Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Foreigner fed up with verbal abuse.

Wikiposts

Foreigner fed up with verbal abuse.

Old Apr 15th 2006, 1:19 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Foreigner fed up with verbal abuse.

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
Military support to fragile regimes throughout the world
In realpolitik: supporting oppressive regimes, kicking out legitimately elected leaders and screwing the locals.

Examples available here.

Most of all, it was only 60 years ago, that they saved Europe from Nazi imperialism, and are the reason why today, the U.K. live in a free society with our sovereignty intact.
Not so. It was Russia who bore the brunt of the German war machine, and Russia who eventually pushed Hitler back across Europe.

The Yanks came into the war two years late - if only because Japan had humiliated them at Pearl Harbour. And who can forget their use of the atomic bomb to commit two of the most appalling war crimes in history?

It was the little lions of the Commonwealth (particularly Canada, New Zealand and Australia) who provided primary support to their mother country. Australia's enlistments alone numbered 724,000 - of whom almost 400,000 served outside Australia.

In fact, some of the greatest WWII victories were largely (and sometimes entirely) Australian.

Who fought Rommel to a standstill in Tobruk during a 240-day seige, and drove the Italians from Bardia to Benghazi and beyond? Who stood by the British and helped them to achieve that glorious victory at El Alamein, of which Field Marshal Montgomery later said...

I think this area saw the most determined and savage fighting of the campaign. No quarter was given, and the Australians fought some of the finest German troops in well-prepared positions to a standstill, and by their action did a great deal to win the battle of El Alamein.
...?

Who resisted the Japanese at Kokoda and drove them out of PNG? Who resisted the Japanese at Tarakan and drove them out of Borneo? Who resisted the Japanese at Balikpapan and drove them out of Brunei?

Examples could be multiplied.

They do behave shockingly in areas where they should be taking the lead - e.g. emissions bill for climate change. But I feel in general, world hatred towards the yanks has become fashionable, and therefore unfortunately contagious in recent years.
I do agree with that.

It is difficult to like the Yanks sometimes, but in general they are not too bad.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 1:20 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Foreigner fed up with verbal abuse.

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Vash,
In the immortal words of "The Crowe"

God bless America. God save the Queen. God defend New Zealand and thank Christ for Australia.
Good old Russ, ya gotta love him!
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:50 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreigner fed up with verbal abuse.

Originally Posted by Hutch
Liberating Kosovo (Muslims) from the Serbs - Ermm okay - and the EU, the OSCE and NATO in general had nothing to do with it I suppose? Who said they didn't. The fact is that the yanks - who were attacked in the name of Allah on 9/11 were an instrumental military presence in liberating the muslim Kosovans from Serb oppression.

Preventing the spread of Communism in South America - not entirely sure how that's a good thing, especially given the way they go about achieving that aim. If you're not 'entirely sure' preventing the spread of communism is not a good thing, perhaps North Korea might be a better migration option.

Food Aid to Africa (still the biggest donor) - Mmm - sure - when it's their own self-interests, for instance in countries with massive mineral or fossil fuel deposits. An incredibly cynical outlook. So is aid given to these countries only done so to obtain access to their resources - unless you're not America giving that aid? Africa aside, where are the massive mineral, fossil and fuel deposits in Indonesia. Ironically enough, the largest population of muslims in the world, helped massively by America after the Tsunami.

Military support to fragile regimes throughout the world - again, only when it's in their own self-interest. Again, incredibly cynical, and not an argument that can be consistently proved.

Most of all, it was only 60 years ago, that they saved Europe from Nazi imperialism - they didn't save anyone but themselves. If they hadn't weighed in on 'our' side immediately after Pearl Harbour and the Russians hadn't put up such incredible resistance, then they'd have been goose-stepping down 5th Avenue right now. Fckin hilarious. And if it wasn't so pharcical, would be worth refuting.

Revisionist history serves nobody well. Couldn't agree more.
I'm not going to argue with pedantic bu!! shit. But have responded, in red, to your points.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:16 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to argue with pedantic bu!! shit. But have responded, in red, to your points.
Easy tiger. Just because someone argues the toss with you, doesn't make it pedantic bullshit. However, in keeping with your attitude, I have responded - in red - to your points.

Blow me.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:19 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
In realpolitik: supporting oppressive regimes, kicking out legitimately elected leaders and screwing the locals.
An 'opinion' supported by the work of William Blum, only weakens your argument. Blum is a radical, left wing excentric, who has been publicly endorsed by Osaman Bin Laden, and has denounced America for decades on any action they take in the world, good or bad - to an obsession.

For example, in response to America's involvment in liberating the Kosovons, he proclaimed that Serb attrocities against the Muslims never occured. This is comparable to somebody quoting David Irving (the British 'historian' recently jailed in Austria for denying the holocaust ever existed) in support of a pro Nazi case.

Not so. It was Russia who bore the brunt of the German war machine, and Russia who eventually pushed Hitler back across Europe.
I agree, Russia suffered worse than anybody in the war, but they were only able to push back the Germans through a crucial tactical blunder in the original Nazi offensive, and the fact that Hitler was locked in battle on more than one front, which included massive American support.

