Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Give the laptop a drink...

Give the laptop a drink...

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:11 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Give the laptop a drink...

Prize prick that I am, I poured a nearly full glass of JD and coke all over my lovely Sony Vaio laptop the other night. I quickly grabbed it, turned it upside down and let it drain over a towel (pausing only briefly to power the poor thing off). We left it there, above the aircon, until the next morning. I Googled on my dad's PC for 'spilt PC on the laptop' and turned up a never-ending succession of horror stories, none of which had a happy ending. Travel insurance had a 400 quid maximum on single items, so we were resigned to being about 600 quid out of pocket on getting a replacement.

Next day I turn it over to inspect the damage. Seems okay - do what every single bod on the .net advised against - turning it on. Hear the cheery Vaio startup jingle - powers up from hibernate no problem - can hear the keyboard buffer filling up, realise the keyboard's probably been mullered. Open up Notepad to see which letters it's repeating on - power it down and prize the keys off. It looked like about five keys had got the main splash, but with the keys off I can see that the keyboard unit is relatively self-contained (that undoubtedly saved the day). Spent the next four hours taking this mind-boggling intricate little rocker mechanisms off and clean up the little gell bobble underneath each. Left it with Notepad open again - no repeat key presses. Used it all night and then yesterday and today and it's working perfectly.

Several morals I've learnt from this that I'd like to share so you can learn from my pratishness. 1) If you're going to drink near your laptop - make it a diet drink (no sugar - very little gunky residue). 2) Depending on the design of the laptop, the chances of your PC surviving a bath are very small indeed. 3) Laptops generally have smallish hard drives - buy yourself a nice external USB or Firewire harddrive and save all your 'stuff' on there, leaving the precious internal hard drive space for important things like programs and swap files. 4) Never say "Well, 2005 was pretty shite, let's hope this year turns out to be a bit better", before settling down at your laptop with a JD and coke.

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:18 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Re: Give the laptop a drink...

You Prize Prick...you!!

Originally Posted by Hutch
Prize prick that I am, I poured a nearly full glass of JD and coke all over my lovely Sony Vaio laptop the other night. I quickly grabbed it, turned it upside down and let it drain over a towel (pausing only briefly to power the poor thing off). We left it there, above the aircon, until the next morning. I Googled on my dad's PC for 'spilt PC on the laptop' and turned up a never-ending succession of horror stories, none of which had a happy ending. Travel insurance had a 400 quid maximum on single items, so we were resigned to being about 600 quid out of pocket on getting a replacement.

Next day I turn it over to inspect the damage. Seems okay - do what every single bod on the .net advised against - turning it on. Hear the cheery Vaio startup jingle - powers up from hibernate no problem - can hear the keyboard buffer filling up, realise the keyboard's probably been mullered. Open up Notepad to see which letters it's repeating on - power it down and prize the keys off. It looked like about five keys had got the main splash, but with the keys off I can see that the keyboard unit is relatively self-contained (that undoubtedly saved the day). Spent the next four hours taking this mind-boggling intricate little rocker mechanisms off and clean up the little gell bobble underneath each. Left it with Notepad open again - no repeat key presses. Used it all night and then yesterday and today and it's working perfectly.

Several morals I've learnt from this that I'd like to share so you can learn from my pratishness. 1) If you're going to drink near your laptop - make it a diet drink (no sugar - very little gunky residue). 2) Depending on the design of the laptop, the chances of your PC surviving a bath are very small indeed. 3) Laptops generally have smallish hard drives - buy yourself a nice external USB or Firewire harddrive and save all your 'stuff' on there, leaving the precious internal hard drive space for important things like programs and swap files. 4) Never say "Well, 2005 was pretty shite, let's hope this year turns out to be a bit better", before settling down at your laptop with a JD and coke.

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:20 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Give the laptop a drink...

Hmmm at my last job I made a habit of continually pouring orange juice into my laptop and deskphone - they always worked again but after a while I couldn't dial phone numbers with a "7" in them!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

I am impressed I poured tea over my computer printer at work once and fried the circuit board
Nicky
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:50 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

...the main reason why i always used a USB mouse, keyboard and a second monitor when i use the laptop at home...... obviously not while it's on my lap

good story though!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 10:42 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhhhhhhhh did nearly the same thing with my COMPAQ a couple months ago....did all the same things as you at first....but then hubby sprayed a whole can of switch cleaner into the keyboard and apart from a couple of sticky keys...its fine!!

A mechanic is handy for so many reasons!!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 9:37 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
Ahhhhhhhhh did nearly the same thing with my COMPAQ a couple months ago....did all the same things as you at first....but then hubby sprayed a whole can of switch cleaner into the keyboard and apart from a couple of sticky keys...its fine!!

A mechanic is handy for so many reasons!!
Probably a wise move. The little rocker mechanism under those keys is a right bastard to remove and refit! Saved myself a 200 quid repair bill at an official Sony centre though
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I'm glad it turned out ok and that I am not the only one who has done that. Yesterday I poured part of a glass of water I was drinking on my computer keyboard. I turned it upside down but none came back. I spent the next few mins typing with a plastic pen (so I didn't get electrocuted ) Happily it is still working fine.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I spent the next few mins typing with a plastic pen (so I didn't get electrocuted ) Happily it is still working fine.

Lol, god don't you just love women.

Post of the day.

Glad all is well Katie.

Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

ndbarrett is a jewel in the roughndbarrett is a jewel in the roughndbarrett is a jewel in the roughndbarrett is a jewel in the roughndbarrett is a jewel in the rough

Dont have any link to the story but i remember from my flight training days that a spilt coffee has actually caused a 747 to crash, resulting in boeing having to make modifications since the pilots actions in this case were common in the industry.
Flight attendant brings coffee to the flight crew and is ushered to put it on a console by the flight instruments. It wasnt one act that casued the accident but years of the same thing. Drips of coffee from a slurped cup had made their way into the switches of some flight controls until one day, the sticky goo made history.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:56 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by ndbarrett
Dont have any link to the story but i remember from my flight training days that a spilt coffee has actually caused a 747 to crash, resulting in boeing having to make modifications since the pilots actions in this case were common in the industry.
Flight attendant brings coffee to the flight crew and is ushered to put it on a console by the flight instruments. It wasnt one act that casued the accident but years of the same thing. Drips of coffee from a slurped cup had made their way into the switches of some flight controls until one day, the sticky goo made history.
Ouch. And with more computerisation there will only be more chances for this sort of thing to happen.