Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Gerry Harvey won't be happy.....

Gerry Harvey won't be happy.....

Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gerry Harvey won't be happy.....

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
Which article were you reading?

Cheers

LG
Have a look at JL's website
Old Jul 27th 2011, 2:08 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Where did I say anything about the carbon tax?
you didnt i was refering to your quote

"It would be election suicide for any government that introduced it".

i merely suggested that they do indeed try to put taxes in place that are detrimental to there own parties election possiblities ie the carbon tax

regards steve
Old Jul 27th 2011, 2:15 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gerry's made his money with rip off prices -now, move aside.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 2:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
you didnt i was refering to your quote

"It would be election suicide for any government that introduced it".

i merely suggested that they do indeed try to put taxes in place that are detrimental to there own parties election possiblities ie the carbon tax

regards steve
fair enough
Old Jul 27th 2011, 2:29 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancastrian48
Gerry's made his money with rip off prices -now, move aside.
To be fair, it's not just that Australian retailers are incompetent, unresponsive and living with business models from the 1970s. It's also that Australian manufacturers translate "made in australia" to "bend over and smile"; and international distributors take the lead to overprice imports relative to their prices in other markets.

It's really somewhere that government should step in. Not to impose import taxes, but to hammer any company that inflates its Australian price more than 15% from that in another markets; and to slap idiots like Harvey upside the head and tell him to be less crap.

If you can have anti-dumping taxes, you can have anti-ripoff taxes.

And you can issue a yearly grading for Australian retail business, a report card that says "poor choice, poor customer service, not up to scratch". That should get Gerry's attention...
Old Jul 27th 2011, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the major issues with retail here which often doesn't get enough press coverage is shop rental. Rents here are punative compared to other locations overseas and the whole process is bent towards 'anchor tenants' of big shopping malls such as Myers, DJ, Coles etc. That directly affects the prices charged.

Mind you that still doesn't fully explain the usual stunningly poor customer service you find here and massive markups added onto imported goods.

p.s. There is a place in I go to buy tooling. Normally on a Saturday morning it's full of people being served by the usual sullen old b***ards at the counter. Last week it was deserted and the staff were considerably nicer and more helpful than usual.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:13 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
One of the major issues with retail here which often doesn't get enough press coverage is shop rental. Rents here are punative compared to other locations overseas and the whole process is bent towards 'anchor tenants' of big shopping malls such as Myers, DJ, Coles etc. That directly affects the prices charged.

Mind you that still doesn't fully explain the usual stunningly poor customer service you find here and massive markups added onto imported goods.

p.s. There is a place in I go to buy tooling. Normally on a Saturday morning it's full of people being served by the usual sullen old b***ards at the counter. Last week it was deserted and the staff were considerably nicer and more helpful than usual.
In the last two weeks I've had a washing machine delivered that was DOA... rang Bing Lee, new washer arrived within three hours, no questions asked.
I also had a Scanpan frying pan that had the non-stick start to come off near the rivets that hold the handle on... rang the customer service line, told "sounds like a manufacturing fault, send it back and here's the reply paid freepost number. New one is in the post". So credit where credits due...
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

The other thing to remember about the UK is that just walking into stores like Currys, PC World, John Lewis etc and buying without comparing prices with the internet, is going to see you paying more as these kind of stores can be a rip-off too.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing to remember about the UK is that just walking into stores like Currys, PC World, John Lewis etc and buying without comparing prices with the internet, is going to see you paying more as these kind of stores can be a rip-off too.
i forget, is haggling the norm in places like that, in the UK?
In Bing Lee you can often knock them down quite a bit, and fairly easily.

However I only have vague memories of someone once knocking a tenner off a stereo ages ago, he couldnt do any more because he insisted we wre robbing him blind anyway.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:39 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by In Exile

However I only have vague memories of someone once knocking a tenner off a stereo ages ago, he couldnt do any more because he insisted we wre robbing him blind anyway.
I've certainly haggled in places like Comet and got a reasonable amount off, but realistically you are probably only knocking them down to prices that they charge in the 'sales'.... and it's not as easy to do as it is over here, where the sales guys all expect it.

I've also remembered when my wife bought an outfit in John Lewis, only to see it 100 quid cheaper in their sale two weeks later. She mentioned it to the sales girl and they gave her the difference back !

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jul 27th 2011 at 6:41 am.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

I don't think haggling is the done thing in the UK, although this may have changed since the downturn over there.

I went into a PC World store over there last year and saw little that was cheaper than somewhere like JB, but then it always was a mega rip-off chain.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:42 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
In the last two weeks I've had a washing machine delivered that was DOA... rang Bing Lee, new washer arrived within three hours, no questions asked.
I also had a Scanpan frying pan that had the non-stick start to come off near the rivets that hold the handle on... rang the customer service line, told "sounds like a manufacturing fault, send it back and here's the reply paid freepost number. New one is in the post". So credit where credits due...
I ordered something online from an Australian company, paid extra for 'next day delivery'.

It turned up a week and a day later...
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

I went into a PC World store over there last year and saw little that was cheaper than somewhere like JB, but then it always was a mega rip-off chain.
tottenham court road in London, on the other hand, was an absolute gem for PC's both pre-made and and build your own.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

tottenham court road in London, on the other hand, was an absolute gem for PC's both pre-made and and build your own.
I went there last year and it's not as good as it used to be - probably due to the internet. I did buy some stuff and got a good price (and VAT back) but if you live in the UK, internet is the way to go.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

I went there last year and it's not as good as it used to be - probably due to the internet. I did buy some stuff and got a good price (and VAT back) but if you live in the UK, internet is the way to go.
thats a shame. I would regularly upgrade PCs, particulallry the graphics cards, and they would generally match net prices. (2004-2007 era)

I've only found a couple of stores similar to those on TCR in central Sydney and there's literally only ever one shop in any area!
Kind of takes away the competetive advantage of haggling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.