I applaud your national pride in mentioning the huge impact Australians had in the allies victory , but as part of the Commonwealth, involvement from your country should not be a surprise. The U.S. was different.

They had already come to Europe's help in WW1 in defeating Germany, and certainly were justified in joining the war after Pearl Harbour, although, I don't know how you can call the incident a humiliation.' This was a surprise attack which killed thousands of innocent people in an act against a nation they were previously at peace with (militarily anyway). So there was no more humiliation to the yanks, than there were to the Japs after the atom bomb (which incidentally, many historians believe saved lives over the longer term).

On the subject of Rommel and El Alamein, my Dad fought in the the western dessert under Monty. It was a significant part in the war, but no more significant than D-Day or the liberation of the South Pacific. Bloody, military battles that included the Yanks.

No matter how much anti-American feeling there is out there today, we should never forget the part they played in liberating Europe from the Nazis. The evidence is everywhere, and I don't have to spend the next hour on Google to find it.

I live in a tiny village in rural Northamptonshire. When we first moved here I went for a bike ride through the country lanes and came to an old air strip in the middle of nowhere, used only now for light cargo and pleasure flights. At the end of the runway, in the most unlikely place stood a gleaming memorial. I was intrigued, and approached it to read the U.S. Flying Fortresses had used the strip in WWII, and the names of the dead Americans were listed - there were hundreds. But the thing that struck me was that only 6 out of every 10 of these beasts used to return.

My Dad always told me about the yanks help even before they 'officially' joined the war. Under huge pressure at home to remain a passive nation, Roosevelt still took risks. American planes, ammunition and other supplies would be flown to the border with Canada, landed, and physically towed across the border. Dad used to go over and then fly these back to the U.K. for use in the war effort - officially coming from our Commonwealth ally, Canada.

It's sometimes not right, but no surprise then, that we support America in military world affairs. Some justified - Afghanistan, some not - Iraq.

Whilst their 'interference' across the globe can often be rightly condemned, cynicism poured on the good yanks do, by declaring they're only acting 'in their own interests,' or by quoting extreme, radical anti American sources, has no substance.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
[indent]
Anti-Americanism 'feels like racism'

As a US citizen living in London, Christian Cox says she is shocked at the amount of abuse she receives because of her nationality.
Well my brother in-law (34 y/o), born in Australia of Lebanese heritage just back from the US for the masters golf kept his head down! Had to almost beg to be served in some eateries - works both ways!
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:16 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Preventing the spread of Communism in South America
Translation: overthrowing or attempting to overthrow legitimately elected left-leaning governments and replacing them with right wing military dictatorships that favoured the repression of human rights, torture, and US-trained death squads.

And we're not just talking about latin America: the main reason the USA has had so much trouble from Iran all these years and is now facing a rabidly anti-American regime desperate to get their hands on nukes stems from 1953, when worries about the control of Iran's oil led the USA (helped by Britain, unfortunately) to overthrow an elected government and restore the power of the monarchy in its place. Monarchy, FFS.

And in response to the original article, my US citizen wife (who lived in London for three and a half years up to late 2002) and several others on the USA forum thought it was a load of bollocks.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:18 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Bush shouldn't have gone into Iraq. And he's probably the worst president they've had in years. But let's not forget the good America has done/is doing in the world:-

Liberating Kosovo (Muslims) from the Serbs
Eradicating the Taliban
Preventing the spread of Communism in South America
Food Aid to Africa (still the biggest donor)
Military support to fragile regimes throughout the world

Most of all, it was only 60 years ago, that they saved Europe from Nazi imperialism, and are the reason why today, the U.K. live in a free society with our sovereignty intact.

They do behave shockingly in areas where they should be taking the lead - e.g. emissions bill for climate change. But I feel in general, world hatred towards the yanks has become fashionable, and therefore unfortunately contagious in recent years.
You watch far too much Fox News.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:17 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
You watch far too much Fox News.
Shhh ... you'll get called pedantic in a minute ...
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Bush shouldn't have gone into Iraq.
Quite right, he should have bypassed Irag and gone straight for Iran.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Quite right, he should have bypassed Irag and gone straight for Iran.
Yeah he's screwed now, no cannon fodder troops left.

So hes going straight for the nuclear (pronounced nucular) option.

Bush 'is planning nuclear strikes on Iran's secret sites'

OH JOY :scared:
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yeah he's screwed now, no cannon fodder troops left.

So hes going straight for the nuclear (pronounced nucular) option.

Bush 'is planning nuclear strikes on Iran's secret sites'

OH JOY :scared:
Got to have somewhere to battle prove the new bombs.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 12:29 am
Just Joined

frodomojo is a jewel in the roughfrodomojo is a jewel in the roughfrodomojo is a jewel in the roughfrodomojo is a jewel in the roughfrodomojo is a jewel in the rough

I dont think its the fact that people hate Americans or the USA, more like they need to get their own house in order before before they can dictate to the rest of the world, look what happened in New Orleans. Once they have eradicated poverty and cured the social and race divide, Maybe then the rest of the word will want to become member states, perhaps????