Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Friends from expat meets

Friends from expat meets

Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Jangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really nice
Default Friends from expat meets

I have noticed on quite a few posts that people have made good friends from expats meets. We have been here for over 2 years and been on a few expats meets and although they are good fun, nothing seems to come out of it. You make all the "We must get together" noises but nothing!! I have met quite a few English friends here (not through expats meets) and we have all gone along but all think the same............is it us???????? We have decided to stop going now. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:04 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friends from expat meets

Originally Posted by Jangle
I have noticed on quite a few posts that people have made good friends from expats meets. We have been here for over 2 years and been on a few expats meets and although they are good fun, nothing seems to come out of it. You make all the "We must get together" noises but nothing!! I have met quite a few English friends here (not through expats meets) and we have all gone along but all think the same............is it us???????? We have decided to stop going now. Has anyone else experienced this?
that is because your new best mates haven't got there yet!
and if you stop going you won't meet them
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No it's not you. Yes it happens - a lot. You can't get on like a house on fire with everyone and just because you have migration in common doesn't mean you must be friends with all expats you meet. Whilst going to meets can be fun and lots of people get lots out of it, I don't believe you should necessarily assume you will find people you want to spend time with outside of the meets.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Jangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really nice

That's true. A lot of them have young kids and we all have kids that start from 15 up to their twenties, so maybe that's a factor?
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That's true. A lot of them have young kids and we all have kids that start from 15 up to their twenties, so maybe that's a factor?
I'd go along with that.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It's just like going to any meet-up of people with differing backgrounds and interests. Sometimes you hit it off with someone and a lasting friendship results, otherwise, it's just a good way to pass a day. The good thing is that we (usually) all have one thing in common - migration. Everything else has to be built up though, just like making friends in any other situation.

If you have met some who made the "we must get together" noises, then take them up on it and ring them - maybe they are just shy.

And you can always start a thread in the meet-up forum to try and find like-minded people in your area
Old Oct 7th 2007, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

posh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the rough

Hi all,

I was just looking at diferent threads and thought maybe i could speak to people who are already there !!! At the mo i'm awaiting a case officer so not sure how long it will take. applyin with a 175 /136 MODL.
Head ing for melbourne though never been there. was torn and still am really with port macquarrie though as have friends there too.

How is australia as a expat ?
Do u all love it and was it what u expected ?

I would be gr8ful for just any news of what u all think of it really. Thats if u don't mind. I'm exited yet scared to death.

Diane
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:41 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

the only thing the majority have in common is the fact they have emigrated, I guess they can be helpful for new migrants but they shouldnt be vital as how do you intergrate into your new surroundings if all you do is spend time with expats?

I think the meets in the uk were more helpful because you had more in common ie came from the same area, going through same stages of the process/paperwork for the visa etc.

we have been lucky and met a handful of good people who i also consider good friends.

but we have also been very unlucky to meet some complete and utter bastards, but instead of putting it down to a bad experience unfortunately these kind of people then go spreading shit around about you, presumably to liven up their dull little lives
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:50 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Demeter
the only thing the majority have in common is the fact they have emigrated, I guess they can be helpful for new migrants but they shouldnt be vital as how do you intergrate into your new surroundings if all you do is spend time with expats?

I think the meets in the uk were more helpful because you had more in common ie came from the same area, going through same stages of the process/paperwork for the visa etc.

we have been lucky and met a handful of good people who i also consider good friends.

but we have also been very unlucky to meet some complete and utter bastards, but instead of putting it down to a bad experience unfortunately these kind of people then go spreading shit around about you, presumably to liven up their dull little lives
surely you get this in any group of people ??
if you went down to any gathering be it pub or likewise you`ll meet the good the bad and the wankers

arrange to meet the good again another time and fluck off the wankers
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:03 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
surely you get this in any group of people ??
if you went down to any gathering be it pub or likewise you`ll meet the good the bad and the wankers

arrange to meet the good again another time and fluck off the wankers
yes your right and yes we have
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:14 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Have been to a fair few expats meets and as in all walks of life you meet some people there who will become friends and others who may just be an acquantence for a while, whilst sometimes you meet people who you don't get on with:curse:

One thing to remember is that the internet is a breeding ground of reality being tainted by the fact you don't actually know the people who you are speaking to and only have their word they are a normal person, upon meeting them the realisation that you don't get on or that they aren't what you expected can be weird.

In a sense the main thing you have in common is the fact you have moved to the same country and don't really know anybody! Once you start meeting friends the need to go out and meet expats lessens, but along the way if you meet just one person who becomes a real friend then the effort made to get out there is worth it.

Axxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

ragtag is just really niceragtag is just really niceragtag is just really niceragtag is just really niceragtag is just really niceragtag is just really niceragtag is just really niceragtag is just really nice

Hi where about in NSW are you Jan
Old Oct 8th 2007, 1:22 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a meet....but just had Arnie2oz and Nikkers for dinner...had a blast.....currently they are lost and pished in Yeppoon
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
Not a meet....but just had Arnie2oz and Nikkers for dinner...had a blast.....currently they are lost and pished in Yeppoon

Now why does that not surprise me doll
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acbh2
Have been to a fair few expats meets and as in all walks of life you meet some people there who will become friends and others who may just be an acquantence for a while, whilst sometimes you meet people who you don't get on with:curse:

One thing to remember is that the internet is a breeding ground of reality being tainted by the fact you don't actually know the people who you are speaking to and only have their word they are a normal person, upon meeting them the realisation that you don't get on or that they aren't what you expected can be weird.

In a sense the main thing you have in common is the fact you have moved to the same country and don't really know anybody! Once you start meeting friends the need to go out and meet expats lessens, but along the way if you meet just one person who becomes a real friend then the effort made to get out there is worth it.

Axxxxxxxxxxxx
well said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.