Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Gardening Tools - a world of mystery to me!

Gardening Tools - a world of mystery to me!

Old Jul 25th 2015, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardening Tools - a world of mystery to me!

I thoroughly recommend 4 stroke over 2 stroke. I never buy 2 stroke and am converting everything to 4.

The Aussie conditions thing can also reflect established companies over chinese tat.

Some of the grasses are tough if you are slashing - some of the ride-on mowers are lawn manicurers.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 5:45 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Well the local shop for local people wasn't open - it seems to be more of a Monday to friday and first thing saturday morning sort of operation, so I ventured into Bunnings. I didn't pick a good day for it, the guy who was supervising the lawn mower type area was just standing in for it and declared quite honestly that he didn't have a clue apart from pricing and stock levels. Lovely chap though. So with my great knowledge of lawn mowers I nearly bought a Victa - and yes because it was blue. But I did realise that this wasn't my best logic and I perhaps should talk to someone who knows .... so I came away empty handed. Although, I did buy a step ladder as the house has high ceilings and i can't reach the fans to clean them - I love my step ladder, it's superbly sturdy and reassuring. But did you know, step-ladders don't help when it comes to mowing lawns? Who'd have thought it eh?!?
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:04 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
Well the local shop for local people wasn't open - it seems to be more of a Monday to friday and first thing saturday morning sort of operation, so I ventured into Bunnings. I didn't pick a good day for it, the guy who was supervising the lawn mower type area was just standing in for it and declared quite honestly that he didn't have a clue apart from pricing and stock levels. Lovely chap though. So with my great knowledge of lawn mowers I nearly bought a Victa - and yes because it was blue. But I did realise that this wasn't my best logic and I perhaps should talk to someone who knows .... so I came away empty handed. Although, I did buy a step ladder as the house has high ceilings and i can't reach the fans to clean them - I love my step ladder, it's superbly sturdy and reassuring. But did you know, step-ladders don't help when it comes to mowing lawns? Who'd have thought it eh?!?
Get a Honda, not a Victa. It will be quite a bit more expensive but it will last many years, unlike the Victa.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:42 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Get a Honda, not a Victa. It will be quite a bit more expensive but it will last many years, unlike the Victa.
See now I thought Victa's were OK because I'd heard of them ... it was probably people saying "Don't buy a Victa, they're crap" .... and I just remember the Victa bit I shall make a note of this - look at Honda.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

So with my great knowledge of lawn mowers I nearly bought a Victa - and yes because it was blue. But I did realise that this wasn't my best logic and I perhaps should talk to someone who knows .... so I came away empty handed.
Typical "it's aussie for aussie conditions, oh and it costs 3 times what it should" item. Also petrol.

Make a list of what capabilities you need. Does it:
  • Need to pick up the cuttings?
  • Need to cut through tree trunks?
  • Need to put strips in the 'lawn'?
  • Need to not cost a bomb?
  • Need to be cordless?
  • Need to be easy to move?
then measure up the alternatives. Personally I'd doubt that petrol is going to be either a good idea, or needed for you. They tend to need attention to keep them going well and you don't sound all that mechanical. I'd also assume that something that was easy to use might well get more use than something that's a pig.

Oh, and if you've let it get a foot high, you will need a strimmer to get it down to a reasonable level before a mower will touch it.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 9:54 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We only have one flower bed and that's all ok - it's just the lawn ... and it's got that spikey long spindly grass stuff with the bits that get stuck in your clothes all through it, it's a pain in the butt! Our lawn isn't at all level so no idea if that's going to be a problem!

Thanks for your thoughts though. What's a good weed in the grass killer? I really am hopeless
Concrete kills grass, looks nice & never needs mowing............................
Old Jul 27th 2015, 11:07 am
Feeble Minded

Originally Posted by cresta57
Concrete kills grass, looks nice & never needs mowing............................
Not my garden and I think the owner, real estate people might object
Old Jul 27th 2015, 9:43 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a large lawn, petrol might be the way to go or you will be fighting with extension cords and the risk of cutting through them with the mower. If you have a steeply sloping lawn, 2 stroke is better than 4 stroke, because a 4 stroke has an oil sump and if pointing the wrong way on the hill oil may not be pumped around the engine properly as it sloshes around in the bottom. 2 strokes don't have a sump so not an issue, as oil is mixed with the petrol. ( sump = oil tank in the bottom where oil is sucked up from and pumped around the engine to lubricate its moving parts )

Some mowers are self propelled, which means the engine also drives the wheels so that you don't have to push it as hard. Waste of time and money unless you have a huge lawn.

Also how big the grass catcher/container is, or does it have one at all. if it's too small you will be for ever stopping to empty it, too big and its too heavy to lift off to empty. None at all and in summer you will be knee deep in grass clippings which turn brown and look messy.

