommodation. Im hoping you can help.

Im moving with my OH on Nov5th, to work at Griffith Uni on the gold coast so was looking in the areas of southport, helensvale, oxenford and so on. Does anyone know any reputable realestate agents or any I should avoid and same for areas. We really are looking for just a one/2 bed max place for the two of us, reasonable price, for 6 months until we possibly buy.

Thanks for your help!

my opinion
personly i think this is a recipie for disastor, its bad enough when you book a holiday and get there only to realise that the pictures in the brouchure and discription were more than flattering, at least then its only a few weeks but signing up for six months or more on the info from a realestate agent,
well quite frankly scares me
the safest way IMO would be to book a holiday rental ( we booked one for five weeks as it cut the weekly rent in half ) and have a proper look yourselfs

people on here will recommend places for you and advise against certain places as been shall we say dodgey, but even thats only their opinion and may not fit in with your conception of the "ideal" place to live,

regards steve
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help!
Hi
I think Steve o is right. Maybe you should think about booking holiday accomodation for a week or so so that you can have a look for a rental. Also, it depends on how far you want to live form the uni. I attend Griffith and live near Robina, and find it takes me about 20 mins max on the highway to the uni. It also depends on your budget.

Good luck.

PS Coffee Bug has the best coffee on campus
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi Debs and Steve,

Thanks for the advice, you have definitely got me thinking and I will discuss it with my OH tomorrow.

Debs, Im looking for somewhere within cycling distance really, in the hope that we can become a one car family. I appreciate the advice on coffee!

Renshen, I have enquired about several properties just to see what replies I et and so far have had one gone already, one flat refusal unseen, 1 that asked for refs and ID and a weeks rent to hold it and 1 that only wanted confirmation of my job and a weeks rent until we get there.
When are you moving exactly and to what area?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Annie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really nice

Totally agree about renting somewhere site unseen - you can get holiday rentals on realestate.com.au they have a section. Plus when you get here there are places in www.seqrents.com.au that are not listed by agents but by the building or complex managers....

Don't think you will be able to cycle from Oxenford! Would suggest especially for 1 or 2 bed places look at Southport, Labrador, Ashmore. They are all within "cycling" distance and Biggera Waters, Coombabah and Runaway Bay also possible - depends how fit you want to get!

Labrador and Ashmore are quite big suburbs with many different parts - so choose carefully...

That's my suggestion... I have found real estate agents aren't too helpful with rentals when you are not actually here. The one person I would have suggested has now sold their rent roll!

Good luck
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:13 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
my opinion
personly i think this is a recipie for disastor, its bad enough when you book a holiday and get there only to realise that the pictures in the brouchure and discription were more than flattering, at least then its only a few weeks but signing up for six months or more on the info from a realestate agent,
well quite frankly scares me
the safest way IMO would be to book a holiday rental ( we booked one for five weeks as it cut the weekly rent in half ) and have a proper look yourselfs

people on here will recommend places for you and advise against certain places as been shall we say dodgey, but even thats only their opinion and may not fit in with your conception of the "ideal" place to live,

regards steve
Couldn't agree more with you, matey.

rh8463, it seems obvious that the main reason for you wanting to move into rented accommodation straight away, is simply to save a few $$$ that would otherwise be spent on holiday accommodation.

You have to ask yourself, is this small saving really worth the potential pain of living in a dump for 6months?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi Debs and Steve,

Thanks for the advice, you have definitely got me thinking and I will discuss it with my OH tomorrow.

Debs, Im looking for somewhere within cycling distance really, in the hope that we can become a one car family. I appreciate the advice on coffee!

Renshen, I have enquired about several properties just to see what replies I et and so far have had one gone already, one flat refusal unseen, 1 that asked for refs and ID and a weeks rent to hold it and 1 that only wanted confirmation of my job and a weeks rent until we get there.
When are you moving exactly and to what area?
I agree with the areas that Annie has suggested with Biggera Waters and Asmore being much nearer to the campus. Also, Parkwood is within cycling distance. Give me a shout when you get here and I will meet you for a coffee on campus.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Annie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really nice

Originally Posted by debsy
I agree with the areas that Annie has suggested with Biggera Waters and Asmore being much nearer to the campus. Also, Parkwood is within cycling distance. Give me a shout when you get here and I will meet you for a coffee on campus.
Debs, Thanks for pointing out Parkwood, cannot believe I did not mention that one as it is so close to Griffith! I guess the other option is Molendinar but not sure how many one or two bed places there... Anyway, a few more places to consider.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

Really, thankyou so much for the suggestions of locations. Much appreciated. Also, we are taking your advice and renting holiday accommodation for a week when we get there.

Debs, would love to meet for a coffee, I will give you a shout.

Rachel
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi everyone,

Really, thankyou so much for the suggestions of locations. Much appreciated. Also, we are taking your advice and renting holiday accommodation for a week when we get there.

Debs, would love to meet for a coffee, I will give you a shout.

Rachel
Rachel
Have sent you a PM. Have a look at this website, maybe you could email some of the resident managers to find out if they have any rentals coming up and make some appointments to have a look at places when you arrive. There is a search option that you can put in for university, then then just put Griffith, GC Campus.

http://www.seqrents.com.au/

Good Luck.
Debs
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

darren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Annie.R
Debs, Thanks for pointing out Parkwood, cannot believe I did not mention that one as it is so close to Griffith! I guess the other option is Molendinar but not sure how many one or two bed places there... Anyway, a few more places to consider.
Molendinar not bad though I might be bias and there are plenty of 2 bedroom places here, most real estates are ok we used PRD Nationwide who were ok