Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Fuel saving tips........

Wikiposts

Fuel saving tips........

Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fuel saving tips........

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
loads of garages around us have been putting up new price boards (ones that will take the value 100.0) so i guess it is just a matter of time before it hits the pound mark here.

T
how long before the even newer price boards go up that can take 1,000.0 ?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:53 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
how long before the even newer price boards go up that can take 1,000.0 ?
don't even joke about it
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:06 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

UK diesel 98p per litre
my currency converter tells me this is A$2.44 !!!!! :scared:

Tiggs
The money left in my pocket each week tells me that fuel here costs more in terms of a % of my income.
Our mortgage is a little over $600 per month on a 100k loan
Our fuel costs are 3x60 litre tanks per week thats $240 a week $970 per month. Though looking at the fuel account it usually comes in at $800 + as we never actually run the tank dry between fills.

G B I thought you were clocking up the k's driving between different clinics, if it's just to one clinic per day you wouldn't be able to claim anything back
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Anyone care to share theirs? Costing about $110 p/w on petrol and its only only to get worst! Already do the shopping voucher thing. Have found IGA the best place to get fuel at 127.6 c/litre going down to around 121 mid week.
Get a mid-sized diesel car, Holden Astra for example.
It will give you up to 1000kms/tank.
Fill it up with B20 bio-diesel. This is now the same price or even cheaper than unleaded. I filled my Golf up last night with B20, it was 132.5c/l, unleaded at the same garage was 140.9c/l.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:53 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta57
The money left in my pocket each week tells me that fuel here costs more in terms of a % of my income.
Our fuel costs are 3x60 litre tanks per week thats $240 a week $970 per month. Though looking at the fuel account it usually comes in at $800 + as we never actually run the tank dry between fills.

We bought a Holden Commodore but we're going to run it for a year and then exchange it for a more economical car. It was a car bought in a hurry without really considering the rising petrol costs. It's not bad once you're in 5th and cruising (it's not an automatic) but it's still costly. We try not to use it and go by train to Sydney etc.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57

G B I thought you were clocking up the k's driving between different clinics, if it's just to one clinic per day you wouldn't be able to claim anything back
I do clock up the k's when I'm going from Cooroy to Imbil, by the looks of things i'd be able to claim that but nothing else. Ah well I'd pray I'd win the lotto, but I don't do it!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

To save (leccy) turn your water stat down.

Ours was on 75 degrees.. no wonder the water was so hot - and we have a baby in the house.

Petrol. Only thing that does for us is that we don't have to drive in stop/start traffic and/or in an urban cycle at less than 60k an hour. By driving mostly at 80-90k around where we live this is not as bad as driving around the burbs of London.

There is no doubt that if I had to drive to work or at lower speeds I would be very worried. For now, and for a while, I can deal with the cost......but it won't get any easier.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Aug 9th 2006 at 6:04 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:30 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Fill it up with B20 bio-diesel. This is now the same price or even cheaper than unleaded. I filled my Golf up last night with B20, it was 132.5c/l, unleaded at the same garage was 140.9c/l.
I'm really interested in using the biodiesel when we arrive in Oz, but does anyone know if it affects / invalidates new car warranties??
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:22 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Amazulu
Quote:
Haven't found anywhere around Brisbane that sells Bio-diesel although it's supposed to be much better for your car and not only cheaper your car does more miles to the gallon on it as it cleans all the crap out of your cars engine and not as sooty as normal diesel.

Anyone know anywhere in Brisbane that does it?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:30 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by annqldau
Amazulu
Quote:
Haven't found anywhere around Brisbane that sells Bio-diesel although it's supposed to be much better for your car and not only cheaper your car does more miles to the gallon on it as it cleans all the crap out of your cars engine and not as sooty as normal diesel.

Anyone know anywhere in Brisbane that does it?
You can make it yourself! I haven't been able to find anywhere that is selling it as standard, but the Brisbane Biodiesl forum might know of stockists (or you might be able to buy it homemade from them!)

Edit...
Have just found this site which lists official suppliers by map location. None unfortunately in Brisvegas.

Last edited by ridds; Aug 9th 2006 at 9:13 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:25 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
They don't make A2's anymore
About time
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:36 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

UK diesel 98p per litre
my currency converter tells me this is A$2.44 !!!!! :scared:

Tiggs
What no one back home takes into account when you use your currency calculators is that the average distance driven here is 2.5 times that in the UK. So by the time you take that and the much higher service intervals which are measured in KM not miles and are normally nearly twice as often, it all soon adds up and from where I'm sat I can say for sure my fuel/car running costs are proportionately higher than what I was used to back home.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by arkon
What no one back home takes into account when you use your currency calculators is that the average distance driven here is 2.5 times that in the UK. So by the time you take that and the much higher service intervals which are measured in KM not miles and are normally nearly twice as often, it all soon adds up and from where I'm sat I can say for sure my fuel/car running costs are proportionately higher than what I was used to back home.

Yes, we certainly drove more milage when we got here, but we were still in UK mode for a while. But now instead of popping to the shops once or twice a week, we now do a massive monthly shop and use local shops for milk. Our store cupboard overfloweth with the basics.
I go up to the veg market once every two weeks to top up. Because the fridge is bigger, we can put more in it.
I also car share with people here and friends go to a larger town in the car and pay towards the petrol if we need to get major supplies... like three or four of us will go to IKEA or whatever.
Seems to keep the costs down... just think ahead.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 12:29 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Use Aviation fuel - its gonna get real cheap real soon
Old Aug 10th 2006, 12:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spalen
Use Aviation fuel - its gonna get real cheap real soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.