Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Going home after 10 days, can anyone beat that ?

Wikiposts

Going home after 10 days, can anyone beat that ?

Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:46 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going home after 10 days, can anyone beat that ?

Originally Posted by renth
I try to, especially if we have visitors to Perth for the first time. I even take a detour to the coastal highway for the extra "wow" factor.
Depending on the time I have done that too. When I asked my 87 year old grandad if he wanted to go that way he said "No thanks, I live near Morecambe and see the water all the time" Irish Sea vs Indian Ocean
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:26 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Depending on the time I have done that too. When I asked my 87 year old grandad if he wanted to go that way he said "No thanks, I live near Morecambe and see the water all the time" Irish Sea vs Indian Ocean
Yes but in all fairness he was probably just about holding himself together to get to your house and go for a nice long sleep
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I've been in situations where I know something is crap and feel - righto - let's get out now. .....
You should only really consider migrating to a place you actually like or feel you have a connection with.
Nice in theory, not necessarily the easiest thing to do in practice. You may have been on a reccie, or not depending on finances. You may love the place and choose the suburb on a reccie, get over here permanent and feel you'd actually hate living there. Everyone's different and some people just can't handle the stress of finding an area they do like so find it easier to get back to their comfort zone. No one knows until they've actually done it.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:22 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Everyone's different and some people just can't handle the stress of finding an area they do like so find it easier to get back to their comfort zone. No one knows until they've actually done it.
Bloody hell Pen. Don't go gettin all soft on us for Gods sake
Next you'll be telling us that you are missing Tescos
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by robclaridge
...I'm still stunned and in shock by the bloke who went home 'cause he couldn't earn 200,000 dollars!!!! I don't know too many people on 80,000 dollars! ... So back on track with the thread. Wifey and I moved out to Brisbane 10 years ago.. Went wrong from the start. Could not secure a decent job! (well...any actually). House full of redbacks, garden full of eastern browns and small child constantly in tears hating school.) Ran out of money and came back home after 7 months.

Anyway, knowing we would go back down under (ping pong) as it was 'unfinished business' and something we wanted to do. We took a deep breath, worked BLOODY HARD! to recoup money (and some) Moved out here 10 month ago... and life is absolutly fantastic! Its just that initially I guess it was not at the right time in our lives 10 years ago!
What a story!Talk about perseverence and positive thinking! Well done you!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Bloody hell Pen. Don't go gettin all soft on us for Gods sake
Next you'll be telling us that you are missing Tescos
Don't be bloody silly
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

if i had had my way then i would have gone home after 3 weeks i hated it missed my friends ,my home ,my life.i have never been so lonely

dh was at work the week after we arrived so had no one to talk to the kids played up so i was really unhappy that i was going to book tickets for the flight home dh said give it time and see how you feel ........................

4 months on.............

live in house that is ok not the one that i would buy

all my stuff arrived from uk and nothing was damaged or broken

oldest child started kindy

i am the president of the local primary school p&c

i am i happy oh yes

am i glad that i stayed ???? yes

do i want to go back to the uk now ??? no
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:29 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helena39
The thing that makes me mad is that their PR visa's could have been given to one of us What a waste....

Helena
I wouldnt say a pr visa is given it took us a lot of time and money to get ours, but i do think 10 days is ridiculous after all you go through to get here.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:51 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Don't be bloody silly
Phew!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:00 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bev1
I get scared when i read people hate it as soon as they land Whats the drive like from perth airport , Hope its ok. never been before, not expecting paradise but not expecting crap either????

My husbands told me we've got to give it 2 years before we decide anything
It's horrible. Shut your eyes and only open them when you've reached your destination.

Unless you are the driver of course.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:40 am
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bev1
I get scared when i read people hate it as soon as they land Whats the drive like from perth airport , Hope its ok. never been before, not expecting paradise but not expecting crap either????

My husbands told me we've got to give it 2 years before we decide anything
When we landed we were picked up. My wife was nearly crying on the drive down to Secrets! It is so barren down Honkin then on to Roe and then the Kwinana freeway. She had images of us living out in the bush!

But once we got into civilization, she settled.

six months on, there is NO WAY we are going back to live in Scotland.

The wife is currently back in Scotland evicting the tenants out of our house. At the time when she walked into our house they had wiped £120k off the value. Now it has been emptied, disinfected and cleaned, our property value has risen again. I just have some major repairs to do when I go back in April.

She has been there 6 days, hates the cold, the freezing rain, darkness and she has the cold too.

I feel sorry for the folks that emigrate as it seems like a good thing to do, but with out thoroughly thinking and planning it is bound to go pear shaped.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:15 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kez81
I wouldnt say a pr visa is given it took us a lot of time and money to get ours, but i do think 10 days is ridiculous after all you go through to get here.
Absolutely right, I mean .....10 days! people would stay longer on a holiday. Been here 3 months now and I still feel like I'm on holiday
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:19 pm
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

went on a reccie trip to Melbourne (oh brother lives ther and thats where we intended to settle when we had our visa granted) as the plane touched down on the runway the rain was lashing down....I made the desicion there and then that we would NOT live in Melbourne...I spent 5 days ther looking around and getting a feel for the areas we thought we would like, I didnt feel right.
We ended up moving to Brisbane where we didnt know anybody, we love it here and feel completely at home and have no desires to go back to the UK.
Things might have been so different if we had of migrated to Melbourne...
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shortlets
went on a reccie trip to Melbourne (oh brother lives ther and thats where we intended to settle when we had our visa granted) as the plane touched down on the runway the rain was lashing down....I made the desicion there and then that we would NOT live in Melbourne...I spent 5 days ther looking around and getting a feel for the areas we thought we would like, I didnt feel right.
We ended up moving to Brisbane where we didnt know anybody, we love it here and feel completely at home and have no desires to go back to the UK.
Things might have been so different if we had of migrated to Melbourne...
Hey, you guys have the rain and we're having a drought!!!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:51 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I find it amazing that people can change their mind on such a major decision, after just a month or two !!!

Do they also get divorced after two weeks because they find out that they don't really like their partners? Do they sell up their brand new houses after 3 weeks because they "don't like the feel of it" ?!!

Each to his own I guess !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.