Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Friends from expat meets

Friends from expat meets

Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:01 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friends from expat meets

Originally Posted by steve`o
surely you get this in any group of people ??
if you went down to any gathering be it pub or likewise you`ll meet the good the bad and the wankers

arrange to meet the good again another time and fluck off the wankers
Lol...hmm so well put Steve
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jangle
I have noticed on quite a few posts that people have made good friends from expats meets. We have been here for over 2 years and been on a few expats meets and although they are good fun, nothing seems to come out of it. You make all the "We must get together" noises but nothing!! I have met quite a few English friends here (not through expats meets) and we have all gone along but all think the same............is it us???????? We have decided to stop going now. Has anyone else experienced this?
I think the thing with the Expat meets are; they are good source of like minded conversation when you first get here, treat them a bit like speed dating, chat to someone if you get on great, if you don’t, move on.
The only thing I would add is don’t treat them as your only source of friends, get out and meet other people this way you get a good cross section of society, not just people who miss Next, Marks & Spencer & Tesco’s.

Although one thing I have never understood is, why some people only want to mix with other expats? One of the reasons for moving across the world is to meet people from a different walk of life isn’t it?

Let me add though, we met a great family at an early expat meet who went on to become good friends.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

well it has taken us 3 years to finally feel that we have a small network of freinds. But I think that is because we never made much of an effort and we have always been 'insular' as a couple.

We have met some real nice people since arriving but mainly in hte last 2 months - you guys all know who you are

I finally feel more settled (I didn't feel unsettled - jus didn't realise something was missing) and now arrange to go out or get invited out.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

The social life over here is completely different to the UK. You just cant pop down the local and bump into a few mates. You have to make definite plans and meeting places otherwise it wont happen.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:01 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auspal
The social life over here is completely different to the UK. You just cant pop down the local and bump into a few mates. You have to make definite plans and meeting places otherwise it wont happen.
that is not true of all of Australia it just depends where you have chosen to move to, we have met and have made a very good circle of friends all through the local pub and club. All aussies might I add, we just threw ourselves into the local community, attended social nights, (even if they were not really our scene) took up every invitation we were offered, volunteered ourselves where needed and as a result we have had help with every aspect of living here.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:33 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Demeter
that is not true of all of Australia it just depends where you have chosen to move to, we have met and have made a very good circle of friends all through the local pub and club. All aussies might I add, we just threw ourselves into the local community, attended social nights, (even if they were not really our scene) took up every invitation we were offered, volunteered ourselves where needed and as a result we have had help with every aspect of living here.
totaly right
you have to put yourselves out there and get involved

sat at home hoping the phone will ring just aint goin to work
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:55 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed on quite a few posts that people have made good friends from expats meets. We have been here for over 2 years and been on a few expats meets and although they are good fun, nothing seems to come out of it. You make all the "We must get together" noises but nothing!! I have met quite a few English friends here (not through expats meets) and we have all gone along but all think the same............is it us???????? We have decided to stop going now. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have been to quite a few meets and have found the same happens...numbers, and addresses exchange hands and no one contacts me. I have met a couple of people from BE that I am very good friends with. It's hard here as you are invited to BBQ's and feel a bit awkward...I am hoping to make some more friends soon...I feel like I should be changing my deodorant at the moment!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
totaly right
you have to put yourselves out there and get involved

sat at home hoping the phone will ring just aint goin to work
Totally agree with that, get off your arse and integrate, when you get off the plane people don't know who you are, so they are certainly not going to knock on your door asking do you need mates.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:47 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dicko
Totally agree with that, get off your arse and integrate, when you get off the plane people don't know who you are, so they are certainly not going to knock on your door asking do you need mates.
love your signature
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:56 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Expats life is just like UK life you meet all sorts, some you click with some you don't and some you would like to meet again then number gets lost or you just drift apart.

Have made lots of good friends here, more expats than Aussies but that is purely because most local Aussies here seem more family/stay in the house orientated or only go out to kids sports days or already have all the friends they need. Expats have often left a lot of their friends and family in UK and are therefor more receptive to new friends.

I'll have friends of any form as long as we all get on and have a good time.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

love your signature
Me too
Old Oct 12th 2007, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

love your signature

Originally Posted by sasbear
Me too

The late great Barry Sheene
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:06 am
(^v^)

oo I used to fancy him so much
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:41 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to have a poster of him on my wall and Kenny someone the Yank with the Yellow bike...they were cool in their time.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I met him at Carrara on the Gold Coast where he lived, he was a lovely genuine man, when he heard my accent he asked me where I was from and we had a bit of a yarn about things.

He didnt big note himself at all, in fact we never even mentioned how famous he was or his background. A great guy And I'm not a racing fan either but I recognised him, he was a bit of a looker too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.