Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Foxtel frustration - advice please

Wikiposts

Foxtel frustration - advice please

Old Jan 24th 2011, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute
Default Foxtel frustration - advice please

Hi all,

We've just moved into a new place and when I was inspecting it I specifically asked the agent if we could have Foxtel and he replied "yes, no problem."

Halfway through the installation one of our neighbours started shouting that we weren't allowed to put a satellite dish on the building due to body corporate rules. We had to stop the installation and the Foxtel guys left without fitting a dish.

Here are some facts :

- It's a heritage building but our dish would not be visible from the ground or front of the house.
- We were never aware that a body corporate existed.
- The 'rule' was made 10 years ago and other residents have since requested it but been refused.
- The dish would need to be fixed to a tin roof and can be done so from our balcony.
- There are 7 units in the building.

I am really angry, as it was one of our specific requirements when looking for a new place. I have a feeling body corporate will refuse our request and wonder if we have any rights as the agent verbally 'promised' it. A lawyer friend says we may be able to argue 'loss of comfort' and get reduced rent.

Anyone have any advice ?

Also has anyone tried getting Foxtel via an xBox ?

Cheers.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foxtel frustration - advice please

Originally Posted by Crystaltipps
Hi all,

We've just moved into a new place and when I was inspecting it I specifically asked the agent if we could have Foxtel and he replied "yes, no problem."

Halfway through the installation one of our neighbours started shouting that we weren't allowed to put a satellite dish on the building due to body corporate rules. We had to stop the installation and the Foxtel guys left without fitting a dish.

Here are some facts :

- It's a heritage building but our dish would not be visible from the ground or front of the house.
- We were never aware that a body corporate existed.
- The 'rule' was made 10 years ago and other residents have since requested it but been refused.
- The dish would need to be fixed to a tin roof and can be done so from our balcony.
- There are 7 units in the building.

I am really angry, as it was one of our specific requirements when looking for a new place. I have a feeling body corporate will refuse our request and wonder if we have any rights as the agent verbally 'promised' it. A lawyer friend says we may be able to argue 'loss of comfort' and get reduced rent.

Anyone have any advice ?

Cheers.

Don't they do cable? We get Foxtel via cable, no sat dish.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:19 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crystaltipps
I reckon that will be your best bet, I've heard it's surprisingly good, but you will have to have ADSL2+ with Telstra Bigpond as the Foxtel traffic is unmetered with them. Everyone else it's metered. I guess you could go with a different provider but would need a big/unlimited download allowance.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:42 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

feel for you - seeing how bad aussie tv is I would be most upset if I couldn't have foxtel having asked permission

Have you raised this with the agent? Did you get the Foxtel installation put in the tenancy agreement, or have it anywhere in writing? What is the landlords view?

Unfortunately some of the rules that blocks make are just nonsense. The issue is how far you are willing to push this. Are you prepared to move out? Are you prepared to have the "body corporate" seek action against you (which may result in you breaching your tenancy) if you can practically install it without their help? Do you want to negotiate a reduced rent?

Or you could try another method of receiving and seek any financial compensation off the rent. But I would certainly go back to the agent on this one

Hope it works out