Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Go Back To Where You Came From

Wikiposts

Go Back To Where You Came From

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 5:49 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go Back To Where You Came From

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Aussie film you mean is called 'Lucky Miles' have it on DVD. It is good showing a mixed group of asylum seekers who actually make land up in the remote North West of WA.

Can't see the show doing in any harm. Some seventy odd persons applied for a role, i read.

Thing is the real hard core lot,anti reffos,(and if stretched a little, their view point would more than likely be anti immigrant,especially those of ethnic backgrounds,) will not tune in for the most part,I would think. Preaching to the converted perhaps?
Sorry, 'Lucky Miles'. Poignant with some comedy moments as well.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I caught a bit of an interview with the woman who made this programme (have not seen the actual series) on ABC News 24. Before she started, she was very pro Australia taking in boat people. She is now very much against this as she has seen all the exploitation, hardship etc that these people go through. She is now of the opinion that all asylum seekers should come in through the UN.
Not sure what the woman in question came away with from the show then,
Then the exploitation,hardship etc of the Chin and others from Burma living in Malaysia in very difficult conditions with or without UN given status as refugees.

These folk don't take boats but there resettlement is very slow. All very difficult to come up with a solution.

Doesn't appear any change will come to Burma anytime soon and no one is able/willing to make it happen.
Hence the minorities will continued to be persecuted and folk continue to flee.

Have yet to see the show myself but have recorded all eposodes.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 6:22 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what the woman in question came away with from the show then,
Then the exploitation,hardship etc of the Chin and others from Burma living in Malaysia in very difficult conditions with or without UN given status as refugees.

These folk don't take boats but there resettlement is very slow. All very difficult to come up with a solution.

Doesn't appear any change will come to Burma anytime soon and no one is able/willing to make it happen.
Hence the minorities will continued to be persecuted and folk continue to flee.

Have yet to see the show myself but have recorded all eposodes.
I didn't see the whole interview, but the impression I got was that before, she was dead set that all boat people should be accepted and now she does not. Have not seen the series and have no intention to, so that is the extent of my knowledge in relation to this.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Fear......or a little too much compliance to authority without question. Rather all too common.
I was once asked, by the Moroccan military, to produce my passport, while a soldier pressed a rifle in my ribs. Should I have questioned his authority?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:27 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I was once asked, by the Moroccan military, to produce my passport, while a soldier pressed a rifle in my ribs. Should I have questioned his authority?

Well, it may have been more peaceful for us if you had.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
Well, it may have been more peaceful for us if you had.
Thanks for that.

From what I remember, they were at war with the Western Sahara and everybody had to carry 'papers' with them at all times. As all I had on was a pair of shorts and flip flops and obviously not carrying anything, they were making a point.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Defiant to the last. Should have showed him what is written on the back of a British passport.....that would have put the upstart back in his place.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I caught a bit of an interview with the woman who made this programme (have not seen the actual series) on ABC News 24. Before she started, she was very pro Australia taking in boat people. She is now very much against this as she has seen all the exploitation, hardship etc that these people go through. She is now of the opinion that all asylum seekers should come in through the UN.
Seems strange she should come to that conclusion, i would say by far that most people would make the exact opposite.
It also showed what a complete farce the governments plan to send 800 asylum seekers to Malaysia is. The people there already live in terrible conditions and are under constant threat and that's even when they have official UNHCR papers.
To think that a first world country is even considering this is incredible. Australia is ranked 46 in terms of the intake of refugees per year. Yet we allow over 200,000 migrants to come in. Our politicians tell us what a fabulous economy we have, the envy of the western world and yet we have such a crass narrow minded view/debate about refugees. The amount of people arriving by boat into Australia is tiny and yet the xenophobic debate is massive. The biggest group of asylum seekers arrive in Australia by plane and actually come from our new best friend China (the irony).

I am not saying Australia or any other country should let every refugee in, but those that arrive should be processed on the mainland, treated with dignity and not locked up on some distant remote island at a far greater cost and regarded with the same respect that all people deserve. The liberal Party should be ashamed at the way they use this very sad issue just for political point scoring and the ALP are just as guilty for not have the guts to make a stance.

Shame on Australia.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:12 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Seems strange she should come to that conclusion, i would say by far that most people would make the exact opposite.
It also showed what a complete farce the governments plan to send 800 asylum seekers to Malaysia is. The people there already live in terrible conditions and are under constant threat and that's even when they have official UNHCR papers.
To think that a first world country is even considering this is incredible. Australia is ranked 46 in terms of the intake of refugees per year. Yet we allow over 200,000 migrants to come in. Our politicians tell us what a fabulous economy we have, the envy of the western world and yet we have such a crass narrow minded view/debate about refugees. The amount of people arriving by boat into Australia is tiny and yet the xenophobic debate is massive. The biggest group of asylum seekers arrive in Australia by plane and actually come from our new best friend China (the irony).

I am not saying Australia or any other country should let every refugee in, but those that arrive should be processed on the mainland, treated with dignity and not locked up on some distant remote island at a far greater cost and regarded with the same respect that all people deserve. The liberal Party should be ashamed at the way they use this very sad issue just for political point scoring and the ALP are just as guilty for not have the guts to make a stance.

Shame on Australia.
Well said Papilon. Great post and I couldn't agree more.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Shame on Australia.
Most are just economic migrants that want to jump the queue to Centrelink. They shouldn't be allowed to set one foot in this country.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Most are just economic migrants that want to jump the queue to Centrelink. They shouldn't be allowed to set one foot in this country.
When an asylum seeker arrives in Australia, they do not get any Centrelink benefits. While their status is being processed, and if they meet certain criteria, they can be eligible for financial support from the Asylum Seeker Assistance Scheme, administered through the Red Cross. This amount is 89% of the basic Centrelink allowance. This means approximately $405.84 per fortnight – over $260 less than a pensioner.

To get a permanent residence as a refugee, the person has to prove they are a genuine refugee fleeing persecution, go through character, security and medical tests, and sign an Australian Values Statement.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Jun 24th 2011 at 12:24 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...624-1gjlt.html

Shame the current politicians can't show the same reasoning as this guy.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...624-1gjlt.html

Shame the current politicians can't show the same reasoning as this guy.
Most left wing clap trap, just what you would expect from The Age.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

These people all come from countries where there is no welfare state and are far more capable than you will ever be to stand on there own two feet. We cannot blame them if our governments policy is not to allow them to support themselves and force them to live of subsidy in limbo for many years. Most of these people would be more than happy just to be given the chance to stay and support themselves.

Funny your avatar is of Ned Kelly, the underdog standing up against the big guy.
How many Australians came here fleeing war torn europe?

Most immigrants that come here are economic migrants in one form or another.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Most left wing clap trap, just what you would expect from The Age.
It's not written by an Age jorno, it's what MF said at a speech.

Try reading one of the very early posts with a link to an Age article, sounds like it should be right up your street.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.