Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Foreign Correspondent tomorrow

Wikiposts

Foreign Correspondent tomorrow

Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Foreign Correspondent tomorrow

Just saw a trailer for tomorrow's FC on ABC1 at 8pm (aest). http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/
It's about Ireland and people moving overseas (Australia high on the list) because of the recession. Could be interesting if not cheery

Just thought I'd share the info
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:52 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign Correspondent tomorrow

Long live the EUSSR. It might work once it's been whittled down to Germany, Holland and one or two others. But I wouldn't bet on it
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Long live the EUSSR. It might work once it's been whittled down to Germany, Holland and one or two others. But I wouldn't bet on it
EMU has been a disaster. Germany gave up one of the strongest currencies ever, the Deutschmark, for the Euro. What were they thinking?

EMU has been a total clusterf**k for the poor European countries like Ireland, Portugal and Greece.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:03 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>EMU has been a total clusterf**k for the poor European countries like Ireland, Portugal and Greece.<<

It was sad seeing all the cr@p about the "Tiger" economies when countries like Ireland and Spain were booming with EU money - new roads, airports etc - and knowing it was going to blow up sooner or later.

Chickens always come home eventually. Gordon Brown's are pecking at the henhouse door.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
>>EMU has been a total clusterf**k for the poor European countries like Ireland, Portugal and Greece.<<

It was sad seeing all the cr@p about the "Tiger" economies when countries like Ireland and Spain were booming with EU money - new roads, airports etc - and knowing it was going to blow up sooner or later.

Chickens always come home eventually. Gordon Brown's are pecking at the henhouse door.
A lot of what Ireland did to grow it's economy was a good idea; things like low business tax rates to encourage investment - and it worked. But being in the Euro and relying heavily on the housing market was a really bad idea. When they should have been putting up rates to keep a lid on their property boom, they couldn't because of the EMU. Now they pay the price.

Things that Brown did are going to haunt the UK for years. Just as the UK is culling it's military because they can't afford it, the world has suddenly become a far less safe place. Madness.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:44 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

At least you don't get as much corruption in the EU as you get in Aus.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:49 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Rambi
At least you don't get as much corruption in the EU as you get in Aus.
I don't know which is worse but corruption in the EU is pretty bad. There is plenty of info out there about this from people like the UKIP and other small players in the EU.

I'm not against the EU as such but I am against the Euro.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

This is a cracking read on th Irish recession.

They have a general election this week, hope whoever gets in can stop the 'bailout'

Last edited by freebo; Feb 21st 2011 at 1:16 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 1:50 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by freebo

They have a general election this week, hope whoever gets in can stop the 'bailout'
>>........... I was told by an Irish property developer, who was finding it difficult to escape the hundreds of millions of euros in debt he owed.<<

I can't feel sorry, frankly, for people like that. If the party had gone on they would have been crowing how they had used borrowed money to make even bigger fortunes. The risk goes with the game: trouble is, we have a couple of generations who believe that risk is just a word and not a reality.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
>>........... I was told by an Irish property developer, who was finding it difficult to escape the hundreds of millions of euros in debt he owed.<<

I can't feel sorry, frankly, for people like that. If the party had gone on they would have been crowing how they had used borrowed money to make even bigger fortunes. The risk goes with the game: trouble is, we have a couple of generations who believe that risk is just a word and not a reality.
Its the Irish people I feel sorry for, at a stroke their govt bankrupted them for years to come, by the single act of guaranteeing the reckless loans made by the Irish banks to international institutions.

Who benefits? The UK, German, French (etc) banks.

Who looses? The Irish people.

What should have happened? The Irish govt should have guaranteed the deposits and let the bond holders take a loss.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 2:38 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's part of it. But the influx of EUSSR "free" money (actually, paid for by the other members' taxes) fuelled a false boom and a euphoric feeling that all was well with the world and that it would continue indefinitely.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Great article if a bit heavy going.

Never have the Micks running your bank!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Its the Irish people I feel sorry for, at a stroke their govt bankrupted them for years to come, by the single act of guaranteeing the reckless loans made by the Irish banks to international institutions.

Who benefits? The UK, German, French (etc) banks.

Who looses? The Irish people.

What should have happened? The Irish govt should have guaranteed the deposits and let the bond holders take a loss.
Lets be fair about this - I read an article yesterday about Irish Citizens planning to go bankrupt in the UK since they will be discharged in 1 year whereas in Ireland it is 10 years.

The article contained an interview with someone who had mortgages on properties of approaching 600k euros but they were worth 300k if he was lucky. This guy only earned about 30k a year. The bank might have been stupid enough to lend him the money but he was also stupid enough to think the sun will always shine and I can leverage myself almost to infinity.

There was a lot of people in Ireland who got sucked in to making easy money in the property market - the 2000+ ghost housing estates in Ireland are testament to that - EVERYONE had their face in the trough not just the banks.

If you say to the bondholders "go forth and multiply" the Irish Government suddenly finds it cannot borrow a single euro anywhere anymore ever again and the whole house of cards collapses which is not a nice scenario.
I've taken that section out as I'm not 100% certain that it is a valid point anymore after reading the article someone posted.

It sucks for the people who have been royally shafted by their government though.

Last edited by hoofie2002; Feb 21st 2011 at 5:45 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Lets be fair about this - I read an article yesterday about Irish Citizens planning to go bankrupt in the UK since they will be discharged in 1 year whereas in Ireland it is 10 years.

The article contained an interview with someone who had mortgages on properties of approaching 600k euros but they were worth 300k if he was lucky. This guy only earned about 30k a year. The bank might have been stupid enough to lend him the money but he was also stupid enough to think the sun will always shine and I can leverage myself almost to infinity.

There was a lot of people in Ireland who got sucked in to making easy money in the property market - the 2000+ ghost housing estates in Ireland are testament to that - EVERYONE had their face in the trough not just the banks.

If you say to the bondholders "go forth and multiply" the Irish Government suddenly finds it cannot borrow a single euro anywhere anymore ever again and the whole house of cards collapses which is not a nice scenario. It sucks for the people who have been royally shafted by their government though.
Fair point. Nobody forces you to take a loan.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

This annoys me so much

What has occurred in Ireland since then is without precedent in economic history. By the start of the new millennium, the Irish poverty rate was under 6 percent and by 2006 Ireland was one of the richest countries in the world. How did that happen? A bright young Irishman who got himself hired by Bear Stearns in the late 1990s and went off to New York or London for five years returned feeling poor. For the better part of a decade there has been quicker money to be made in Irish real estate than in investment banking. How did that happen?

I lived in Dublin for 6 years and everywhere I went there were signs saying 'Payed for by the EU'. Motorways, railways, everything, paid for by the EU.

Now the EU is stuffed, Ireland is whinging it's not getting it pocket money and is going bankrupt. Ahh diddums, we paid for you for 30 years, now its time to stand on your own 2 feet.

JTL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.