British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Freedom of Information/Data protection/getting info (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/freedom-information-data-protection-getting-info-932038/)

Lucas_Dad Apr 3rd 2020 1:20 am

Freedom of Information/Data protection/getting info

I used to know a good amount about data protection back home, but I can't find any clear guidance about my specific need here:

My ex wife has written to my son's preschool about me, stating why she is refusing to have me properly recognised on his application form. The school themselves have said to me in the past that if there is no court order preventing me from being involved (there isn't, and there won't be) there is no reason for me to be excluded. I have asked the preschool to forward me a copy of the email my wife sent them. It is directly in reference to me, is essentially is data they are holding about me, so I feel entitled to see what has been written, and subsequently held. However, the preschool has refused, stating that they "don't want to get involved"...

My lawyer has written to the wife's lawyer about it, but we are not expecting a response, as she never responds to such things. I guess we could subpoena the information from the school, but that's costly and I feel unnecessary anyway.

Any advice? Anyone know what law/legislation I can quote to persuade the school to hand it over?

Cheers

moneypenny20 Apr 6th 2020 12:57 pm

Re: Freedom of Information/Data protection/getting info

Read this the other day, had no clue. Still not sure but can you get into a Citizens Advice Bureau? They should be able to help you.

Lucas_Dad Apr 8th 2020 9:31 am

I had a look into that option following your suggestion. It seems there's no such thing as a CAB, at least in NSW (looks like WA have them), but I may be able to call LawAccess NSW (Legal Aid). I would ask my lawyer but she's now on maternity leave and her replacement's contact details have not been passed on to me yet..

moneypenny20 Apr 8th 2020 9:55 am

My mistake. I saw there was one up here and the ones in WA and didn't look further. Sorry.

teza Apr 9th 2020 11:07 am

I wanted not to answer as per your previous attacks towards my replies. But I have to say. As said before, I lost my sister to the drink and so far you’ve followed every step she unfortunately took before dying, you’re still doing it. Just to wing it from experience, your ex’s letter says don’t let them in the car as he may be over limit, smell his breath before letting kids go etc. Please stop concentrating on your ex, and what she has to say, I’m guessing it’s not to attack you but fir the sake of kids. And if I’m right, you’ll be attacking me again.....