Going PR from 457

Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going PR from 457

Originally Posted by JAJ
That may be an employer policy but is NOT part of the DIMA rules for ENS.
You're right. It is (was) the policy for the RPH as set out in the pdf link.

Anyone needing to know the DIMA rules for ENS would do well to start here:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill.../ens/index.htm

Mark
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

fjbbq is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Spent quite a few days in the website of immigration, I am still confused about changing my 457 to PR. May I have your help on this?

I am a holder of 457 Visa. My occupation SAP is on the MODL list. I major in international business management and have bachelor's degree. I have been working for 6 years in SAP industry.

So I want to know,
1. After my landing to Australia with 457 visa, can I apply PR through 136 class immediately? (After self-assessment, I think I have more than 120 points for 136 application.)
2. Do I have to leave Australia once the visa is granted?

Regards,
Ricky
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road

hi,
if you meet the criteria for PR136 then you can apply anytime!
You don't even need to come on a temporary visa to start with!
But you will have to leave australia to have your visa validated. DIMMA let you know when they need you to leave and you can go just to NZ if you wanted. You have to attend an Australian immigration office outside of australia with the necesssary paper work and then you can return.
Hope this helps,
Marie
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I wanted people's opinions on the following to make sure I am doing the right thing and understand the other posts on this forum.

I am 34 years old, married with no kids. I work for a big Japanese company that owns an Australian Ltd company. I am HNC qualified mechanical engineer and qualified flour miller (classed as 'Miller' on the points scoring system) in have 7 years with my present employer.

I have been offered a transfer to our Sydney office - initially on a 457 visa. I am a bit worried about the long term plans for the Sydney office that the holding company in Japan may have but want to give it a shot.

In my discussions, I suggest that if I had to leave Oz because the Sydney office closed, they should pay my removal fees and flights home. This is a difficult subject when you are discussing it with somebody who thinks they have a sucessful business and would themselves be out of work if this happend. So they were not very keen on the idea. Now my idea is to get them to sponsor and pay for PR as soon as I can - will this will give us some security if the worst happend.

So some specific questions..

1. If I go in on 457 when is the soonest I can submit the PR forms.

2. What is the soonest PR can be given after the submission of the 457 forms.

3. If the office were to close, but I found a job say working for our competitors and they are prepared to sponsor me, is it realisitic that I could get a valid visa and back to work within the 28 days period of the old 457.

4. Is getting PR before entry to Oz realistic ? They told me because we are a Japanese company investing in Oz, we have a 'reserved allocation' for two overseas workers and currently we are only using one (the Japanese General Manager).

Any other advice based on the above also would be very helpful.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:41 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Hi, I wanted people's opinions on the following to make sure I am doing the right thing and understand the other posts on this forum.

I am 34 years old, married with no kids. I work for a big Japanese company that owns an Australian Ltd company. I am HNC qualified mechanical engineer and qualified flour miller (classed as 'Miller' on the points scoring system) in have 7 years with my present employer.

I have been offered a transfer to our Sydney office - initially on a 457 visa. I am a bit worried about the long term plans for the Sydney office that the holding company in Japan may have but want to give it a shot.

In my discussions, I suggest that if I had to leave Oz because the Sydney office closed, they should pay my removal fees and flights home. This is a difficult subject when you are discussing it with somebody who thinks they have a sucessful business and would themselves be out of work if this happend. So they were not very keen on the idea. Now my idea is to get them to sponsor and pay for PR as soon as I can - will this will give us some security if the worst happend.

So some specific questions..

1. If I go in on 457 when is the soonest I can submit the PR forms.

2. What is the soonest PR can be given after the submission of the 457 forms.

3. If the office were to close, but I found a job say working for our competitors and they are prepared to sponsor me, is it realisitic that I could get a valid visa and back to work within the 28 days period of the old 457.

4. Is getting PR before entry to Oz realistic ? They told me because we are a Japanese company investing in Oz, we have a 'reserved allocation' for two overseas workers and currently we are only using one (the Japanese General Manager).

Any other advice based on the above also would be very helpful.

You would be better starting this as a new thread on the Immigration section.
I think there are too many variables to give specific answers.
I came on a 457 2.5 years ago and got PR a year later (applied after 9 months). The rules have changes since then!
My "deal" with my sponsor that he would pay for the 457 for me and support my application for PR but I would pay for the PR. They know that once you have PR, you can move on!

Sure most will tell you, if you can get PR up fornt, do so!

Andrew
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:10 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road

I would also advise going PR if you can. I wish I could get off my 457 visa, I hate the insecurity and I hate the feeling of being in limbo. I've just found out that I am not eligible for Employer Sponsored as you need 3 years full time work experience immediately prior to sponsorship - Full time = 35 hours pw plus, and despite having 20 years + relevant experience I was working between 23 and 28 pw in the last 5 years.
So I need to clock up 2 years and then be sponsored as a 'special' case
(45+). I've been told this is possible, given my work experience but not definite. I don't want to buy a property on 457 - what happens if you fall out with your employer, need to leave the country and can't sell??

Not all bad news, I get LAFHA and am financially better off on 457 (just)
but if you can get PR, go for it!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:32 am
Just Joined

batrarobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

How does the employer calculates the LAFHA to be given to an employee. Is it decided by Australian Immigration rules ?

I am being paid $65 as rent component and $164 as food component. My salary pay package is $55k excluding LAFHA. I am here in Australia on 457 visa. Any idea, how has these LAFHA components been decided ?

Thanks,
Robin
Old Jul 27th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I have absolutely no idea I'm afraid. DH is on about 97k and gets $1250 LAFHA per month. I think it's just an extra tax-free amount rather than "real" money, iykwim. ie there's $1250 we don't pay tax on each month. He's set to lose it at the end of the year so I'm hoping it doesn't screw us up too much