Gluten Free

Old Apr 12th 2014, 6:27 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Gluten Free

Originally Posted by quoll
After being told I was intolerant to wheat and dairy I gave them up cold turkey a few years ago - you might want to check out Paleo eating. It basically means a change in the way you eat but you don't need bread or gluten free equivalents at all - fill yourself up with protein, vegetables and fats and you won't feel hungry at all. I now eat some dairy but wheat I can feel almost immediately if I do reintroduce it!

I will say that the changes to my health were almost instant and hugely significant so good luck with your food journey! (And read all the labels! That nasty gluten creeps into all sorts of little crevices!). The other thing is to pay attention to your hunger - is it real stomach gnawing or is it conditioned psychological? There is often a withdrawal period too! Start your day with a high protein breakfast to keep the hunger hormones at bay.
This is good advice, I never felt hungry eating this way and as a bonus felt energised and eventually lost all my excess weight. Carbohydrates are addictive and we are conditioned to think that we need them. Good luck with your "journey" xx
Old Apr 12th 2014, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gluten Free

Into the second week now and I would no longer thing this is a fad at all.

Less inflammation, less bloating, only one medium headache whereas I would normally get 2/3 severe a week, and still despite getting my 2000 cals a day I lost 2lb.

Then I had a messy day, too busy to deal with it all and grabbed one normal wheat sandwich, and ate a biscuit. Stomach bloats up like 6 mos pregnant straight away, literally within 2 hours.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Then I had a messy day, too busy to deal with it all and grabbed one normal wheat sandwich, and ate a biscuit. Stomach bloats up like 6 mos pregnant straight away, literally within 2 hours.
Word of warning. We can both get significant issues when eating gluten now (mine is certain times of the month), including a desperate need for the bathroom on occasions....
Old Apr 12th 2014, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Into the second week now and I would no longer thing this is a fad at all.

Less inflammation, less bloating, only one medium headache whereas I would normally get 2/3 severe a week, and still despite getting my 2000 cals a day I lost 2lb.

Could you share with us an example of a days diet please Jad? I'd be interested to see what kind of things you're eating.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Could you share with us an example of a days diet please Jad? I'd be interested to see what kind of things you're eating.

7am ish Breakfast Grilled bacon, egg, tomato, mushrooms covered in hot sauce. Could add a slice of GF toast.

11 am starving by now, huge salad based meal it used to be a sandwich, now its protein +, salad and one slice gluten free bread so part of it is a open sandwhich so I still try and get that full feel.

2pm I accepted long ago I need 2 lunches, so a home made Soup, grilled veggies with goat cheese, something you can microwave in a tub, like mountain of roasted veg, plus a yogurt and banana if still hungry.

Dinner, lean meat, fish, and mountian of veg, I love mash, spuds or a grain like buckwheat in a salad to bulk it up. My problem is I can eat pro and veg but I need a gran to fill. I also do veggie dishes like lentil curries, veggie lasagne but use eggpant or pumpkin slices instead of pasta.

Snacks, chocolate dates, brazils, walnuts, a hot fresh fruit dessert with Oats and yogurt as a topping.

Glass of red wine 3/4 days a week.

I am 5.3, just above the middle of my healthy weight range and do pilates or yoga 4X a week plus lots of dog walking.

The main change I have had to make is giving up my bread, I have always had a large appetite, and the GF bread is not as delicious or filling as a loaf of freshly baked rye for eg. And without my grain I starve, but there are so many GF grains. Plus you cant use gravy mix etc, have to watch where gluten might sneak in. Its actually not that hard given the benefits.

I cant eat those sugar substitute chemicals, never have been able to, so low fat foods were banned years ago anyway. I also have 4 very large glasses of water a day.

So far so good, but I am concerned about when travelling how on earth you could keep it up. If anyone has any tips on that I would really appreciate it!

Last edited by jad n rich; Apr 12th 2014 at 10:28 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Jad, be careful with oats- they can often be contaminated with grains containing gluten, and themselves contain a substance similar to, but not actually gluten. A lot of coeliacs cannot tolerate them. Cut them out for a bit and then reintroduce them in a controlled way and using ones from the Freedom or Macro range that guarantee they are free from gluten.

For gravy mixes I use Gravox- GF and no MSG either.

just found the most amazing recipe for Quinoa and spiced lemon salad. It was really tasty and satisfying. I had mine without the crumbled feta cheese as I'm not allowed to raise the cholesterol levels. I cooked some diced chicken breast with grated ginger, garlic, coriander, chili and lime juice to go with it instead.

For Quinoa and tomato salad with spiced lemon dressing go to taste.com.au and search under gluten free recipes. It is my favourite place to find inspiration.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips

For gravy mixes I use Gravox- GF and no MSG p:
This I just don't get at all. You are so particular about what you put in your mouth because of your various heath issues but you'd rather use a pile of chemical shit than take five minutes to make proper gravy with stock and GF flour? How does that make sense?
Old Apr 13th 2014, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
This I just don't get at all. You are so particular about what you put in your mouth because of your various heath issues but you'd rather use a pile of chemical shit than take five minutes to make proper gravy with stock and GF flour? How does that make sense?
I find it takes longer to cook the flour out in a proper gravy but that said, i still make my gravy properly as i cant stand the flavour/texture/taste of the instant stuff (never did on the normal stuff either)
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Interesting afternoon, had a piece of birthday cake, looked at it, thinking cant eat that, was OK to walk away, then decided to eat it purposely. To see if there was any reaction.

