Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Funerals and children

Funerals and children

Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:30 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funerals and children

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Thank you everyone for your support, this past fortnight has been like a form of torture, seeing the sparkle disappear slowly from my granda.

My parents are trying to sort the funeral out as my granma is in no fit state, she still had not accepted that he was dying.

AS the eldest of all the grandchildren ive been asked to do a reading and i know that is going to be so hard to do . But it will also be an honour.
Unfortunatly my husband can not get home for the funeral.

To all of you a big thank you for advice and support, it has helped an emotinal wreck feel a little stronger.
Mandy
Mandy that must have been so sad and heartbreaking for you seeing the sparkle slowly disappear. Let the sparkle live on in your heart chick.

Take care

Love Kath xxx
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:32 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
Mandy deepest sympathy to you & your family. My Grandad died suddenly Sat lunchtime, he had parkinsons & i too am relieved his suffering is now over. My children will not be attending the funeral basicially cos of teh cost of getting us all from NZ to UK, so i will travel alone. My kids now 5 & 3 have attended family funerals before teh last being when my nan died in july last yr, i found that having them there gave me great strength, & my nan would have been pleased that they were there. My kids now understand that i have too go to GG (gt grandad) funeral to say goodbye, & that yes i will be sad, but i'll return home to be mummy again. (quite how i'm going to cope with them & hubby not there & with jet lag i'm not sure )
good luck with the reading your grandad would be proud. My mums friend died last year, & her granddaughter read poems & reading out , they were 8 , 12,& 14 . they were fantastic, they just made me sob , cos i know i couldn't have done what they did.
take care, thinking of you xx

Sincere condolences to you Poppets, I don't envy you that journey on your own.

Take care

Kath xx
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for your support, this past fortnight has been like a form of torture, seeing the sparkle disappear slowly from my granda.

My parents are trying to sort the funeral out as my granma is in no fit state, she still had not accepted that he was dying.

AS the eldest of all the grandchildren ive been asked to do a reading and i know that is going to be so hard to do . But it will also be an honour.
Unfortunatly my husband can not get home for the funeral.

To all of you a big thank you for advice and support, it has helped an emotinal wreck feel a little stronger.
Mandy
So sorry for your loss Mandy, especially hard for you knowing it was coming My Gran who died earlier this year would have been 95 last week, when we went to the crem on her birthday, there were lots of windchimes people had hung up in the garden of rememberance. I thought this was a lovely thing to do, so maybe you could take your children to choose one they think he would have liked and hang it somewhere nice.
Niki x
Old Nov 27th 2006, 2:08 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

My granda died peacefully on Fri.Im sort of relieved that his suffering is over, but feel guilty for feeling this way.
Mandy
so sorry to hear your news Mandy, please dont feel guilty no one wants a loved one to suffer. Take care and sending you lots of strength for the funeral
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:30 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

I had rather sad news that my granda has not got long left .

i havent told my children yet. They are 8,6 and 4 and so far have not managed to tell the boys the their great granda is dying.

Now i know i will be going to the funeral when the time comes. Possibly with out my husband as he may not be able to have time off from the army.

As this is the first time ive been in this situation, im not sure whether my boys should go to the funeral.

Ive had a sleepless night trying to decide what i should do when the time comes.
I know this is an emotinal time for any one but how have other people coped with taking children to funerals.

My boys know their great granda but just dont have a special bond with him, the way they do with their grandparents.

My husband thinks the boys are too young to underestand about funerals.
Mandy
From my experience ( lost all of my grandparents, Great and not so great)......I wouldn't bother taking them! If they're not close, why put them through it, they're prob a bit too young to understand what it's all about!

I was a similar age to ALL of your kids when losing mine, understood that they had died, but had not desire to sit in a church saying goodbye to someone I hardly knew, or to be honest, cared about!
Old Nov 29th 2006, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Tomorrow is the funeral and im certainly not looking forward to it.
My eldest son is going to come with me, but the other 2 will remain in school.
Ive got a reading prepared i just hope i manage to do him proud.
The kids have suprised me on how well they have coped far better than me .
Once again thank you for support, karma and the messages. They have helped .
Mandy
Old Nov 29th 2006, 5:23 pm

Mandy
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow Mandy, I hope it all goes as well as can be expected for a funeral.

Glad the kids are coping well

Kxx
Old Nov 29th 2006, 5:24 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

My granda died peacefully on Fri.Im sort of relieved that his suffering is over, but feel guilty for feeling this way.
Mandy

Only just found this thread Mandy. So sorry to hear it. I hope your OK babe. E-mail me if you want a chat.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 5:38 pm

Mandy
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow Mandy, I am sure you will do him proud no matter what you say
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone, for your support.

The funeral went off as well as they can do . Im sure granda would have been happy.
My 8 year old son came with me and was really good. He has been very quiet today but hasn't seem outwoodly upset.
Ive had a few drinks tonight but feel ok.

RIP Granda
Mandy
Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

The funeral went off as well as they can do . Im sure granda would have been happy.
My 8 year old son came with me and was really good. He has been very quiet today but hasn't seem outwoodly upset.

RIP Granda
Mandy
hope you are all well, you know where i am if you want to moan about anything mandy.

Deb
Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:04 pm

RIP Granda
Mandy
glad it all went well Mandy, here's to your Granda
Old Dec 1st 2006, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad that the funeral went off OK. It is hard to know what to say really as each person deals with things in their own way. I hope that things start to settle again now and you are able to remember him without thinking too much about the past few weeks.
Nicky xx
Old Dec 1st 2006, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy

In my thoughs

regards

lolly
Old Dec 1st 2006, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by possoms
glad it all went well Mandy, here's to your Granda
Ditto that Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.