One last thought - as you have a dog. Flymow type mowers will splatter the dog shit for miles around, whilst other mowers mash it up and send some into the grass collector. Dog shit splattered up your legs is not a good look.

Faced with all the above, I decided to get a man in and for $40 he does it as required.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 11:20 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 27th 2015, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
If you have a large lawn, petrol might be the way to go or you will be fighting with extension cords and the risk of cutting through them with the mower. If you have a steeply sloping lawn, 2 stroke is better than 4 stroke, because a 4 stroke has an oil sump and if pointing the wrong way on the hill oil may not be pumped around the engine properly as it sloshes around in the bottom. 2 strokes don't have a sump so not an issue, as oil is mixed with the petrol. ( sump = oil tank in the bottom where oil is sucked up from and pumped around the engine to lubricate its moving parts )

Some mowers are self propelled, which means the engine also drives the wheels so that you don't have to push it as hard. Waste of time and money unless you have a huge lawn.

Also how big the grass catcher/container is, or does it have one at all. if it's too small you will be for ever stopping to empty it, too big and its too heavy to lift off to empty. None at all and in summer you will be knee deep in grass clippings which turn brown and look messy.

One last thought - as you have a dog. Flymow type mowers will splatter the dog shit for miles around, whilst other mowers mash it up and send some into the grass collector. Dog shit splattered up your legs is not a good look.

Faced with all the above, I decided to get a man in and for $40 he does it as required.
My 4 stroke was fine on a slope and it has needed no attention : One oil change in 10 years starts first time. I used to use it for slashing through scrub so the handle has almost parted company with deck due to the stresses I put on it and it has almost rusted out. So need to stay clear of Chinese. Engine would last 20 years.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 12:46 am
Feeble Minded

@ the spattering dog crap - that's a very good point!

Well I bit the bullet today and went into the local shop for local people and the guy was really nice and helpful and not at all patronising. He gave me the idiots guide to using a mower - set it up, put the oil and petrol in for me and sent me on my merry way, disappointingly I did have to pay for the mower, but you can't have everything! He gave me money off too so I felt as if it was a bargain even if it wasn't

It's a Rover something or other 4 stroke thing with a safety cut out thing and it all seems quite splendid. I shall love it dearly probably until the point at which I use it this afternoon when it shall undoubtedly become that bastard machine from hell It's red incidentally so you can tell I took advice and didn't just go with colour preference

I've decided against a whipper snipper today - one new piece of machinery is enough for me to deal with - I'll go old school and use shears to edge the lawn this time and might invest in a whipper snipper at another point when I feel brave.

Thanks for all the help and advice - you gave me stuff to think about and made me laugh too, so it's all great!

@ paulry and the Garfield, I like your thinking!
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default op Re: Gardening Tools - a world of mystery to me!

@ the spattering dog crap - that's a very good point!

Well I bit the bullet today and went into the local shop for local people and the guy was really nice and helpful and not at all patronising. He gave me the idiots guide to using a mower - set it up, put the oil and petrol in for me and sent me on my merry way, disappointingly I did have to pay for the mower, but you can't have everything! He gave me money off too so I felt as if it was a bargain even if it wasn't

It's a Rover something or other 4 stroke thing with a safety cut out thing and it all seems quite splendid. I shall love it dearly probably until the point at which I use it this afternoon when it shall undoubtedly become that bastard machine from hell It's red incidentally so you can tell I took advice and didn't just go with colour preference

I've decided against a whipper snipper today - one new piece of machinery is enough for me to deal with - I'll go old school and use shears to edge the lawn this time and might invest in a whipper snipper at another point when I feel brave.

Thanks for all the help and advice - you gave me stuff to think about and made me laugh too, so it's all great!

@ paulry and the Garfield, I like your thinking!
Whippersnippers are a pain...well avoided! I often use shears around the edges..
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:00 am
Feeble Minded

Default Re: op Re: Gardening Tools - a world of mystery to me!

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Whippersnippers are a pain...well avoided! I often use shears around the edges..
I couldn't see any long handled shears today - maybe I was being blind. At least the lawn looks mainly ok - don't think I did a bad job for a first go - will have another go in a couple of weeks and see if I can improve upon it! Meanwhile I'll have to go hunting shears, but the garden will have to look raggedy round the edges for another week til I get my next day off.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:58 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

+1
Old Jul 28th 2015, 10:21 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a 4 stroke Honda brushcutter for about 12 years so far it's been back to the local dealer twice for minor problems other than that it's damn near bullet proof. I seriously abuse it with the blade fitted & can cut back the regrowth saplings up to about 30mm diameter. Excellent for firebreaks around the block. With the whippersnipper head fitted it does the culverts & the areas I can't access with the mower.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.