Giving birth in OZ

Old May 20th 2008, 11:41 am
Just Joined

pearldiver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Giving birth in OZ

Does anyone know if giving birth is free for newly arrived PR visa holders in OZ?
Old May 21st 2008, 2:27 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Giving birth in OZ

Originally Posted by pearldiver
Does anyone know if giving birth is free for newly arrived PR visa holders in OZ?
Yes - as you will be covered under medicare (assuming you get your Medicare paperwork sorted out - usually something you do in the first weeks of arrival)
Old May 21st 2008, 2:28 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pearldiver
The birth is the easy and free bit...
Old May 21st 2008, 2:47 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

And you will get the Baby Bonus (is it $4k or $5k ?) - in fact, I believe you will get it as long as the baby arrives in Aus before it is 13wks old
Old May 21st 2008, 2:52 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 22B
And you will get the Baby Bonus (is it $4k or $5k ?) - in fact, I believe you will get it as long as the baby arrives in Aus before it is 13wks old
And the baby comes out anti clockwise due to the gravitational pull.

Old May 21st 2008, 2:59 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom

And feet first, being upside down an' all.

I've even heard reports that some come out wearing boardies.
Old May 21st 2008, 3:01 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 22B
And feet first, being upside down an' all.

I've even heard reports that some come out wearing boardies.
...holding a stubby. (And that's just the girls)
Old May 21st 2008, 3:02 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 22B

$4,133 until Jan 1st (non means tested), at which point it becomes 5k, but then subject to means test.

I don't think the bit about the 13 weeks is quite right though...
"You must register your child's birth with the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in your state or territory to be eligible for Baby Bonus."

From http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...l_how_maty.htm

Last edited by @boy; May 21st 2008 at 3:04 am.
Old May 21st 2008, 3:16 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by @boy
I don't think the bit about the 13 weeks is quite right though...
"You must register your child's birth with the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in your state or territory to be eligible for Baby Bonus."

From http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...l_how_maty.htm

I dunno ? - we arrived when boy was 14wks and were told 'oh, if only you'd arrived last week'. Either way, they weren't gonna give me the dosh, so I lost interest.

But - back to the OP - as a PR holder you will also be immediately eligible for Family Tax Benefit (the rough equivalent of Child Benefit, but much heftier). This comes in two parts (A and B) - one is a flat rate if one parent is stay-at-home, the other is means tested on the other parent's income (or something like that). See your Family Assistance Office to get forms and help/advice.

When we arrived, the first thing we did was buy a car, second was get Driver Licences (you often need ID here so it makes sense) and the third was get down to the Medicare / Family Assistance Office - and I think that was pretty spot on.
Old May 21st 2008, 7:20 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom

Have a look and tell us if the umbilicle chord really does twist the other way too

You may have to pay for a pouch to be installed, not covered by medicare I don't think