Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Giving stuff to charity?

Giving stuff to charity?

Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Giving stuff to charity?

Well ive just been sorting out all our stuff that we are taking and all the stuff to be sold at carboot etc, but i was wondering if anyone knew of any charities that would accept furniture and house stuff. I was just going to skip it all but would rather give it to someone that could make use out of it. Just dont know where to start.

Anyone got any idea so i can start phoning about tomorrow?
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving stuff to charity?

Originally Posted by angel17796
Well ive just been sorting out all our stuff that we are taking and all the stuff to be sold at carboot etc, but i was wondering if anyone knew of any charities that would accept furniture and house stuff. I was just going to skip it all but would rather give it to someone that could make use out of it. Just dont know where to start.

it might be an idea to phone your local council, ours used to have a furniture scheme and they even used to come and collect it
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.
I have contacted a hostel for the homeless which takes allsorts. They will be really grateful for anything and they collected too.

Old Mar 5th 2006, 7:10 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Your local council should be able to give you a phone number of a company that will come and take your stuff away for free,they go on to sell to the poor for a small profit.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Try either Salvation Army or St. Vincent de Paul. Both run charity shops and would be able to sell the stuff. Alternately, see if there is a youth club in your area that is looking for things. They have youth clubs in our area and are desperate for furnishings for the place.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of these charities and council schemes where you hand over furniture and they pass it on the needy, have to, by law, only accept stuff that has all the fire regulation stuff on it. If it's old and has no fire label they won't touch it.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the suggestions. Im going to try and phone the local council and see if they will collect it. Luckily the couch etc has the fire tags on it so hopefully someone will get good use out of it.

Cheers everyone
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Try the yellow pages under 'Charities'. I found one lot would even take electricals!