Stomach right up, sugar and flour combined, body loved that, Obvious visible difference, bloated and tight band like mild pain. I am the first person to suspect something is a FAD but this for me is real. Not imagined, something you can see with a tape measure.

I wonder if (for me) its the chemicals associated with wheat as much as the gluten, I have odd reactions to several chemicals, worst is the propellant in deodorant cans sends me right off, so bad I struggle to get my breath and immediate vile headaches if someone uses on near me. And one of the kids came out in the most hideous red welts, took years to work it out, it was Radiant washing powder.

Last edited by jad n rich; Apr 13th 2014 at 9:28 am.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably because very few people keep a jug of homemade fresh stock in the fridge at all times. Stock cubes etc would be just as bad as gravy powder.
I don't keep it in the fridge. I make several litres at a time, divide it up in to ziplock bags and keep them in the freezer. Stock cubes are disgusting things, worse than chemical gravy.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't keep it in the fridge. I make several litres at a time, divide it up in to ziplock bags and keep them in the freezer. Stock cubes are disgusting things, worse than chemical gravy.
I do chicken soup from scratch a lot, would be easy to freeze some of the stock. Must start doing that
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I make gravy from scratch if I'm doing a roast, and other than that I rarely have gravy, but sometimes it is just handy to have.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

7am ish Breakfast Grilled bacon, egg, tomato, mushrooms covered in hot sauce. Could add a slice of GF toast.

11 am starving by now, huge salad based meal it used to be a sandwich, now its protein +, salad and one slice gluten free bread so part of it is a open sandwhich so I still try and get that full feel.

2pm I accepted long ago I need 2 lunches, so a home made Soup, grilled veggies with goat cheese, something you can microwave in a tub, like mountain of roasted veg, plus a yogurt and banana if still hungry.

Dinner, lean meat, fish, and mountian of veg, I love mash, spuds or a grain like buckwheat in a salad to bulk it up. My problem is I can eat pro and veg but I need a gran to fill. I also do veggie dishes like lentil curries, veggie lasagne but use eggpant or pumpkin slices instead of pasta.

Snacks, chocolate dates, brazils, walnuts, a hot fresh fruit dessert with Oats and yogurt as a topping.

Glass of red wine 3/4 days a week.

I am 5.3, just above the middle of my healthy weight range and do pilates or yoga 4X a week plus lots of dog walking.

The main change I have had to make is giving up my bread, I have always had a large appetite, and the GF bread is not as delicious or filling as a loaf of freshly baked rye for eg. And without my grain I starve, but there are so many GF grains. Plus you cant use gravy mix etc, have to watch where gluten might sneak in. Its actually not that hard given the benefits.

I cant eat those sugar substitute chemicals, never have been able to, so low fat foods were banned years ago anyway. I also have 4 very large glasses of water a day.

So far so good, but I am concerned about when travelling how on earth you could keep it up. If anyone has any tips on that I would really appreciate it!

It sounds delicious but hard going I bet.

As for travelling, especially for all the long distance road trips you do I think it would have to be a case of calling in the services and grabbing ready made salad and fruit bowls and hoping some places stock GF snacks in.....
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle

It sounds delicious but hard going I bet.
Its been bloody torture today, I wanted a piece of toast, after 2 weeks of the weird GF bread I craved a piece of crusty fresh bread. It started at 2am, I never eat in the night, never, but I would have ripped off someones arm for a slice of hot buttery real toast, after an hour or so I caved in and for the first time in my life became a moonlight fridge raider.

Compounding that I hadnt got to sleep till almost midnight anyway, going gluten free seems to mean you are eye poppin wide awake, needing far less sleep, sounds great but I like my sleep

So I am going from wide awake, headache free health freak to having ridiculous cravings for toast.

After the toast I felt really tired and slept so well I got up an hour late.

As I have to stick to this, to keep me motivated I have looked into the chemicals in wheat. From seed to storage its saturated in chemicals many of which you recognize from weed killers and pest control in the garden shed.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Its been bloody torture today, I wanted a piece of toast, after 2 weeks of the weird GF bread I craved a piece of crusty fresh bread. It started at 2am, I never eat in the night, never, but I would have ripped off someones arm for a slice of hot buttery real toast, after an hour or so I caved in and for the first time in my life became a moonlight fridge raider.

Compounding that I hadnt got to sleep till almost midnight anyway, going gluten free seems to mean you are eye poppin wide awake, needing far less sleep, sounds great but I like my sleep

So I am going from wide awake, headache free health freak to having ridiculous cravings for toast.

After the toast I felt really tired and slept so well I got up an hour late.

As I have to stick to this, to keep me motivated I have looked into the chemicals in wheat. From seed to storage its saturated in chemicals many of which you recognize from weed killers and pest control in the garden shed.

My dads got a book somewhere which explains why humans should never eat wheat because of all the digestive problems and allergic reactions it can cause.
It's a really good book and as you're reading it you realise what the author is saying makes complete sense but actually putting it into practice is a different story, especially for someone like me who loves bread. It's bloody tough!

I tried to give up flour for lent and that was SO hard!

I really would love to be able to eat gluten and wheat free but not because a doctor has told me I have to but because I know it makes sense to.
I've read so much about the benefits of doing so and after reading how you've felt since giving up gluten it's made me want to do it even more.

I think a major key in a successful GF diet apart from having the will to do it, is organisation.

I am going to try it, but starting slowly, firstly by not eating as much bread, then by eventually replacing it with something else. And then see how I get on from there.

Keep up the good work lass! I'm enjoying the read.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.